Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.6 JK exhaust manifold crack?

Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 3.6 JK exhaust manifold crack?

I can’t find any exhaust manifolds for a 3.6 V6. Called the dealership parts department, but they couldn’t find anything either.

I recently crushed the exhaust crossover on a rock. It bent the bolts for the exhaust spacer on the passenger side, and was completely open. Jeep threw a code for the 02 sensor and it smelled like a boat. I went in today to have the trail patch (flex tube) replaced with a bent piece. After the guy finished, he said I cracked the manifold on the driver side. I believe him, I can still smell a leak somewhere, and can hear a whistling when I’m in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear and decelerating. Whistling goes away if I’m coasting in neutral, the second I depress the clutch, or if I upshift to way too high of a gear (5th gear at 35mph).

Anyone have any comments or experience? I took a look under the Jeep and could only trace the exhaust back to the cats. Almost looks like it bolts straight into the engine block. I couldn’t see any cracks, but I also have no idea what I’m looking at.

This is what I had done (yeah I really need to get off my butt and bolt my oil pan skid on ):

Last edited by BoraBora; 07-03-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the manifolds are cast with the head so it might be tough to crack one
Old 07-03-2018, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MacRubi2
I believe the manifolds are cast with the head so it might be tough to crack one
Looks like you're right. I crawled around with a flashlight for 20 minutes, but couldn't find a single crack. I wonder if a crushed gasket might be the culprit...
Old 07-03-2018, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Well I guess a little update here, and also thinking out loud:

Spent some time trying to find someone else who did this, and this thread sounds exactly like my issue (excuse the website): https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...k-on-pentastar

Since there are no cracks at the heads, I'm thinking I can go to the dealer and tell them I have bad cats. Luckily cats are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles under Federal Emissions Warranty. Manifolds are only for 24,000 miles/2 years. Thinking I mention nothing of trail damage, spend some time cleaning the undercarriage before going in, and say I was getting "custom exhaust work done to delete the cruddy exhaust spacers" when they noticed a leak where the cats bolt up to the "manifold" (head).

Feel free to voice any comments. Trying to go wheeling in 2 weeks, so hoping to knock this out before then.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AFE makes two pipes that I think every 3.6 should have installed. One is a pipe that relocates the crossover pipe behind the cross member and the other is a loop delete (straight pipe). Much better and out of the way. Sorry, I can't offer any input on the cats.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

y, only have the one pic to go off of, but was going to ask why not just totally reroute the exhaust if you were going in to a shop anyhow? Can't recall if the 2dr crossover runs much differently than the 4dr, but I would have routed it away from that front DS (and in front of the cross member) if I was paying someone anyhow. Realize you're not asking about that at all....was just curious.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by T&ERun
AFE makes two pipes that I think every 3.6 should have installed. One is a pipe that relocates the crossover pipe behind the cross member and the other is a loop delete (straight pipe). Much better and out of the way. Sorry, I can't offer any input on the cats.
Can't find any for 2 doors. Looks like they only offer the loop delete for us.

Originally Posted by resharp001
y, only have the one pic to go off of, but was going to ask why not just totally reroute the exhaust if you were going in to a shop anyhow? Can't recall if the 2dr crossover runs much differently than the 4dr, but I would have routed it away from that front DS (and in front of the cross member) if I was paying someone anyhow. Realize you're not asking about that at all....was just curious.
I didn't have very many options without doing a full on custom exhaust ($$$ vs. $). I also didn't want to mess with the loop on the drivers side; I've heard nightmares of people removing it and noticing a loss in performance. Absolutely stupid design, but I'm working around what's already there. Looks like autos have better protection for the crossover pipe. They have this secondary bar that bolts onto the crossmember and kind of protects it from what happened to mine:

Why they put it on the autos and skipped the manuals...I have no idea. I'll be fabbing up some sort of skid to protect the crossover soon. Just need to drop my gas tank skid, flatten it with a BFH, install a 3/16" skid, and bolt my oil pan skid on first. My undercarriage is begging for attention.

Last edited by BoraBora; 07-04-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I found a steal of a deal on a barely used AFE y-pipe years ago, so re-rerouted the exhaust behind the cross member. Had a couple buddies have mom 'n pop muffler shops do the same thing for ~$50-70. I mainly did it to free up DS clearance. Coarse, the issue with re-routing like that is you get close to that gas tank corner, and have to be comfortable doing that.....heat shield over all the fuel lines and corner of gas tank. Yup, time for some sort of oil/tranny skid which would cover all that up. surprised your cross member doesn't look bad at all. My factory looks terrible, but it's a common place to hit on 4dr.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
Originally Posted by BoraBora
Can't find any for 2 doors. Looks like they only offer the loop delete for us.I didn't have very many options without doing a full on custom exhaust ($$$ vs. $). I also didn't want to mess with the loop on the drivers side; I've heard nightmares of people removing it and noticing a loss in performance. Absolutely stupid design, but I'm working around what's already there. Looks like autos have better protection for the crossover pipe. They have this secondary bar that bolts onto the crossmember and kind of protects it from what happened to mine:

Why they put it on the autos and skipped the manuals...I have no idea. I'll be fabbing up some sort of skid to protect the crossover soon. Just need to drop my gas tank skid, flatten it with a BFH, install a 3/16" skid, and bolt my oil pan skid on first. My undercarriage is begging for attention.
I had an email with the guys at AFE, they said they only list the 4-door because that's what they were working with, and they were not sure if it would fit the 2-door or not.

Magnaflow also makes one, and they list the same part number for either 2 door or 4 door. Also, it doesn't appear that Mangaflow includes any heat shielding for the fuel lines and fuel tank. At least not shown on their website.

Also, that extra crossover is pointless. It is super soft steel. Everyone I have seen on a Jeep that gets wheeled ends up crumpled up like an old napkin the first time it brushes a rock. Pretty sure it is just a feel good part they put on hoping people won't play in the rocks.

Last edited by tjkamp; 07-04-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

the metal gaskets between the heads and the cats will warp when you hit that cross pipe hard enough. i was with my buddy when he did exactly that. all of the sudden got the wfft wfftt wfft sound and threw a code. Stupid design and not an easy place to get to to change the gaskets.

Quick Reply: 3.6 JK exhaust manifold crack?