Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35" DuraTrac vs BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 - Everyday Ride Quality ?

Old 09-02-2015, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" DuraTrac vs BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 - Everyday Ride Quality ?

First off, thank you to everyone who posts to these forums. Days reading these forums have taught me more than years driving my own Wrangler.

About to bite the bullet and move up in size, and the contenders are familiar to all; the DuraTrac LT315/70R17, vs the BFG All Terrain T/A KO2, in 35X12.5R17LT. Very similar tires, similar dimensions. BFG is load rated "E" - Goodyear is rated "D" They really are...well...similar. They both come in black. They're both made of rubber. They go under the Jeep.

Every day ride comfort is a huge consideration; my life dictates that I'm going to be spending 90% of my time driving around town, and only 10% off road. I'm probably never going to disconnect my sway bar. Doubt I'll be rock crawling. Probably put in a 2.5" lift and swap out the wheels, rather than use a spacer on my stock 17" rims. But I'll like the look better; I'll enjoy the increased handling in the rain, and I'll be ready when Atlanta gets 2" of snow and the entire damn city explodes into chaos (sigh) And when I drive into the mountains, I'll chuckle when the cabin rental guy tells me that the road "...is a little rough."

Here's the thing - my instinct tells me the DuraTrac's will give me a better ride on the highway, but I don't like the look as much as the BFG's (they just seem...squat) I know that shouldn't bother me, but it kinda does. It's a preference, and I'm sure others feel differently. From those who know, am I really going to notice that huge of a difference between the two, all other things being equal ? Would adding another piece of equipment mitigate the "E" tires, so they ride like the "D's" ? Am I making too much of this ?

After hundreds of pages, I feel like I've lost perspective - I'd appreciate some of yours. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Not apples to apples but I run KO2 in 34x10.5-17 D rated and Toyo AT2's in 35x12.5-17 E rated and there is no difference on the highway in how they ride. This is on a jkur. Both ride great the KO2's are slightly noisier but not enough to make a wit of difference. I have both mounted on their own rims so easy for me to go back and forth. If I could only have one set no question it would be the Toyos. Maybe if I was running a light 2 door I would have different results but mine weighs over 5000lb. This empty before adding heavy rear bumper and 148lbs of rocker protection and nobody in the vehicle full tank of gas.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Between the 2, hands down Duratracs for your needs. You can't see the tires from inside anyway.

Oh! And welcome to the forum......make sure you have a flak jacket.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fredrok
Between the 2, hands down Duratracs for your needs. You can't see the tires from inside anyway.

Oh! And welcome to the forum......make sure you have a flak jacket.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'm looking forward to the responses about that "squat" comment
Old 09-02-2015, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty dead set on the Duratrac tires regardless if being back ordered through mid October. They have the highest rain/snow/ice ratings of everything I looked at in 35's. Not sure if that's a factor for you or not, but it was meaningful to me.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Just went through the same process a month ago. I went with duratracs, the ride is way smoother than my mtrs. Both tires are good my decision came down to tread depth and snow traction. And since every time you walk up to the jeep you'll stare at the tires get the ones you like. Between these two tires I don't think you can lose.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Really appreciating the responses so far. Thank you !
Old 09-02-2015, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jpiggot
Really appreciating the responses so far. Thank you !
After all my research I am going with Duratracs. Either is a good choice just think Duratracs fits my needs better. I have procomp mts right now.... I do not recommend those at all.....
Old 09-02-2015, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ko2

Really enjoy my new 35x12.50r17 Ko2's. Great ride on road, in wet conditions and great offroad so far here in Colorado. Just got back from Moab and they were AWESOME! Let me know if you have any questions. EDIT, I had the old Ko, didn't like them... these are way better. Also apparently a good snow choice. I will see in a few months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150725_173436.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	623584

Last edited by thirdcoastborn; 09-02-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Nice, ThirdCoastBorn !! What kind of lift are you running with those ?

Quick Reply: 35" DuraTrac vs BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 - Everyday Ride Quality ?