Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37" MTR kevlars?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
Sand is bad as it is a bitch to get rid of and clogs/clumps when it absorbs moisture. Beads are better, but not too good at higher speeds off road where you hit a hard bump and everything gets unbalanced. Best to get tires that balance easily in the first place. Like I said, it's hit or miss with the Kevlars, so maybe get the shop selling them to you to guarantee they balance within limits or they replace them. Even then, sometimes mine seemed to be worse after sitting for awhile and in cold weather.
well at speeds over 60mph is when I get vibes that come and go with my km2's. I'm hoping MTR's are better when I'm going over 65mph. And the shop I'm buying my MTR's from have great tire prices but couldnt balance my km2's and used sand. So I'll probably go to a place that has road force balancing to get them balanced this time and hopefully they can guarantee that they can balance them or they will rebalance for free maybe.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 12JKjeep
well at speeds over 60mph is when I get vibes that come and go with my km2's. I'm hoping MTR's are better when I'm going over 65mph. And the shop I'm buying my MTR's from have great tire prices but couldnt balance my km2's and used sand. So I'll probably go to a place that has road force balancing to get them balanced this time and hopefully they can guarantee that they can balance them or they will rebalance for free maybe.
I went to a discount tire in my area that is JK friendly. They did a great job balancing.

I have zero vibes, and things get very smooth at 70.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 12JKjeep
Ok I'm thinking about buying 37" MTR K's because my 35" km2's are just to small but I like that they are a light tire. Ive heard good reviews on the MTR's for the most part and they seem pretty light for a 37" tire at 76 lbs or so.
They are going on my daily driver JKU with
3.5" RK X factor lift
4:88 gears. I wheel it about once or twice a month.

My question is I've heard people having balancing issues with these tires? Saying they take tons of weights to get balanced? I'm already having balancing issues with my km2's so I don't want to run into that problem again.
Any opinions on these tires are welcome and how are they on the highway?
Just installed 5 37's this weekend.

4 balanced with between 3 - 4 oz. 1 took 7.5 oz

My buddy got 35's and his balanced like crap.

I've heard that for some reason 37s balance better than 35's, and this was our experience.

I got an awesome deal at Sears ($300) a tire, and also got lifetime warranty and balancing.

My recommendation would be that if you order them, get them from a local place (discount or sears) and just don't accept them if they don't balance.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

^ $300 a tire for 37 MTR's is the cheapest I have heard. I'll check out sears I see what they have for prices here. Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

The issue is not so much GETTING them balanced as much as it is KEEPING them balanced.

I think every year someone somewhere says "this year is different!".
Old 04-07-2014, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep_n_co
The issue is not so much GETTING them balanced as much as it is KEEPING them balanced. I think every year someone somewhere says "this year is different!".
keeping them balanced as in weights falling off?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

If there isn't a particular need for the MTR, save yourself the worry and get the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I have no issues with my MTRs, but often wonder if I should have gone with the Nitto's.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 37x12.5x17 MTRs I just added a few months ago and I bead bag balanced them and have not had any issues whatsoever. I ran them the first 3 miles and the beads found their spots and they ride perfect down the road. Also have mickey thompson classic lock rims with simulated lock rings. I have the same tires on my yj in 35 inch and I ended up rebalancing them twice and then the 3rd I used bead bags instead of weights and it made a world of difference.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default MTR's

I had the newer style MTR in 35's with no balance issues and they were great both on and off road. I went up to 37's and got a smoking deal on the old style "HMMWV" or military looking tread. I have no complaints on them either. Why worry about how many weights are on them? It measured in ounces...the tires are like 60lbs!!! As long as the guy working the balancer knows what he is doing you're good.

If your alignment is off or you rip a lug off yeah you will be rebalancing often with any tire. I drive on the highway regularly at 65-70 and they ride great for a big tire. Its not a caddy by any means but you cant drive a caddy over rocks either.

Last edited by ChaoticJK; 04-07-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got mine balanced and mounted today all balanced fine a couple needed a bit more weights then I'd like but no biggie.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1359871046.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	544069   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2039819033.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	544070   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-482606415.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	51.5 KB