Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Tire Wear Problem

Old 03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Tire Wear Problem

Try and summarize quickly......I had 35" KM2's on my 2 door for about 15000 miles. The tires wore even.

I recently bought a new 4 door and took everything off my 2 door and put it on the 4 door. After running the tires on the 4 door for about 1000 miles, I noticed the 35's wearing funny. The outside lugs were wearing down noticeably fast.

Any ideas why the tires that were wearing great for 1.5 years are now wearing down on the outside???

The only thing that is different on the 4 door that I didn't have on the 2 door is I added sleeves and gussets to the front axle. I was wondering if this could mess up the camber??

The tires are balanced. My next step will be to get it on a rack and have the camber checked to see if it is within spec.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Is your front end properly aligned, since the lift and tires?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

check out this website. it shows different types of tire wear.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
Is your front end properly aligned, since the lift and tires?
Castor is good. Axle is centered. Toe is 1/8".

Originally Posted by bcrouse
4dr is a bit heavier than the 2dr.....put some more air in them meats....
I typically run 28-30 psi. I bumped my air up to 35 psi. Tires are still wearing funny after rotation.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Theres a chance you may have killed the ball joints while installing the gussets. Did you take them out, or weld with them in? I dont think our ball joints need much of an excuse to crap out. My front left ones are shot, and even though my alignment is spot on, I'm getting the same kind of wear you are.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

The ball joints were left in while gussetts were welded on. Is there a way to tell if the ball joints are bad by visual inspection, or do they have to be removed??

Also, if the tires are wearing on the outside, would this mean the top or bottom are bad????
Old 03-27-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

I have been experiencing the same thing on my front tires on my 2 dr, I think its the ball joints as well. I think mine where starting to get bad, and then after having my gussets installed, I believe they got worse, don't think the welder went slow enough. I've tried different psi and changed my toe in and out, but I have come to the conclusion its gotta be the ball joints because I am also experiencing a little wobble (not DW, yet, had that before) and have narrowed it down to be either the ball joints or possible my control arm bushings that I plan to take out today and inspect as well as lift up the front end and check the ball joints, but last time I had it in the stealership, I was told the ball joints were fine. Didn't mean for that to be so long, good luck with yours! Post up when u find the culprit
Old 03-27-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ssunde1
I have been experiencing the same thing on my front tires on my 2 dr, I think its the ball joints as well. I think mine where starting to get bad, and then after having my gussets installed, I believe they got worse, don't think the welder went slow enough. I've tried different psi and changed my toe in and out, but I have come to the conclusion its gotta be the ball joints because I am also experiencing a little wobble (not DW, yet, had that before) and have narrowed it down to be either the ball joints or possible my control arm bushings that I plan to take out today and inspect as well as lift up the front end and check the ball joints, but last time I had it in the stealership, I was told the ball joints were fine. Didn't mean for that to be so long, good luck with yours! Post up when u find the culprit
I had my gussets welded on when my Jeep only had like 500 miles on it. I also did not put the 35's on until after the gussets were on to minimize the odds of bending the C's.
In addition, when I put my lift onto my 4 door, I replaced all bushings.

Is there a way to know if the ball joints are melted without removing them??
Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Jack the front tire off the ground.
Place a jack stand under the axle next to the jack.
Lower to put some weight on the jack stand.
Place a long pry bar under the tire.
Have someone pry the tire up and down while you watch the lower ball joint for up and down play.
Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050"

Have someone grab the tire at top and bottom to wiggle the top in and out while you watch the upper joint for side play.
Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060"

Even if the upper joint checks good, change both if the lower checks bad.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info. I will try this.

Quick Reply: Strange Tire Wear Problem