JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   35's with 3.73 gears (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/35s-3-73-gears-27974/)

wwarner20 02-05-2008 06:29 PM

35's with 3.73 gears

I am planning on running a Teraflex 2.5BB with 35" tires mounted to 17 inch wheels. I have a 2008(one of the first ones on the lot) Sahara Unlimited with the auto trans and a tow pkg. I believe this equates to 3.73 gears(I lost the original window sticker). I just want to know if I am going to be disapointed with performance and MPG. Should I just throw 33"s on with no lift or go for it??? I am on a really tight budget plus the Jeep is leased. Any opinions would be great.

releve 02-05-2008 06:51 PM

You do realize that if you mod the Jeep which is on a lease, you are going to have to bring it back to stock before you turn it in (unless you negoiate to keep it at the end).

You should also consider what would happen if you had any mechanical issues which require service on your leased Jeep. What would they say or do? :crazyeyes:

Silverback 02-05-2008 08:53 PM

my .02....

go for the TF 2.5 BB and 35's...keep all your stock components and wheels/tires...install the lift yourself following WOL write up and enjoy! remove the lift when you have to turn the lease back in...sell the 35's.

I've got 4.10 auto with 35's...no problems and it's liveable without regearing.

wayoflife 02-05-2008 10:10 PM

35's and 4.10's isn't so bad but with 3.73's.... I think you'll be wanting a bit more power. It can be done but it won't always be fun.

wayland1985 02-06-2008 02:41 AM

Here's where I always get confused, and haven't really gotten a straight answer.

I have the 3.21's and 29" tires. If I run one of those gear calculators, it says to get equivalent performance with 35's, I'd need to run a 3.8 gearing. So, I would thing that 4.10 should be more than sufficient.

I realize these calculators don't factor in added weight, but still, that's 3.8 to 4.10 is a good jump. So what am I missing here???

whatroads 02-06-2008 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by wayland1985 (Post 329019)
Here's where I always get confused, and haven't really gotten a straight answer.

I have the 3.21's and 29" tires. If I run one of those gear calculators, it says to get equivalent performance with 35's, I'd need to run a 3.8 gearing. So, I would thing that 4.10 should be more than sufficient.

I realize these calculators don't factor in added weight, but still, that's 3.8 to 4.10 is a good jump. So what am I missing here???

According to the charts it looks like you will have similar performance to what you currently have. The question you have to answer "is that good enough?". If you have ever owned a geared down Jeep you will know the answer is no. Add to that, the cost of a re-gear is the same for 4.10 or 5.13. In short, gearing down makes an incredible difference off road

riverzendz 02-06-2008 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by jgarner (Post 328895)
If you have the tow package you should have 4.10s. Personally, in you lease situation I think you are wasting your money. You are going to have to pay to mod the Jeep, then pay to un-mod it. Also, 4.10s, 35's and auto do not mix well. You really need to regear to 5.13s with the auto.

The '08 tow package uses 3.73's.

I'm running 33's on 3.73 gears and at times wish I had 4.10's but it's not that bad at all. I plan on bumping it to 35's and will probably look into going up to 4.88's at least.

wayland1985 02-06-2008 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by whatroads (Post 329039)
According to the charts it looks like you will have similar performance to what you currently have. The question you have to answer "is that good enough?". If you have ever owned a geared down Jeep you will know the answer is no. Add to that, the cost of a re-gear is the same for 4.10 or 5.13. In short, gearing down makes an incredible difference off road

Right, but what I can't seem to make a decision over is getting the Rubicon axles, with 4.10s and lockers, or just keeping the stock axles and regearing. That's why I'm so lost!

wayoflife 02-06-2008 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by wayland1985 (Post 329172)
Right, but what I can't seem to make a decision over is getting the Rubicon axles, with 4.10s and lockers, or just keeping the stock axles and regearing. That's why I'm so lost!

Yeah, that is a tough one alright especially when the Rubi axles are Dana 44's front and rear with the rear being 32 spline and come with lockers for a very very affordable price. And, if long hill climbs on the highway isn't something you have to deal with on a regular basis, I would recommend going this route. I wheel with several guys running 35's on 4.10's including doojer, SDMF and Rubimon and while more power would be nice, they seem to do just fine. :yup:

wayland1985 02-06-2008 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by wayoflife (Post 329202)
Yeah, that is a tough one alright especially when the Rubi axles are Dana 44's front and rear with the rear being 32 spline and come with lockers for a very very affordable price. And, if long hill climbs on the highway isn't something you have to deal with on a regular basis, I would recommend going this route. I wheel with several guys running 35's on 4.10's including doojer, SDMF and Rubimon and while more power would be nice, they seem to do just fine. :yup:

Hahahaha... You must be getting sick of me bringing up this same question.

I wonder what kind (if any) power loss I would notice :thinking: .
I mean, the calculators would lead me think that I wouldn't have any loss of power. But everybody else suggests I would :hmm: .

Oh, if I only had a bottomless bank account.