Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.8 engine upgrades

Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.8 engine upgrades

Are the only options really SC’s, TC’s, or 505 Performance? And in regards to 505 Performance, I have only seen 1 good review in an article on fourwheeler.com, and then 3 bad reviews on the BBB. They have some videos on YouTube that look promising. Has anyone else had or knows of anyone who has had a good experience with 505 Performance? Are there other lesser known sources out there that my Google searches aren’t showing?

I know that the more popular answer is simply to drop a Hemi or LS into my JK. However, I’m not trying to build a racer. I also really don’t like the idea of all of the additional work and costs involved. R&R’ing my existing engine and adding parts to increase compression, cam lobe duration and lift, and port-n-polish the heads seems way easier. Then I would only need a good PCM tune.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Allthewayjumper (07-07-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

I believe you could buy the rotating assembly from 505 as they sell a kit that gets rid of the crappy rod bearing issues and the oil rings are normal width. You can increase the compression height to pickup CR. You want a slightly higher lift cam for the torque and you can use stock with an increase in rocker arm ratio if you shop around. Do not use aluminum rockers they fail eventually as they were designed to reduce mass but they are short lived. But I would simply go for a better cam and keep the standard ratio rockers.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I look at anything with the 3.8 as throwing good money after bad. Either leave it alone or swap it out. It's not terrible as long as you're not setting the bar high in the performance realm. I tolerate mine while I contemplate spending the money and doing the LS swap. Until that time, I change the oil and leave it alone.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
I look at anything with the 3.8 as throwing good money after bad. Either leave it alone or swap it out. It's not terrible as long as you're not setting the bar high in the performance realm. I tolerate mine while I contemplate spending the money and doing the LS swap. Until that time, I change the oil and leave it alone.
This ^ . The 3.8L started life as a 3.3L design and is already bored & stroked to the end of its capability. You could work on breathing, cams, blower, etc. til the cows come home and you'll never overcome the BS 42RLE automatic trans. Best thing to do is regear sensibly for your tire size, run it and be happy. I have frinds who've done LS & Hemi swaps into 3.8s with differing levels of cost and frustration, one guy did a RIPP and had nothing but issues with check engine codes, etc. Unless you are simply in love with the JK 3.8L you have (like me) performance money is better spent on a newer Jeep with better bones in the powertrain department.
horrocks007 (07-20-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 03:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoK66
This ^ . The 3.8L started life as a 3.3L design and is already bored & stroked to the end of its capability. You could work on breathing, cams, blower, etc. til the cows come home and you'll never overcome the BS 42RLE automatic trans. Best thing to do is regear sensibly for your tire size, run it and be happy. I have frinds who've done LS & Hemi swaps into 3.8s with differing levels of cost and frustration, one guy did a RIPP and had nothing but issues with check engine codes, etc. Unless you are simply in love with the JK 3.8L you have (like me) performance money is better spent on a newer Jeep with better bones in the powertrain department. Do you want to buy the best gps for truckers? click here
I have great thinking with the 3.8 as throwing good money after bad. Either anyone leave it alone or swap it out. Really It's not terrible as long as you're not setting the bar high in the performance realm .For a long derive one sometimes worried about car's battery.

Last edited by harveyspecter1209; 06-30-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Allthewayjumper (07-07-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you thought about re-gearing?
Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

The 3.8L is a pretty decent engine. I've done some custom PCM tuning to cut the detonation (ping) and bring in the fuel enrichment without delay, but it ran fine for 100K without that. Rod bearing failures may be related to 20 grade oil (either directly from viscosity at high temperature or indirectly from increased oil consumption and low oil volume). ~100K of regular oil analysis with 5w-40 and the wear numbers are low on mine. In any case, it's hard to say rod bearing failure is even more probable with the 3.8L without some statistics.

I'm with SoK66 on forced induction, engine swaps, etc. Seen too many issues that add too much risk to the risk/reward ratio. And there is always the long term ownership problem of who can diagnose a problem on a one-of-a-kind vehicle.

505 stroker -- No real success stories, only failures. Increase compression and/or increase cam lift/duration??? Even if quality speed parts could be found, it's not very practical. More duration/lift cam results in loss of low end torque plus a rough idle (the opposite of what a Jeep is designed for), and the factory compression ratio of 9.6/1 is pretty optimistic for regular or mid-grade fuel on a warm day.

I say love the 3.8L for it's reliable simplicity or just trade it in --
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

5.3, 4.8, 5.7, 6.0 ls swap ........ Dont waste time and money on a 3.8, do a hemi swap if you can afford it..
Old 07-03-2019, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a way to solve the poor performance of the 3.8L. I have a solution. No lame responses like get a Hemi or worse a GM 350 or even chuck the whole set-up for a 2012-18 Wrangler. The Jeep community fails to recognize the planned obsolescence that goes into all NEW products. You have to consider why the 3.8L was able to meet emission regulation that allowed Jeep to use this engine design for the Wrangler. I will respond if you reply to my post.. I have logged 1,000's of miles with this current modification. Success is what I've had. Do not respond unless you are serious. Allthewayjumper!
Old 07-04-2019, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What's your secret Jumper- change the oil? That's all I've done with mine and she's sitting pretty at 200k miles. Keeping weight out of the vehicle also gives it a little more oomph but you can't keep the weight out and have it fully loaded for off-road days. It really isn't that bad though. My girlfriend has a '16 with the pentastar and it's nice but somehow the old 3.8 still puts a smile on my face every day.
Allthewayjumper (07-04-2019)

Quick Reply: 3.8 engine upgrades