Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.6 w/RIPP and 4.88 gears, LIMP MODE. HELP!

Old 11-23-2013, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6 w/RIPP and 4.88 gears, LIMP MODE. HELP!

2013 JKUR just changed to 4.88 gears. Using Trinity and adjusted gear ratio and tire size now Jeep goes into limp mode and throws transmission codes. Called RIPP, Chris says they've had issues with some 3.6 that wont take the gear ration change through the Trinity and that they've fixed it by using the AEV for ration and tire size on top of the Trinity. He suggested call Trinity and see if they've come up with an update to fix this. Called Trinity tech support. He says update the Trinity and see if it'll work. He couldn't/wouldn't say if he was aware of the concern and whether or not it'd been fixed. He basically said you'll have to try it and see, and to make sure you do "quick adjust" for gears and tires separate from installing the tune. Sooooo, I updated Trinity, loaded original tune back in Jeep, installed RIPP custom tune, after tune installed, quick adjusted for gears and tires, still throwing codes. Bought AEV, loaded gear change and tire size, still throws codes and goes into limp mode. Currently starting back from the beginning, again. Anybody else have similar/same issues and may be able to offer any assistance would be MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What does AEV say?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

They're closed today. They're on my list of who to call Monday morning. All info online supprts AEV being able to adjust for gears/tires. Can't really find anything online about AEV stacked on top of Trinity like RIPP suggests.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had same problem when I decided to run 4.56 rear gears only (dont worry front DS removed) with my Procal and limp mode was a problem. The fix was to raise the tire size higher than what they actually measured. I had 37 KO's at the time that measured 35.25. I had to go up to 37.25 to get limp mode to go away. The next step per AEV would have been to disconnect battery for 2 hours. You may have had success with just adding the Procal if you disconnected battery for 2 hours first.

I later switched to 37 M/T-R's which are much taller but I did not have to change the settings again and have driven 3Kish miles since upping tire size.

Lusky
Old 11-23-2013, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also,

When you get it working please let me know your thoughts of having 4.88 w/ Ripp. I did 4.56 rear only sort of as a test before I get my PR 44 & 60. I plan to get the Ripp also but would like to get both axles swapped out first and just really unsure if I want 4.56 or 4.88. My plan I guess now is to go ahead with the Ripp first but this keeps me in 2wd longer.

thanks,
Lusky
Old 11-25-2013, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

I love my Jeep again. My hat goes off to Ross, Chris, and I'm sure numerous other RIPP employees, for once again exceeding my expectations. All it took was a phone call to Ross this morning. By lunch I was test driving, without issues. Apparently there have been a half dozen or so '13 JK's that wouldn't take the gear ratio/tire size change from the Trinity. Because of RIPP's relationship with Diablo Sport, they were able to get Diablo Sport to provide them with a specific tool update that allowed my '13 JK, like the others, to accept the gear ratio/tire size difference without stacking the AEV on top of the tune. Ross also provided me with the most recent, updated tune for my application. Not only is the performance more than what I expected, but I averaged 20.9 mpg (4.88's and 37" MTR's) on my 22 mile commute home (12-14 traffic signals). I'll be honest though, I did take it easy on the way home, and several of the lights were green. Tomorrow I'll drive it like I stole it and say screw the gas mileage. I didn't by a Jeep to save on fuel anyway.

As far as the 4.88 on 37's and RIPP supercharged......I'd say it's a match made in heaven. For me at least. It moves off the line better than stock and really gets going when you get into it. I don't do long distance often, so for me it's perfect.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dreedjr
I love my Jeep again. My hat goes off to Ross, Chris, and I'm sure numerous other RIPP employees, for once again exceeding my expectations. All it took was a phone call to Ross this morning. By lunch I was test driving, without issues. Apparently there have been a half dozen or so '13 JK's that wouldn't take the gear ratio/tire size change from the Trinity. Because of RIPP's relationship with Diablo Sport, they were able to get Diablo Sport to provide them with a specific tool update that allowed my '13 JK, like the others, to accept the gear ratio/tire size difference without stacking the AEV on top of the tune. Ross also provided me with the most recent, updated tune for my application. Not only is the performance more than what I expected, but I averaged 20.9 mpg (4.88's and 37" MTR's) on my 22 mile commute home (12-14 traffic signals). I'll be honest though, I did take it easy on the way home, and several of the lights were green. Tomorrow I'll drive it like I stole it and say screw the gas mileage. I didn't by a Jeep to save on fuel anyway.

As far as the 4.88 on 37's and RIPP supercharged......I'd say it's a match made in heaven. For me at least. It moves off the line better than stock and really gets going when you get into it. I don't do long distance often, so for me it's perfect.
Please be careful driving it spiritedly, the gears need a bit to break in correctly. I'm sure you'll be more than pleased with their performance!

Quick Reply: 3.6 w/RIPP and 4.88 gears, LIMP MODE. HELP!