Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" lift or 3" lift with 1" Body lift?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" lift or 3" lift with 1" Body lift?

Ok guys, I need some opinions. I want to go with a 4" lift for my unlimited, does it make sense to go with a 3" suspension lift and a 1" body lift, or is it better to just go with a 4" suspension lift from the start. I'm planning on replacing the drive shafts and getting adjustable control arms no matter which lift I go with, so the cost will be about the same either way. Anybody have any reasons / experiences on why either way would be better?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScottK
Ok guys, I need some opinions. I want to go with a 4" lift for my unlimited, does it make sense to go with a 3" suspension lift and a 1" body lift, or is it better to just go with a 4" suspension lift from the start. I'm planning on replacing the drive shafts and getting adjustable control arms no matter which lift I go with, so the cost will be about the same either way. Anybody have any reasons / experiences on why either way would be better?

I personally am not a big fan of body lifts, and since you are going to have to take the suspension apart either way, you might as well just go with the 4 inch and be done with it. It would take less time.

Just my .02 though. I am sure someone will see it another way.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

if youre gonna drop a decent amount of money on a nice lift, might as well go with 4". that way you have more to flex, and if you ever decide you want to go 5", then you can get the body lift installed on top of the other lift.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default I agree with JKJosh

The body lifts I have used in past always jack with shifting mechs, and using a straight 4" would be much easier, and probably less cost also.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

If I had the budget for both the 4" lift and the new drive shafts I would go that way for sure. The only reason to go the 3" + 1" is budget.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would have to agree with axsys on this since that is the way mine is set up
Old 11-08-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would stay away from a body lift, that gap between the body and bumpers is ugly and looks cheap.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only advantage would be price and ride quality. If you hav the 4 door the difference in the ride between the 3 and 4 should be minimal. go with the 4!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

I vote to go with the 4", you will have more flex that way.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, it's unanamous so far! I thought the 4" would be the better choice, but had to check with the experts! Looks like there's a 4" suspension lift in my future. I'm going to order a Teraflex, or Superlift, or Clayton, or Full Traction, or Currie, or Rock Crawler..........

Quick Reply: 4" lift or 3" lift with 1" Body lift?