Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37's and the on road daily commute. Coil/Shock or Coilover?

Old 07-08-2017, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
If you put the correction brackets on; your RK arms will be too long. The lowers are longer than stock at their shortest so it can cause driveshaft issues.

So the reason i decided to go with the correction brackets is because my RK arms are too short compared to the uppers, no matter how i adjust them ( Ive had them on and off half dozen times.) I can't get my caster back to where I want it. I still have a flighty light feeling in the front, and I have ruled out toe as i have tried 1/2 inch out to 1/2 in and every measurement in between. I have an adams extended ds in the front so maybe it will be long enough? If not i guess i can re-tube it.

I know alot of guys will hate the brackets, rocks, hanging up, etc... But ill be honest, the biggest rock within 100 miles of me is the landscape rocks in my flower bed. If i drag that bracket, it will be on red dirt washouts or a stump.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Okay BoraBora, lets see if i can answer up some of this.

Here goes nothing!

Do you have the old RK coils or the new ones? When'd you buy them?
  • I purchased my kit a year and a half ago. Is there something i can look at to determine?

My JK rides substantially better than both of my buddies. They both have the 5100's, one has the older Rock Krawler coils (what I suspect you have) and the other has Rubicon Express coils.
  • So its clear that i fall into the "Shit ride" category. My 5100's are also a year and a half old. No leaking and ill be honest (It was a Northridge4x4 package deal)

"Better" is such a subjective term so I'll actually explain what I mean, unlike most people who go "my ride is better than stock!!!": girls enjoy the ride because it doesn't knock their tits around too much and make them ache, my coffee doesn't spill when I hit a pothole, I can adjust the ride depending on what I'm doing, and I don't fear road imperfections.
  • Okay so lets talk "Better" for a second. I come from a long background of 4x4 rigs. Most of the rigs in my past that weren't jeeps were fullsize rigs (Mostly all 72 -79 fords on 60's and 44's, and the one YJ on rockwells and 53" michelins) They rode "Rough", but never jarring. The jeep now, and i thought i was putting money in the right places handles okay, but my wife has big fake tits and she holds them when we are crossing the stretch of highway between caddo mills and royse city on the interstate. So my ride is definitely not better than stock, my monster spills in my cup holder, and if i see a tar groove in the road, i put both hands on the wheel and say 9 hail Mary's. (I may be exaggerating, but i know it can be better)

That being said, my ride is also adjustable; I run the new Rock Krawler coils, paired with Rancho 9000XL's (by far the best shock I've ever used, and cheap enough). If I'm hitting the highway and want that stable feel that the Bilsteins and Fox shocks provide, I simply crank the Rancho shocks up to 6 or 7 (they adjust 1-9). It tracks straight as an arrow and corners like BMW 335i. If I'm driving into DC (notoriously crap roads with random patches of road work), I turn the shocks down to 3 or 4 and it is incredibly plush.
  • This is what i want, the ability to choose me ride, not be stuck with what i got. I like tinkering, and i dont mind tuning at all. I do it for a living.

Based on what you describe now, you should give the new RK coils and Rancho 9000's a shot. I don't know why people come on here recommending some extremely expensive King or Fox bypass shocks, as if more expensive = better. Those shocks have a purpose, but based on what you described you don't need them (you're not running rough roads fast are you? If you are I hope your axles are beefed up). Those flashy King and Fox shocks will also require more maintenance, and tuning to match your coils. If you wheel some big rocks and your shocks are mounted anywhere near the stock positions, expect to bang them up too. I've destroyed 2 pairs of rear shocks playing in rock gardens. The Ranchos are $100 a shock so I don't care. Plus they have a rebate going on right now (buy 3 get 1 free I believe) and if you decide they're not for you, you have 90 days to return them no questions asked. For that reason alone, it won't cost you anything to give them a shot.
  • Your absolutely right, every dealer rig i see with 35's and 37's around here has fox external res on it. I just assumed they knew something i didn't, and if i needed to spend the cash for the ride, I would. (My thoughts on the kings and fox's, If the rough ass highway was like a washboard road, my brain said the two could be related. Maybe i needed a big bypass to calm the road/highway.
  • I'm relocating the shocks up, they hang down way to low for my liking, but its not because of the rocks, its crossing downed trees is where they hang up.
  • I am about to search, and order the Ranchos based on what your saying. Your right, if there is a 90 day trial, I have nothing to loose. So thank you!

Coilovers will also require tuning and more maintenance to get the ride you want. I'd love coilovers one day, but so far my set up hasn't left me asking for more. It goes where I need it to go, and the ride is perfect. My buddies hate driving their Jeeps...while I don't.
  • Agree, one day i would like to upgrade the RK to the long arm and coilovers, but I'm not quite ready yet, and frankly.... If i cant get the ride sorted out now, how the hell am i going to do it with coilovers. I have gone as far as mocking some of my suspension up in solidworks so i can check interference and travel... (Yes, nerd i know)

Should also note my personal opinion on coilovers: if you're going to run them, screw any bolt-on kits. The EVO kit is a 12" travel coilover ...for the money, you could do so much better. If going the C/O route, have them set up by a shop who knows what they're doing: welding in new towers/mounts, charging/tuning them to what you want, and for the love of god...do not run a 12" C/O. My Rancho shocks are 11.7 or 11.8" of travel. The gain is so marginal for the fat price tag you're paying. You're really just paying to say "hey I have C/O's, please respect me." Bolt-on C/O's = bling...in the exact same category as flashy steering stabilizers (Fox ATS) and a million LED lights.
  • You said exactly what the little voice in my head is saying. But i learned a long time ago, dont knock it till you try it. A google search however doesn't reveal many install or testing videos of the EVO's, so that itself is scary.

Just trying to save you the headache of being unhappy with your next purchase.
  • And that's why your my current hero.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Mavicpilot2016; 07-08-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The old RK coils ride like shit and the 5100's are just bling being a shinny body shock. A properly tuned coil over is going to give you the best ride but can be expensive and time consuming to do. If you are just staying at around 12" of travel a conventional shock and coil can be tuned to you jeep for quite a bit less money. The toughest part is getting the right coils since nobody gives you coil rates. You also have ride quality issues because of your lift height and the geometry of the short arm RK lift that relies on factory brackets. A good custom long arm kit will do way more for your ride along with a castor corrected front axle.

Of course going down to a 35" tire and 2" lift would give you a better ride as well since the biggest rock in your area is in your flower garden.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm running ICON coilovers, which have fully adjustable remote shocks, and they give a very good and solid ride, and awesome handling characteristics, but are also very expensive. With your current build, you may try a better shock with your current set up before spending the money. 5100's are very firm shocks.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The old RK coils ride like shit and the 5100's are just bling being a shinny body shock. A properly tuned coil over is going to give you the best ride but can be expensive and time consuming to do. If you are just staying at around 12" of travel a conventional shock and coil can be tuned to you jeep for quite a bit less money. The toughest part is getting the right coils since nobody gives you coil rates. You also have ride quality issues because of your lift height and the geometry of the short arm RK lift that relies on factory brackets. A good custom long arm kit will do way more for your ride along with a castor corrected front axle.

Of course going down to a 35" tire and 2" lift would give you a better ride as well since the biggest rock in your area is in your flower garden.

Awe man come on! You didn't have to punk me with the two inch comment :(. But your reference to the long arm has me intrigued. I assumed the long arm would be rather flighty on the road. I'm honestly not sure why I thought that, but it just seems from a leverage standpoint the long arm would be less arrow straight at highway speed, more wobbly? ( wrong choice of words but it's what i got right now after a 6'er. ) I do have the metal cloak correction brackets so maybe that will help the geometry a bit? What do you think? You referred to the Old RK coils, is 1.5 years old? I haven't seen anything released new since then?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I'm running ICON coilovers, which have fully adjustable remote shocks, and they give a very good and solid ride, and awesome handling characteristics, but are also very expensive. With your current build, you may try a better shock with your current set up before spending the money. 5100's are very firm shocks.
Based on Borabora, i think I'm going to try the rancho xl with what I have. Honestly though, the Icon setup wasn't any more than what I was prepared to spend it it's worth it. You mentioned based on my current build.... What would keep me from going the coilover route with what I'm running?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the old style RK 3.5" linear coils, stock arms with AEV correction brackets and adjustable Rancho RS9000XL Shocks on 37x12.5x17 Pitbull Rockers. This combination rides smoother then my Brothers JKU on the Mopar 4" with Fox Shocks and 35" Duratracs.

The 9000 are great Shocks. I also DD my rig 60-70 miles daily.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavicpilot2016
I assumed the long arm would be rather flighty on the road. I'm honestly not sure why I thought that, but it just seems from a leverage standpoint the long arm would be less arrow straight at highway speed, more wobbly? ( wrong choice of words but it's what i got right now after a 6'er. )
I'm on 40's with a long arm and coilovers and I've run to Moab twice now, wheeled EJS, come back home, not to mention other assorted runs. I put about 1,500 miles a month on it average, and I have a company truck which is my normal ride. Honestly, I'd rather be in the Jeep. 90 mph, if one was to do that as it's clearly illegal, it runs straight as an arrow and no bad manners at all. No wobble, no flighty, straight and true.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavicpilot2016
A google search however doesn't reveal many install or testing videos of the EVO's, so that itself is scary.
Google King of Hammers. That's pretty much all the testing you'd need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RspXpFnlt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u28sx0lEISI How about the Rubicon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATLLYC6oKaY I know the usual argument, you can do much better for less money, blah blah blah. For a kit that runs like nothing I've come across, I say good luck.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jordy
Google King of Hammers. That's pretty much all the testing you'd need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RspXpFnlt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u28sx0lEISI How about the Rubicon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATLLYC6oKaY I know the usual argument, you can do much better for less money, blah blah blah. For a kit that runs like nothing I've come across, I say good luck.

Fair enough, it definitely looks like they smash in the dirt, unfortunately, that says nothing in regards to my question of dual purpose on the highway. Those are the videos I have failed to locate.

Quick Reply: 37's and the on road daily commute. Coil/Shock or Coilover?