Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37's and the on road daily commute. Coil/Shock or Coilover?

Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavicpilot2016
Based on Borabora, i think I'm going to try the rancho xl with what I have. Honestly though, the Icon setup wasn't any more than what I was prepared to spend it it's worth it. You mentioned based on my current build.... What would keep me from going the coilover route with what I'm running?
Honestly, nothing. If it fits the budget, it is an awesome setup. My rig is heavy on 37's as well, so basically you would just remove every component of your current suspension, and replace it with the coilover setup. It is a very complete kit, and is bolt on, though some drilling is required. You will need an exhaust system that dumps before the rear axle, either a kit, or make your own.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Fair enough, it definitely looks like they smash in the dirt, unfortunately, that says nothing in regards to my question of dual purpose on the highway. Those are the videos I have failed to locate.
Might I direct your attention to post #18, the one before the videos.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I run the RK X factor 3.5 on jkur (all arms) w/ new triple rate coils with fox 4-6 inch shocks ( more down travel) and it rides amazing on the highway with 37's . If you have the RK dialed in properly you will have no problems with the ride
Old 07-09-2017, 03:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Mavic, if you bought the package deal from NorthRidge last year...you probably have the old coils. They were unloading inventory in preparation for the new coils. The triple rates are longer coils, with a softer rate. If you have the triple rate coils, the top 3 and bottom 2 winds should be compressed. Have you ever unseated a coil? If you have that should also confirm my suspicion.

As for the comment about the old RK coils with 5100's running smoother than the Mopar 4" and Fox shocks....yeah I believe that. The Mopar kits use rebranded Teraflex coils...and Fox shocks ride like complete ass. It's really impressive that Mopar has been selling these kits, considering their price tag and what you get. Then again I'm not surprised, most people prefer not to "mess with the warranty" (you're not voiding anything by going with another kit, but nobody seems to really look that far into it). Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has you protected, thus it's illegal for a company to void your warranty for using non-OEM parts or labor, unless the parts you replaced failed and you're trying to warranty them. Good on Mopar though, darwinism is very real and not everyone realizes this.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Awe man come on! You didn't have to punk me with the two inch comment :(. But your reference to the long arm has me intrigued. I assumed the long arm would be rather flighty on the road. I'm honestly not sure why I thought that, but it just seems from a leverage standpoint the long arm would be less arrow straight at highway speed, more wobbly? ( wrong choice of words but it's what i got right now after a 6'er. ) I do have the metal cloak correction brackets so maybe that will help the geometry a bit? What do you think? You referred to the Old RK coils, is 1.5 years old? I haven't seen anything released new since then?
I couldn't resist, it was set up too well.

Long arms when properly done with the rest of the suspension will drive straighter and more comfortable because they minimize axle shift during suspension articulation because they move on a flatter arc then a short arm. The steeper the angle of the arms from horizontal the more of this shift you get as well. Very few long arms kits are designed well and it is the length of the arms and the frame side brackets you really need to look at. Teraflex uses a really short arm up top that creates a big change in pinion angle when you articulate and may cause bind in the driveline. Long arm set ups that put the frame side control arm mount near the output of the transfer case will have better pinion angles during articulation as the pinion should always point at the transfer case and not rotate at the differential creating a bind in the u joints. Drop brackets improve ride by flattening the arms but at the sacrifice of ground clearance. By lowering the frame side mounts you flatten the arms and reduce the axle shift from side to side and front and rear. As you cycle your suspension the axle will move forward when you droop and off to one side because of the track bar. In return you need to do a steering correction, this is why so many people complain about ride quality or wander when driving down the road and the higher you are lift wise the worse it is.

A better way to flatten your lower control arms is to cut off the axle side lower brackets and raise them up so the control arm mounting bolt is centered or slightly below the axle tube. No only will this flatten your lower arms but will give you more clearance under the front axle and rocks that may hang up on your control arms. This is a simple effective way to improve the ride but almost nobody does it and I don't know of any lift company that includes this except maybe Genright.

Your front and rear roll centers also have an affect on your ride and body roll. You state you already have a front drag link flip so the front should be good on the rear you want to raise the axle side track bar bracket as much as you can to get it level to minimize the side to side rear shift you get when you hit a pot hole or when the body leans in a curve.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

So after much butt puckering and mouse clicking, I have decided to ditch the short arms and go long arm. I just ordered the RK triple threat and the ranchos ( gonna see how they ride, 90 test drive guarantee). So I'll be selling my brand new metal cloak correction brackets and a full set of x factor arms lol. So yes, maybe I messed up, but I'm going all in, ditching the attempt at good and going full on, ish.... I really need to quit drinking when I'm online. As far as the coils, I checked the part numbers. Can anyone confirm which I have? I have the 2001 and 2002 coils which look to be the triples? . Here's a pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coils.PNG
Views:	110
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	673105

Last edited by Mavicpilot2016; 07-09-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I am not sure on the coils but you could ask in the RK tech thread. If I remember right their old coils were progressive and those look to be dual rate.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Mavic, if you bought the package deal from NorthRidge last year...you probably have the old coils. They were unloading inventory in preparation for the new coils. The triple rates are longer coils, with a softer rate. If you have the triple rate coils, the top 3 and bottom 2 winds should be compressed. Have you ever unseated a coil? If you have that should also confirm my suspicion.

As for the comment about the old RK coils with 5100's running smoother than the Mopar 4" and Fox shocks....yeah I believe that. The Mopar kits use rebranded Teraflex coils...and Fox shocks ride like complete ass. It's really impressive that Mopar has been selling these kits, considering their price tag and what you get. Then again I'm not surprised, most people prefer not to "mess with the warranty" (you're not voiding anything by going with another kit, but nobody seems to really look that far into it). Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has you protected, thus it's illegal for a company to void your warranty for using non-OEM parts or labor, unless the parts you replaced failed and you're trying to warranty them. Good on Mopar though, darwinism is very real and not everyone realizes this.

I really think hunk at the top of this section of the forums there should be a short stickie about the Magnunson-Moss warranty act, it's not mentioned anywhere near enough

matthew
Old 07-10-2017, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has you protected, thus it's illegal for a company to void your warranty for using non-OEM parts or labor, unless the parts you replaced failed and you're trying to warranty them.
It actually goes a little beyond that.

If they can tie the failure to the installation of non-OEM/aftermarket parts, it can void the warranty as well. You decide to but 48" tires on your Jeep and don't regear and start smoking transmissions, that's not going to be a warranty item as there is a direct correlation between the two. If you get a dealer who wants to be a dick, they can do it with anything beyond a factory directed tire size, and you're going to be at their mercy. They also have lots of high dollar attorneys that make fighting it kind of a losing battle. There is some substance behind the people who are afraid to mod their vehicle while it's under warranty. Talk to any of the thousands of Ford diesel owners who chipped their 6.0's and started pushing out head gaskets. That's a story for another day though.

Now, if you change out your crappy factory headlights and your transmission quits, that's going to be protected under the MMA.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
It actually goes a little beyond that. If they can tie the failure to the installation of non-OEM/aftermarket parts, it can void the warranty as well. You decide to but 48" tires on your Jeep and don't regear and start smoking transmissions, that's not going to be a warranty item as there is a direct correlation between the two. If you get a dealer who wants to be a dick, they can do it with anything beyond a factory directed tire size, and you're going to be at their mercy. They also have lots of high dollar attorneys that make fighting it kind of a losing battle. There is some substance behind the people who are afraid to mod their vehicle while it's under warranty. Talk to any of the thousands of Ford diesel owners who chipped their 6.0's and started pushing out head gaskets. That's a story for another day though. Now, if you change out your crappy factory headlights and your transmission quits, that's going to be protected under the MMA.
Correct, if they can prove the part you replaced caused the failure of another part then there's no case for a warranty of that part. Thank you for mentioning this!

Quick Reply: 37's and the on road daily commute. Coil/Shock or Coilover?