Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35" spare IS too heavy for stock carrier. (damage)

Old 05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" spare IS too heavy for stock carrier. (damage)

I opened my tailgate tonight to fix the soft top clip and when I went to shut the tailgate it wouldn't latch. when I pushed the gate closed as far as I could I could see the handle end of the gate was bowed out about 1/2 an inch. It was very noticeable. I lifted up on the spare and was able to get it to shut. I could also see where paint had rubbed off above the latch on the tailgate. Long story short is all of us that are running 35's on the stock carrier need to keep an eye out. A new bumper and tire carrier is in my very near future. I know I need to post pics but I don't want to open the gate for fear of not being able to get it closed. Also of note, I have a license plate bracket that moves the tire out about 1/16 of an inch. Its not a huge amount but I'm sure every little bit of leverage on the tailgate matters. My rim is aluminum also so I think a steelie would be even worse.

Ty
Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

how long were you running it?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by TSmith0820
I opened my tailgate tonight to fix the soft top clip and when I went to shut the tailgate it wouldn't latch. when I pushed the gate closed as far as I could I could see the handle end of the gate was bowed out about 1/2 an inch. It was very noticeable. I lifted up on the spare and was able to get it to shut. I could also see where paint had rubbed off above the latch on the tailgate. Long story short is all of us that are running 35's on the stock carrier need to keep an eye out. A new bumper and tire carrier is in my very near future. I know I need to post pics but I don't want to open the gate for fear of not being able to get it closed. Also of note, I have a license plate bracket that moves the tire out about 1/16 of an inch. Its not a huge amount but I'm sure every little bit of leverage on the tailgate matters. My rim is aluminum also so I think a steelie would be even worse.

Ty
I noticed my tailgate did'nt like the 35 either, Its now in the back waiting on my bumper.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I noticed my tailgate did'nt like the 35 either, Its now in the back waiting on my bumper.
great.... well my toyo's arent that heavy,,,,,
Old 05-29-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

well, crap. guess my spare is coming off until i can afford a bumper.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine seems fine but it rests on the stock bumper when closed. It still seems solid as a rock! I also push it closed with the tire, not the handle.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Mine seems fine but it rests on the stock bumper when closed. It still seems solid as a rock! I also push it closed with the tire, not the handle.
yeah.. mines solid like you said it would be too.... but its still worries me lol those toyos are freakin heavy
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

I had my 35" spare on the tailgate (with most of the weight resting on the bumper) for more than a year before I switched over to the rockhard bumper and I didn't have any problems.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pulmano1
I had my 35" spare on the tailgate (with most of the weight resting on the bumper) for more than a year before I switched over to the rockhard bumper and I didn't have any problems.
I'm thinking of ordering the RockHard Bumper and tire carrier. I like the fact that it includes a HiLift jack mount and you can get gas can mounts for it.

Does it seem to be holding up and de it rattle?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been saying this for a year but most have disagreed. According to the manual the spare tire bracket is rated for 59lbs. A 35" tire weighs much more than that. I staerted to see this same thing in the short while I had my 35" on my stock carrier.
Hope you are able to get it repaired.

Quick Reply: 35" spare IS too heavy for stock carrier. (damage)