Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 inch Rough Country Lift Driveability Help Please

Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 inch Rough Country Lift Driveability Help Please

Just had my 12 Sport Unlimited done up, 20' wheels, 35 inch Trail Grapplers, bumpers winch lights and rack. I was expecting a little different drive, but maybe not this drastic. Steering is a little twitchy, especially over ordinary road bumps, ride overall seems more harsh than I thought it would be, lots of rattling in the cab. I realize this is a Jeep and not a Benz, but just curious if there is anything I can do to upgrade the ride, better shocks, non-stock steering stabilizer etc. I am not mechanically inclined, but don't mind spending the money. The shop that did this assured me that the Rough Country kit was just as well made and reliable as any other out there and I took their word. I'm not unhappy with my set-up , just would like some input as to what might improve the ride and steering. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1308.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	416201
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First start by lowering and knowing what your tire pressure is...

for 35's, you should have about 28-32 psi. I bet the dealer or whoever installed your stuff has your tires at 40psi or higher.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
First start by lowering and knowing what your tire pressure is...

for 35's, you should have about 28-32 psi. I bet the dealer or whoever installed your stuff has your tires at 40psi or higher.
Thanks man, I'll check that out and make the adjustment if needed. This is my first modern lifted rig, I had a 72 Bronco with 37's, but never really drove it on the street, I was just hoping for a little smoother ride as I drive the Jeep a lot, really a fun vehicle.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Do you have aftermarket lower control arms? If not you caster could be off.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

I have similar issues, other than the rattling. A customer of mine got the same lift as me and mounted lower control arm relocation brackets and it completely fixed it. He doesnt of road at all so that's why I haven't bought any yet. I may end up either doing that or buying new lower control arms.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ro1bvan1
Do you have aftermarket lower control arms? If not you caster could be off.
x2, what all did the kit come with? With 4" of lift, adjustable lower control arms go a long way in dialing in the suspension. If you don't want to spend money on arms, at least look into drop brackets, like AEV kits come with.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

With out knowing all the parts that were included in your lift it is a little harder to troubleshoot. I ran the RC 4in X-Series with flex arms for 3 years. To start off the RCs coils spring rate are about the same as stock. Their standard shocks are okay. Like others have said check the tire pressure and if you have time chalk test the tires for the correct pressure. The tire pressure could be a big factor in the "rough ride". As for the steering your castor will be off for sure. Before installing my CAs it was very flighty and bump steer was pretty bad. After dailing in the CAs and track bars my 09 drove like stock just 4 inches higher.

If you went with the very basic coils and shocks cheap 4in RC kit your steering and ride will not be the best it can be until the geometery is fixed. If you could provide us more information that would also help.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the RC 4" XSeries and the biggest help to the steering on mine was to throw away the dropped pitman arm and install the TeraFlex Drag link flip kit. Night and day difference.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 09SDunlimited
With out knowing all the parts that were included in your lift it is a little harder to troubleshoot. I ran the RC 4in X-Series with flex arms for 3 years. To start off the RCs coils spring rate are about the same as stock. Their standard shocks are okay. Like others have said check the tire pressure and if you have time chalk test the tires for the correct pressure. The tire pressure could be a big factor in the "rough ride". As for the steering your castor will be off for sure. Before installing my CAs it was very flighty and bump steer was pretty bad. After dailing in the CAs and track bars my 09 drove like stock just 4 inches higher.

If you went with the very basic coils and shocks cheap 4in RC kit your steering and ride will not be the best it can be until the geometery is fixed. If you could provide us more information that would also help.
Without a doubt I have the cheapest RC kit for a 4 inch lift, it was one of the least expensive items on the invoice, 1k installed. I don't mind upgrading, just new to this and don't want to throw money at it until some of you guys with more experience chime in on what might really make a difference.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Tire PSI. What is it at?

2. What are your alignment specifications at?

2a. You want between 4 to 6 degrees of castor.

2b. 1/8" Toe In

2c. Front and rear axles perfectly centered.

At 4 inches of lift, you want to make sure that your suspension geometry has these components in this order.

1. Adjustable front trackbar.
2. Adjustable front lower control arms.
3. Adjustable rear trackbar with a raised rear trackbar bracket.

The above is a must. The below is what you'll need soon.

Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms.

Front and Rear CV style rear driveshafts.

Draglink Flip with a raised front trackbar bracket (3" bumpstops required along with 4.5" BS or less wheels)

Quick Reply: 4 inch Rough Country Lift Driveability Help Please