Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 inch lift kit...which kind to get???

Old 03-29-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 inch lift kit...which kind to get???

Hi...wanting to modify my jeep with a 3inch lift. Was looking at the ready lift kit. Since I am going with the Toyo 35x12x17 MT, I've been told that I need to get new shocks and springs to be able to with stand these beefy toyo tires.

Does anyone have the knowledge on what to get or are the vendors trying to over charge me for some unnecessary add on's?

Please help!

Thank you!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Research first:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3739149870.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	541577  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are a couple of stickies at the top of the Modified JK Tech section. Read them, and you will get a pretty good understanding of what all you will need. Depending on what you plan to use the JKU for, 3" might not be your best suggestion. I'm sure some guys will chime in soon, that have forgotten more than I will ever know, So I will let them make suggestions on what would work for your needs.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Some kits suck. Some are great. Some cost too much for what you might or might not want to do. Lots of variables.

What's your plans for your Jeep? What would you like to do with it?

With more info some could probably steer you in a good direction. You don't need a 3'' lift to run 35'' Toyo's. You technically can run them on the stock suspension with some cutting and flatties and longer bump stops. So that rumor on needing bigger shocks and springs to handle them is inaccurate imo. Your stockers can handle them. However, I would definitely do a small lift for 35's to look and perform better.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

So which size lift are you talking about? 2.5? I don't want to do any trimming on my jeep, so that's why I was thinking of the 3inch lift to give it enough clearance. I am a full on beginner, so I plan on starting out on just some trail.

I also believe in getting the best product for the best price. I appreciate your help and opinion on this matter.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Well, just depends on what your budget is. The higher you go the more likely you'll need to replace your driveshaft-faster and possibly other things. I've never put 35's on my jeep so I can't speak from experience if you'll get by without cutting your pinch seams or not.

I would "think" if you don't want to, you'll probably need some adjustable arms to push that axel back to recenter it in the wheel wells to try to clear your tires of the pinch seams. I went to 37s and had to, of course 35s are a little smaller...

I would do some searching to make sure you wont need to trim unless others with that experience will chime in?

Since your only going to do some light trails...etc, I wouldn't drop a ton of money into the lift unless money is no barrier. 2.5" and 35s seem to be the bread and butter for most peoples builds on the JK.

I personally went bigger to be different myself.

Sent from my hand-held Go Go Gadget Contraption

Last edited by D3ADLY; 03-29-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Personally I wouldn't do 3" unless you plan to run 37's. Bigger (taller) isn't always better, especially with jeeps. 2-2.5 is plenty for 35's in my opinion. Depending on the type of wheeling you plan to do your more then likely going to want to trim the pinch seam. I know you said you don't want to but it is simple and very easy to do.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Bren1531- by going to 35's are you ready for a drop in road performance? In acceleration, throttle response and mpg. That's the trade off to get increased off road performance. Suggest to off road fully stock your first year. Learn your rigs quirks, pick lines and wheel placement, decide how you will build for the trails you will go on.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by bren1531
I also believe in getting the best product for the best price. I appreciate your help and opinion on this matter.
Did you happen to read the "ReadyLift Limited Lifetime NO Fine Print Warranty" ?? You really should!!

As mentioned, open the two sticky threads and read. Get a better idea of what effects lifting will have, what the different components do, and why some versions of components may be better for your needs than others.

For instance, does the 3" lift you are looking at have any form of caster correction? Is it something you might want at that height?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a 3 inch synergy lift. Drives beautifully and with my flat fenders im running 37's without issue. If your set on 3" go synergy! Awesome coils.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4002754390.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	541715

Quick Reply: 3 inch lift kit...which kind to get???