Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37's on a 3.8L JK? what are your thoughts

Old 06-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
A supercharger? But my front is a d30. Wouldn't that snap axle shafts with the added power?
You're running a d30 with 5.13 gears and asking about 37s and now you're worried about axle shafts?
Old 06-08-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running a semi beefed D30 with 5.13's and 37's. I don't expect it to last long but for daily use it really sees no extra stress as the housing is the same ad the D44 besides the center section.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
A supercharger? But my front is a d30. Wouldn't that snap axle shafts with the added power?

:rotfl mao2:

37 on a Dana 30 and with 5.13's by them selves is a recipe for disaster. So why worry about the supercharger.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
I am running a semi beefed D30 with 5.13's and 37's. I don't expect it to last long but for daily use it really sees no extra stress as the housing is the same ad the D44 besides the center section.
I'm sure it's just about as reliable as a ProRock now that it it's semi beefed up

An OEM D44 is just as trashy as the D30, aside from the center.
And the OEM D44 center is pretty trashy. It's a weak center section that is prone to flex that will allow gear failure. It's a weak housing that bends and break tubes and Cs. There isn't much good to say about the OEM D30/D44 axles. Once you take the D44 ring/pinion and move them into one of the aftermarket housings and remove the flexy bendy issues, you get a D44 that can hold up to a set of 37" tires with almost zero failures. Dynatrac knows of one ProRock 44 gear failure, and if I recall it was a Jeep that was jumped big and hard. There have been no PR44 gear failures that I've ever been able to dig up from a Jeep on 37" tires from normal on-earth wheeling abuse.

Your gears are horribly fragile in a D30. Your housing is horribly weak, both the outer parts and the cast center section, and that remains the same on an OEM 44.

Chuck-The-Ripper runs a D30 and 37" tires, and he's been doing it for a couple years. He wheels hard, real hard. But, he changes parts multiple times a month at times as he breaks things. He buys used/cheap any time he can and makes it work for him because of a couple unique situations:
1) He likes wrenching.
2) He is fast as all get out with his wrenches.
3) He maintains a full stock of spare parts
4) He is not mad, hurt or upset when his shit goes boom.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I love, love, love these threads as they all turn out the same way. Someone has their mind made up that they're going to try and make something work long before they hit the submit button.

After that one of two things happen:

1). After about 30 minutes they're at the shop having already pulled the trigger on what they knew they wanted to do anyway before asking.

or,

2). There will be 5+ pages of people saying that it's not a good idea, it won't work, so and so tried it and it didn't work, and they'll do it anyway.

So, that being said, you should totally put 5.38's in it on at least 37's, but 40's are cooler. After that, I'd put a supercharger on it, with a turbo, and probably a 150 shot of nitrous for good measure, and then head out to your favorite trail. Let us know how it works.

p.s. I'm only singling this thread out as it's the most recent but there seems to be at least 1-2 per week that fit the bill.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot one :

People who go on and on and think they know everything because they read it on the forums or heard it from a friends, friends, sisters, brother in law.

Have you actually seen a bent D30 or D44 housing yourself? Or a bent C?

I have seen 2 D30 that were in accidents that took direct hits to a front wheel and that didn't bend them just broke brackets. I have seen only one bent D30 in a Jeep that had been jumped repeated ..
Old 06-08-2016, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought that if it's on the internet it has to be true.

It's all about odds of breaking something. Sure, people do it and they might not break right away, but it's a time bomb. In the boat world it's like putting 1,200HP in front of a Bravo drive that's designed for less than half that. People do it all the time and sometimes they last a season or two, but at some point they will let go and it won't be pretty. It's not if, but when, and in the case of Jeeps, where. It won't be down the street from the house most likely.

Pay once, cry once.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get both axles like G2's all inclusive with 5.86 gears. You'll need more strength and deeper gearing than what you've got
Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

This is one of my best friend's tj but still a Dana 30.
we replaced it the next day and within another month the jeep was smiling it was so bent.
I just rebuilt a 30 for a kid I know who's 30 on a jku was bent, and he was only running 33s. I've seen a few more. You play with fire, you're going to get burned. Whether it's the first time or the 50th time, it's bound to happen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-983737884.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	649163  
Old 06-08-2016, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
This is one of my best friend's tj but still a Dana 30. we replaced it the next day and within another month the jeep was smiling it was so bent. I just rebuilt a 30 for a kid I know who's 30 on a jku was bent, and he was only running 33s. I've seen a few more. You play with fire, you're going to get burned. Whether it's the first time or the 50th time, it's bound to happen.
Are these guys jumping their jeeps? I've seen one bent housing but the guy jumps his jeep for some reason.

Quick Reply: 37's on a 3.8L JK? what are your thoughts