Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35" and 37" Tire Carrier Experiences (with cost)

Old 03-05-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" and 37" Tire Carrier Experiences (with cost)

I want to keep my back seat and forum consensus says I need a spare. To pay $700+ to keep from tearing off my tailgate seems pretty excessive, Yes...I know a tailgate repair would be more expensive! What is everyone using and what was the cost? My only requirement is that it swings WITH the tailgate. I don't want to open 2 things just to get my dog into the back. Oh, yeah...it also needs to be less expensive and sturdy. I have a 2013 2dr.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teraflex hinge. Cost about $450. Can get away with just the hinge with 35's but with a 37 I believe you will need their carrier as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Teraflex hinge. Cost about $450. Can get away with just the hinge with 35's but with a 37 I believe you will need their carrier as well.
Can I buy just the part number 4838100 (Teraflex JK HD Aluminum Hinged Tire Carrier) and skip the adjustable tire mount until I get the 37" tires?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by itsthelaw

Can I buy just the part number 4838100 (Teraflex JK HD Aluminum Hinged Tire Carrier) and skip the adjustable tire mount until I get the 37" tires?
Yes you can.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=itsthelaw;3853644]I want to keep my back seat and forum consensus says I need a spare. To pay $700+ to keep from tearing off my tailgate seems pretty excessive, Yes...I know a tailgate repair would be more expensive! What is everyone using and what was the cost? My only requirement is that it swings WITH the tailgate. I don't want to open 2 things just to get my dog into the back. Oh, yeah...it also needs to be less expensive and sturdy. I have a 2013 2dr.[/QUOTE

Take a look at this: Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier in Black, For 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK, Quadratec Part No: 22202.2001, Manufacturer Part No: 2743, $129.99, Attaches to the factory tailgate using the existing holes and requires no drilling or modifications. Completely adjustable and designed to mount up to a 37" tire or up to 195 lbs. Hope this helps...

rock
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

is it me or does that smitty carrier look like its gonna have the same kinda problems as a stock carrier still looks like its gonna rape a tailgate first bump you rock
Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pjmjk
is it me or does that smitty carrier look like its gonna have the same kinda problems as a stock carrier still looks like its gonna rape a tailgate first bump you rock
I've read some good reviews on it when the wife and i were looking. But after seeing the OR-Fab carrier, I was able to talk my better half into letting me get it instead. Really like it and install wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It's never fun when I have to drill into the body

Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View 2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	535526Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View 1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	535527

rock
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

I went ahead and purchased the Teraflex carrier and adjustable mount from John at ORW. Their price was lower than any I have seen, and he was very helpful. I am going to go up to 37" when I burn through the 35" tire that are on it now, so will need the ability to adjust and it gives it a bit more strength. Thanks for the ideas and comments.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by itsthelaw
I went ahead and purchased the Teraflex carrier and adjustable mount from John at ORW. Their price was lower than any I have seen, and he was very helpful. I am going to go up to 37" when I burn through the 35" tire that are on it now, so will need the ability to adjust and it gives it a bit more strength. Thanks for the ideas and comments.
Cool. Let us see some pics after the install...

rock

Quick Reply: 35" and 37" Tire Carrier Experiences (with cost)