Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to delete holes from hood bumpers and rear tire carrier??

Old 10-24-2017, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best way to delete holes from hood bumpers and rear tire carrier??

I want to get rid of the giant bumpers on the hood for the windsheild tie down but I dont know what the good options are. I also have had my rear tire carrier holes (just the big ones outside of the main bolt pattern area) just taped over with black electrical tape for a couple of years now and thought maybe its time to do something a bit cleaner. Any suggestions?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used elevator bolts (1 1/4 inch I think) on the hood. Had to use washers (bigger than the bolt to get over the square part of the bolt) to space it out under the hood. I bed lined them and then put black rtv on the bottom of the bolt head and when it was dry bolted it on. Click image for larger version

Name:	photo76.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	675689
Old 10-25-2017, 02:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a product designed specifically for that. It was called something like UFO hood something or other. Google that. If they still exist.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Vector off-road sells the UFO's and there's a guy on eBay if you search for JKPlugs he should pull up. He's at $8 to ship you everything for the tailgate though the Vector looks more modern than a plastic plug.....though the plastic plug is very discrete when installed.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the Vector UFO's. They run sales for all major holidays. I'm sure you can search here to see when they do it. I'd assume a Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale is around the corner.

Once you get them, say adios to your hood nipples!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought some plastic plugs for a few cents, I think from Lowe's. Just pop out the bumpers that are in there now, and take one with you to the hardware store. I spent at most, a dollar.

If you can't find them in your hardware store, there's these for $13 on eBay.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ripped off both of the "giant bumpers" on the hood while off roading, so now just have open holes. I see no problem with that, maybe they even help with cooling a bit.

Trending Topics

Old 10-28-2017, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
I ripped off both of the "giant bumpers" on the hood while off roading, so now just have open holes. I see no problem with that, maybe they even help with cooling a bit.
???? How😱?? Any pics or video? There has to be a really good story behind ripping them off wheeling 👍🏻.

Quick Reply: Best way to delete holes from hood bumpers and rear tire carrier??