Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.7Hemi Swap or LS

Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.7Hemi Swap or LS

My 2012 JKU 3.6 is shot.

I am going to start acquiring parts and getting things ready for when she finally shites the bed.

I know, lots of bias expected with my header question but I would like to hear the good and the bad. In my reading I am leaning towards the 5.7L Hemi from a late model Ram 1500 for reasons of simplicity, cost and performance. Anybody have any good threads or know of a good source for a conversion kit? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Simplicity and price would be a 5.7 Hemi, since you have a 2012 the Hemi can be bolted up to your stock tranny. so you only have to worry about the motor. Also since you are going Mopar to Mopar you dont have to worry about electronics compatibility. This is where i would get the Hemi conversion stuff from. https://jeepspeedshop.com/

Just be shur while you have the hemi out fix the common issues while you can easily reach everything, the common header leak will be fixed by the new headers in the kit.
The following users liked this post:
BCCBFarris (06-26-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

From the limited research I've done on this I would go with an LS for the following reasons.

1. Aluminum block vs Hemi iron block (weight)
2. Many more LS junk yard and rebuilt motors available= Much lower cost for engine
3. Debatable in some regards but the GM LS engine is often viewed as being the better engine with a proven track record for reliability and performance, and puts out more H.P. per pound than the HEMI.
4. Much more aftermarket support, parts and performance upgrades available for the LS motors.

You can't go wrong either way, but it seems to me that the LS is the better path to pursue.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly they are both great engines and both can be put in a Jeep with lots of different companys making kits for both. I am leaning toward a Hemi because i can find them cheaper in my area. Unless i feel like driving 6 hours to pick up a decent priced LS then bring it back. I can find 5.3 LS with a 6L80E tranny for about 2k but most need a rebuild, a 6.2 with same tranny jumps to about 5k together (for a decent motor that dosent have any major issues). but i can snag a 5.7 VVT Hemi for a little under 3k, 6.2 and 6.4 jump up to around 5-6k. I would look around and see what is available near you and check the prices on everything. That is a big thing for me as i dont wanna make that drive to save a few hundred, not worth it to me.

Now Rednroll is very correct on everything he said about the LS, it was WAY more support from the aftermarket community, but lets be honest. You are probably wanting some extra power either on them are going to be able to give stock. If you want the Jeep to try and run 8 seconds in the quarter mile then the LS and the aftermarket support is the way to go. But all the local Jeeps with a LS dont take advantage of the aftermarket support to increase performance. So at that point why go LS if you arent going to build it? To me it defeats the purpose of choosing the engine with the support if you wont touch it.

But yes the aluminum block is nice to have, and the LS requires less maintenance. But if you stick to the same schedule as the 3.6 then you will be good.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Yep, I talked to Rob (JeepSpeedShop) for a bit the other day and this is so far the route I am going. He offered the most bare bones kit which allows some of the parts to be procured locally by me if it will save a couple of bucks. Was willing to review and discuss different options.

I found a 2016 RAM1500 rollover with 5000 miles for $1700 locally. Seems like a good fit.

Last edited by Midnight2012; 06-04-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: eta
The following users liked this post:
Call Of Duty MW3 (07-05-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Midnight2012
I found a 2016 RAM1500 rollover with 5000 miles for $1700 locally. Seems like a good fit.
Thats a steal .
Old 06-04-2019, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
From the limited research I've done on this I would go with an LS for the following reasons.

1. Aluminum block vs Hemi iron block (weight)
2. Many more LS junk yard and rebuilt motors available= Much lower cost for engine
3. Debatable in some regards but the GM LS engine is often viewed as being the better engine with a proven track record for reliability and performance, and puts out more H.P. per pound than the HEMI.
4. Much more aftermarket support, parts and performance upgrades available for the LS motors.

You can't go wrong either way, but it seems to me that the LS is the better path to pursue.
Yes, this was my original path. I have been a GM guy since I was 16 and bought my first Silverado and owned at least one truck for every Gen since.
I talked to the LS guy at Overland Performance who was more than knowledgeable and willing to help in any way.

I honestly was not as successful locating a good 6.0 and 6L80 for a good deal and with kit my costs were getting too high up there. Probably some good 5.3 options out there I guess but a much more limited range it seems like.

More digging to do. Thanks for the 2cents guys.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
Thats a steal .
Yep, sounds like a great deal on paper, but if a newer truck with only 5K miles on it was totaled due to a roll-over accident, then you know there's some major damage concerns traveling along with that engine. At a very minimum you need to consider that engine was running for a period of time upside down, and who knows what type of damage that could have caused.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Yep, sounds like a great deal on paper, but if a newer truck with only 5K miles on it was totaled due to a roll-over accident, then you know there's some major damage concerns traveling along with that engine. At a very minimum you need to consider that engine was running for a period of time upside down, and who knows what type of damage that could have caused.
Well, ya with any used motor you need to check it and make shur everything is as should be. You never know what the previous guy did with it lol
Old 06-05-2019, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Engine assembly is $1650 cash from a know and reputable salvage yard. Stored indoors and is complete including everything excepts belt attached component like the compressor and alternator. Called them and talked to the guy who said they did run it and it has a 90 day parts warranty.

Almost seems too good to be true. The problem with the warranty only being 90 days is that I don't want to garage the Jeep all Summer. Sort of want to scoop this up and hold on to it until I get time this Fall.

Quick Reply: 5.7Hemi Swap or LS