Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5% or 20% TINT?

Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150cliff

One of two things must be working for you running tint that dark:

1) You have a great relationship with the local cops
2) You are in law enforcement and have a 'get out of jail free card' (badge)
Lol don't have either.. been stopped twice, both times got a ticket.. 280$ a ticket well that's what the fine was because I didn't want to remove the tint ,but oh well I like the way it looks... Btw both times was by a friggen park ranger wtf.. first time I told him you have no authority to write me a ticket.. He said oh yeah just a minute sir! Sure as shit he could. Second time same damn park probably same nice guy too, and it cost me 15 bucks to Get in, and launch My boat.. Needles to say haven't been back And probably won't.. sorry for ranting on..
Old 01-19-2013, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

When you say "Ya'all" , I take it you are not in California . In Cali . it's illegal to tint your front windows
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

So for you guys that have tinted your windows yourself... do you know about how many feet it took... for all windows including a front strip... I plan on doing 20% on the front two, and can't decide between 20% or 5% on the rear, back two doors and hardtop... also the front strip
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nkrimmel2012
So for you guys that have tinted your windows yourself... do you know about how many feet it took... for all windows including a front strip... I plan on doing 20% on the front two, and can't decide between 20% or 5% on the rear, back two doors and hardtop... also the front strip
No way I'd do this myself. I've seen too many crap tint jobs out there with bubbles and such to try. Once this stuff's on, it's on. This is one time not to DIY, and look at cars and trucks your installer has done before. I've had a lot of vehicles tinted and paid a professional to do every one, just my thoughts, but I feel pretty strongly on this one.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Oh okay, what's the cost look like to do all these windows... about 175 ish?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nkrimmel2012
Oh okay, what's the cost look like to do all these windows... about 175 ish?
Depends on where u live, my 08 cost $150 three weeks after I bought it new. Now probably a bit more, I'm in SoCal
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

price depends on where you go shop around, my 2 fronts cost me $80 and tint has a lifetime warrenty, another place close by quoted me $110 so it depnds where you go unless you've done it before with good results or have a nack for it I would take it to a shop as mentioned, removing tint glue is a bitch trust me I know
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Def agree with you guys.. paying someone is the way to go.. I figured I would tty it.. tint was like 10$. Did not go well at all... jeep windows are way more difficult than I thought...
Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine at 23%(it's a weird %, I know). It makes it pretty hard to reverse at night. With 5% there is no way you could reverse in a dark area without rolling down your windows. It also reflects the instrument cluster in the side windows more the darker you go.

The factory hard-top is 20%. The factory soft-top is 30%. My 23% blends well with the soft top tint.

If I was to do it again I would go 35% even though most people wouldn't even notice it was tinted. If you want a tinted look 20% is the lightest you would want to go.

I got mine done by Pro-tint in Indy for $150 for front windows and hard-top. With a lifetime warranty.

I have heard that cops don't like tint because they cannot see in to know if you have a gun. It's been recommended to roll your windows down quickly if you ever get pulled over to help prevent getting a ticket.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1933308937.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	411677  

Quick Reply: 5% or 20% TINT?