Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4wheel parts saying new TPMS sensors not programmed?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wheel parts saying new TPMS sensors not programmed?

Think 4wheelparts is trying to hose me again, here's the situation.

4 weeks ago purchased a set of wheels and tires from them online for carry out. Added TPMS sensors (Orotek) to the package of 4 as I didn't want to tear down my old set of wheels and tires to move my sensors over. Picked up the package, installed the wheels myself, check TPM message comes on after driving around 15 miles. No problem I thought, from my reading after driving some it should pick up the new sensors.

3 weeks later the system still doesn't recognize the new sensors, just a dash on each wheel in the EVIC and a check TPM message whenever I start the Jeep. Headed back up to 4wheel today to have them figure it out, they said that they'll need to inspect it and there next availability is in a week (WTF?). I go ahead and schedule that.

Then the tech says that there's going to be a $115 inspection fee if it turns out the sensors aren't bad. He says they probably need to be reprogrammed, and if that's the case the fee will apply. I told him I'd talk to the manager when I bring it in for the appointment.

A couple things don't make sense to me - I'm under the impression that the sensors I bought are already set up for the JK (the tech confirmed the part number was right this afternoon) and I can't see why in the hell I should be responsible for paying for paying more out of pocket for a brand new set of wheels, tires, and sensors that never registered.

Anyone have thoughts?
Old 10-01-2017, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a set of wheels and tires from DTD mounted with TPMS sensors installed. My 2017 JK picked them up almost instantly. I know they work because yesterday one showed low with the cold weather that moved in. Added a little air and the indicator light went off within 2 miles. No programming or anything special.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, got new TPMS sensors from America's Tires (west coast name for DTD) and they picked right up
Old 10-01-2017, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to disconnect your battery for a few minutes and re connect it. See if it restarts it or something.

I have to guess which one is which after every rotation as its not reading properly. Its been interesting to say the least. I can't remember which ones I bought after getting rid of my stock ones.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The JK doesn't pair with the wheel sensors like some cars, you just have to install the sensors and the Jeep will pick them up. You just need to have the correct sensors for your JK because 07-12 are different than the 13-17 sensor. If you have the advanced system and all 4 are coming back bad, my guess would be they installed the wrong sensors.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I haven't been following these tpms threads. Does the system see the spare? Replaced 5 stock sensors with 4 new ones, is it looking for the 5th?
Old 10-02-2017, 01:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I haven't been following these tpms threads. Does the system see the spare? Replaced 5 stock sensors with 4 new ones, is it looking for the 5th?
it does not see the spare as the tires need to be rotating
Old 10-02-2017, 11:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m watching this thread... I just received today a set of 5 BFG 35”KM2s from 4wheelparts that I ordered with TPMS sensors for a 2013 JKU.

I won’t be installing them until November, so I’ll find out then if they work...

Tom in Papua New Guinea
Old 10-03-2017, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
The JK doesn't pair with the wheel sensors like some cars, you just have to install the sensors and the Jeep will pick them up. You just need to have the correct sensors for your JK because 07-12 are different than the 13-17 sensor. If you have the advanced system and all 4 are coming back bad, my guess would be they installed the wrong sensors.
I have to wonder when the cutover was. I have a '12 Rubicon, I wonder if it was manufactured late enough into 2012 that it uses the 2013 sensor?
Old 10-04-2017, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darien99
I have to wonder when the cutover was. I have a '12 Rubicon, I wonder if it was manufactured late enough into 2012 that it uses the 2013 sensor?
There isn't a crossover, it was a change to do with the 2013 dash upgrades as each tire could be read individually and shown on the screen. If your Jeep came with single washer nozzle on the hood it's not a 2013.

315Mhz for the 07-12
433Mhz for the 12-17

Check the model number on your receipt and see what frequency it should be.

Quick Reply: 4wheel parts saying new TPMS sensors not programmed?