Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.13 Gear Swap Help!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.13 Gear Swap Help!

After much debate on wether or not it's worth spending $1000+ on labor alone to have a shop install new 5.13 gears, I've decided that I'm going to tackle the project myself.

If someone could share with me the links to some gear swap write ups or give me a list of the parts and tools I will need, I would greatly appreciate it. A list of any parts that I may need extras of during the swap and any tools that will make my life easier would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to order a master install kit and then get half way through only to find that I need a tool or part that I don't have or wasn't included in the kit.

I currently have a stock Dana 30 and 44 on my 2013 JKU running 3.73 gears.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by WyattO1759; 07-11-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/

What gears do you have now? Are you adding traction?
Old 07-11-2015, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/

What gears do you have now? Are you adding traction?
Right now I have the stock 3.73s. My Jeep is awful to drive on the highway, so I have to get this done relatively soon. If my budget at the end of the summer allows, I'd like to get lockers. If not for both axles, then just one. I guess depending on if I need a new carrier and stuff for the Dana 30, I'll decide wether I just get a front or back locker.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Your carriers are fine. It's only the d30 with 3.21's that needs a replacement.

Depending on your use/wants, read through a few threads on the Detroit Truetrac. Very nice, and relatively cost effective, setup for the non-hardcore crowd.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some things are better left to reputable professionals, and gears are one of them. JMO.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by H8MUD
Some things are better left to reputable professionals, and gears are one of them. JMO.
I'm a college student, so I don't exactly have the money to shovel out for a professional install. If the morons at 4 Wheel Parts can do it, I figure I could. #yolo
Old 07-11-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Your carriers are fine. It's only the d30 with 3.21's that needs a replacement.

Depending on your use/wants, read through a few threads on the Detroit Truetrac. Very nice, and relatively cost effective, setup for the non-hardcore crowd.
I wanted to go with a full locker if I can. My Jeep aspires to be a trail only rig one day, so I figure I might as well buy the hard core stuff. Are there any full lockers that you recommend or have experience with?
Old 07-11-2015, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full trail rig and hardcore = spool. Then again a d30 doesn't fit that description imo
Old 07-11-2015, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest you do some more researching when it comes to these JKs running 35s + on stock axles. Im in the same boat as you, although im not a college student. I am building my Jeep and having as much fun out crawling and off roading as I can, while pushing it to the limits. I am adding stuff to the axles to increase the strength, but only to get me by till the Jeep is paid off, then ditching these axles in a heart beat. Gears is not something an average joe with some mechanical knowledge should handle imo. I've installed everything on my Jeep so far other than my gears. I had that professionally installed and backed by a warranty. If you swap them yourself and screw up somehow, your out more money. But hey, like you said, yolo.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Full trail rig and hardcore = spool. Then again a d30 doesn't fit that description imo
I'll pass on the spool haha I still have to drive on the street.

Quick Reply: 5.13 Gear Swap Help!