Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to outfit the JKU with 35" what aftermarket axle do YOU recommend?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pwain
If MPG is truly a concern I would go with stock 3.73 and toss some 33s on and call it a day. Otherwise you will end up with a overbuilt rig that you're selling for a sedan in 18 months.
Sounds good everyone thank for the advice...I am now leaning towards 33" but the decison won't be made until May when I pick it up. Still in Afghanistan for a few more months, later fellas!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill only toss one big thing out there. Dont add a bunch of weight to it. If you dont want to lose MPG, want to keep your stock ride, and only want to play in light stuff a bit then just try to add as little weight as you can. Every time I turn around it seems like I just bolted or welded on another 50 pounds someplace.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bearman95
My 12 JKU Rubicon COD works just fine with the stock axle and 373 rear end on and off road with 5 speed auto. I have 35x12.5x17 tires. I do not do any thing heavy like rock crawling, just mud and sand type stuff. Still get around 17mpg in city and 19 on highway.
How are you getting that mpg? I have the same set up but I'm getting in the 13s city and it goes down to 11 on the highway.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by agbwon2

Sounds good everyone thank for the advice...I am now leaning towards 33" but the decison won't be made until May when I pick it up. Still in Afghanistan for a few more months, later fellas!
Thanks for you service sir!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing extra is needed!

Just buy the Tera flex 2.5" BB, 1.5" spiderTrax spacers and drive.

35" will be just fine.

Back when these JKs first came out, a good majority of the early JK owners just did the BB rout and called it good.

If you're wanting DD manners on 35" tires, nothing else is needed. Especially on 3:73 gearing.

Thank you for your service, keep your head on a swivel & be safe.
323rd 1st INF

Enjoy your jeep!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylarsJK

How are you getting that mpg? I have the same set up but I'm getting in the 13s city and it goes down to 11 on the highway.
Better question is how are you getting better gas mileage in the city compared to highway??
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher

Better question is how are you getting better gas mileage in the city compared to highway??
I always thought it was because I needed to regear. It's the 3.6 so it has plenty of power
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought it was because I needed to regear. It's the 3.6 so it has plenty of power
Still doesn't make any sense... Your city MPG should be lower.

And 11mpg highway with a Pentastar is AWFUL!

Last edited by SpicedCrusher; 02-05-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Take it to the dealer. You should have warranty. It sounds like you may have something wrong. I have heard of mileage tanking in regards to sticking valves.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gowheelin

Take it to the dealer. You should have warranty. It sounds like you may have something wrong. I have heard of mileage tanking in regards to sticking valves.
I need to go for my free oil change anyway so I need to do that. Crazy that that would happen at just 7000 miles

Quick Reply: About to outfit the JKU with 35" what aftermarket axle do YOU recommend?