Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.6 JK exhaust manifold crack?

Old 07-07-2018, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
the metal gaskets between the heads and the cats will warp when you hit that cross pipe hard enough. i was with my buddy when he did exactly that. all of the sudden got the wfft wfftt wfft sound and threw a code. Stupid design and not an easy place to get to to change the gaskets.
Me thinks you're spot on. This is what my crossover pipe looks like:

I dropped the Jeep at the dealer on Friday, and they said the cats are fine and they blamed the leak on my "custom exhaust." Go figure. I'm surprised they didn't try to sell me on something though. Anyways, I welded in a new muffler, and now the leak from the "manifold" on the driver side is very prominent. Ordered up a gasket from RockAuto for $8, so I'm gonna start there. Hoping I didn't bend the flange on the cat, but that's worst case scenario...and just $200 to replace.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Found the culprit. This is the driver side where the cat bolts onto the "manifold" aka the head. Holy moly, not sure how that shifted over. Ordered a spare gasket anyways, but I'm hoping I can just loosen the bolts and shift everything back over to seal that hole. No wonder my Jeep keeps throwing codes P0171 and P0174 (running too lean):

Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Well, looks like that’s normal ^

at this point I feel like I’m chasing my tail. Can’t visually find any leaks or cracks, and the whistling noise has gotten progressively louder (crack in the “manifold” would go away after driving for a while, no? The metal expands as it heats, sealing the crack? Or at least reducing the whistling noise?). Anyways... no longer have the time or desire to mess with it.

Drove the Jeep to D.C. today and the check engine light came on and off multiple times while I was sitting in traffic. Not sure what kind of headache I’ve caused myself, but I’m dropping the Jeep off at Sunoco (surprisingly the ONLY people willing to touch it, after I was turned away by the dealer, custom exhaust shop, and a few small mom-n-pop shops) tomorrow and the guy is going to start tearing it apart.

Fingers crossed I didn’t crack the “manifold” aka the head. I’m really surprised nobody else has had any sort of issue similar to mine. Where are the 2 doors that have a 3.6 and wheel???

Last edited by BoraBora; 07-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
the metal gaskets between the heads and the cats will warp when you hit that cross pipe hard enough. i was with my buddy when he did exactly that. all of the sudden got the wfft wfftt wfft sound and threw a code. Stupid design and not an easy place to get to to change the gaskets.
He didn’t get any sort of whistling noise? Were you guys able to visually see the gasket was warped while it was all still assembled? Or did the cat have to come off first?

Last edited by BoraBora; 07-11-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

yes it whistled like crazy. could not see it until pulled the cat and the metal gaskets where warped. I can tell by looking at the shape of your cross over that is probably what it is. His cross over was not near that bad. you should be able to crawl under there when it is running and pin point the source of the noise. I crawled under his and knew exactly where the exhaust leak was.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced that laminated stainless steel gasket between the head/manifold and the exhaust flange on my 2014 with 29K miles on it this past Tuesday evening. I was hearing the pft pft pft that sped up and slowed down in relation to throttle. Mine is simple to get at and change because I ripped my inner fenders off and I have a 1.25" body lift. I just leaned in on my tire and used a 3/8" ratchet, 10mm socket and a 10" wobble extension to get the 2 top bolts and the 1 lower/front bolt out. Then I got under it on a creeper and reached up with a 10mm ratchet wrench and got that lower rear one that is in a tight configuration. Total time was maybe 10 minutes to remove. I got the new laminated gasket from the local Jeep dealership for $16 and slapped it back in. At least for now the annoying air leak is gone.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. Was hoping it was just the gasket, but looks like I bent the entire flange where the cat bolts onto the manifold. Replacement ($175 Walker catalytic converter from RockAuto) on the way.

Quick Reply: 3.6 JK exhaust manifold crack?