Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.13 Gear Swap Help!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
I would suggest you do some more researching when it comes to these JKs running 35s + on stock axles. Im in the same boat as you, although im not a college student. I am building my Jeep and having as much fun out crawling and off roading as I can, while pushing it to the limits. I am adding stuff to the axles to increase the strength, but only to get me by till the Jeep is paid off, then ditching these axles in a heart beat. Gears is not something an average joe with some mechanical knowledge should handle imo. I've installed everything on my Jeep so far other than my gears. I had that professionally installed and backed by a warranty. If you swap them yourself and screw up somehow, your out more money. But hey, like you said, yolo.
I was going to order a Artec axle armor kit for the front axle and replace the ball joints if I don't have to spend 2000 on gears. Even if I do it wrong and destroy a set of gears I'm still almost 1200 bucks ahead.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As long as you have access to the tools and are willing to chance a repeat if there is a problem, I say go for it. The WriteUp I linked to is a good start, and I'm sure you can find a lot of youtube videos to help out as well. Then you can look forward to free cases of beer for helping out all of your buddies with their gears...
Old 07-12-2015, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
If the morons at 4 Wheel Parts can do it, I figure I could. #yolo
Greatest quote ever.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lkjk
Greatest quote ever.
"Thank you for calling 4 Wheel Parts, can you please hold?" is how they must be trained to answer the phone.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 951Rubi
Also, I'm not even sure they make anything larger than a 4:88 for a d30

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Yes they make 5.13s for a D30. There was even one company making 5.38s. There is controversy between 4.88s and 5.13s but many run 5.13s with no issues. I still believe 4.88s is the better choice
Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

What size tires are you planning on running? I think you said that you own a 2013 jeep. I have 4.56 gears in my 2012 running 35's and it's perfect. They would probably work for 37's if your planning on going that route. If you run something like 4.56 or 4.88 less chance of breaking as compared to 5.13. Also it may be wise to chromoly treat your gears prior to install to make them stronger.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Squeak
What size tires are you planning on running? I think you said that you own a 2013 jeep. I have 4.56 gears in my 2012 running 35's and it's perfect. They would probably work for 37's if your planning on going that route. If you run something like 4.56 or 4.88 less chance of breaking as compared to 5.13. Also it may be wise to chromoly treat your gears prior to install to make them stronger.
I already have 35" tires on my JK. I was going to go ahead and install an Artec Dana 30 armor kit and heavy duty ball joints when I put the gears in. I wanted to go with 5.13s for a little extra torque and incase I decide to run 37"s in the future.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what your budget is, but I had my axles done, parts and all, with Truetracs for 2400 bucks. That's Yukon 4.56 gears, F/R truetracs, master install kits, and warrantied installation by a reputable shop. I'm running 33's but I know the 4.56 would be perfect on 35's. Thing is, i'll likely never go higher than 33's as I prefer the low COG vs. the extra inch or two of clearance i'll gain for the added weight/ strain of a larger tire. There isn't much a 33 can't do if you pick your lines and have any skill behind the wheel. Also, don't rule out truetracs even for a seasoned trail rig. They perform better than you may think. There are some that will bad mouth them, many that have never even ran them. I'm hear to tell you that they are cheaper in price, forgiving on the street, tough as nails, and have locked up every time on the trail for me; tire in the air or not. Your jeep has a brake lock Diff. It works with the TT like peanut butter and jelly.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
I already have 35" tires on my JK. I was going to go ahead and install an Artec Dana 30 armor kit and heavy duty ball joints when I put the gears in. I wanted to go with 5.13s for a little extra torque and incase I decide to run 37"s in the future.
I have the Artec Dana 30 front armor armor kit with synergy ball joints and both are awesome. I am About to install some Nitro sleeves for a little more assurance. I still think that 4.88 gears would be more than enough with 3.6L engine and 37's but I am sure you will happy with 5.13. Definitely would recommend them to be chromoly treating the ring and pinion before install, would make the ring and pinion a lot stronger and less likely to fail. Doesn't cost all that much a lot cheaper then replacing gears.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Squeak
I have the Artec Dana 30 front armor armor kit with synergy ball joints and both are awesome. I am About to install some Nitro sleeves for a little more assurance. I still think that 4.88 gears would be more than enough with 3.6L engine and 37's but I am sure you will happy with 5.13. Definitely would recommend them to be chromoly treating the ring and pinion before install, would make the ring and pinion a lot stronger and less likely to fail. Doesn't cost all that much a lot cheaper then replacing gears.
Did you install the Artec kit yourself or have it installed somewhere? I figure the money that I save from doing the gears myself could be used to upgrade ball joints and throw on the armor kit. I cant afford a Dana 60 and I cant justify buying a 44 just to get a 60 later, so I figured the armor kit was the next best thing.

Quick Reply: 5.13 Gear Swap Help!