JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   37's ripping fenders off on 6" lift (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/37s-ripping-fenders-off-6-lift-323751/)

GoldenRubi 07-08-2015 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm running 37" toyos on a 6" lift and it keeps ripping the rear fenders off when the suspension compresses. It was my understanding that it was safe to run 37's with way less lift. I love the look of the stock fenders and only want to go to flats as a last resort. I'm running 17x8 wheels w a 4" BS. Do I need more bump stop?

Attachment 617274

14Sport 07-08-2015 07:17 AM

Yes you do.

951Rubi 07-08-2015 07:19 AM

To be honest I would try trimming your fenders. It will give you more clearance. But as you say you like the stock look, go higher or bump stop.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

GoldenRubi 07-08-2015 07:21 AM

I was afraid of that. Is there a way to trim just the outer lip so that that they ask hood the same profile? Don't wanna trim then and end up w a monstrosity...lol

951Rubi 07-08-2015 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi (Post 4119740)
I was afraid of that. Is there a way to trim just the outer lip so that that they ask hood the same profile? Don't wanna trim then and end up w a monstrosity...lol

Attachment 617276

Mine turned out nice. Here's a decent pic. Check it out on YouTube.

14Sport 07-08-2015 07:34 AM

If you don't want flats then cut them leaving a quarter inch of the turn downs still there. You may still need bumps but possibly less bump than without trimming. Flex it out and measure.

GoldenRubi 07-08-2015 07:44 AM

That would bee cool. The more of the turn down part that can stay, the better. Sometimes I like the thin flat cut fender look and sometimes I don't. I'd rather just go the steel flat fender route so they still have some girth to them when looking at them from the side. That would probably also allow me to keep the suspension as is and keep the additional up travel. Or would that be asking too much?

951Rubi 07-08-2015 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi (Post 4119754)
That would bee cool. The more of the turn down part that can stay, the better. Sometimes I like the thin flat cut fender look and sometimes I don't. I'd rather just go the steel flat fender route so they still have some girth to them when looking at them from the side. That would probably also allow me to keep the suspension as is and keep the additional up travel. Or would that be asking too much?

although pricey, the metal cloak fenders allow you to run 37's stock with minimal running. Good looking fenders IMO

GoldenRubi 07-08-2015 07:55 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look at those

nthinuf 07-08-2015 08:10 AM

Start by checking your current bumpstops. When you stuff the tires, are they fully compressed before either the coils or shocks fully compress? If it's the coils or shocks first, you should probably be adding bumpstop.

When trimming the stock flares, you can take as little, or as much, as you want. Start with a little, then trim more if the tires still rub. Again, stuffing the tires and looking at the clearance between the bumpstops (and at the tire/flare contact) should give some indication of how much you might want to take off.

And assuming you have all adjustable ca's, you might even look at axle centering.