Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake upgrade needed using stock 17" wheels

Old 03-14-2018, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake upgrade needed using stock 17" wheels

I have a 2014 JK sport that is equipped with stock 17" Rubicon rims and no wheel spacers. The brakes are getting worn and I have added a fair amount of weight to the vehicle in tires, body armor, winch and other upgrades. I am looking for recommendations to upgrade the brake system to compensate for the added weight without changing rims or adding wheel spacers. Looking for recommendations for pads, rotors, calipers, etc... that will improve my braking performance compared to original OEM parts.Thanks.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What's the budget?

Dynatrac and Teraflex have big rotor kits for all four corners. (bigger rotors / pads / brackets) Teraflex was roughly $350 less than dynatrac when I got mine.

Teraflex and Mopar have front big brake kits. (rotors / pads / brackets / twin piston calipers - brakelines and/or booster/master depending on year/kit)

Then there are several vendors with much more pricey alternatives, if that floats your boat.

Or, some are happy with just getting stock-sized power stop rotors and new pads, or similar.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I put the Dynatrac kit in mine, front and rear. Stops better on 37s now than it did all stock. I have 17" Level 8 Tracker pros on mine and the clearance is tight, but it works. Dynatrac has templates that you can print out and check inside your wheels.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

On my 2014 jkur I ran Tera flex's big rotor kit and for the money and ease of installation it was worth every penny. I ran it with stock pads and they did great. I will be adding the same to my new jkur recon.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ireding
I have a 2014 JK sport that is equipped with stock 17" Rubicon rims and no wheel spacers. The brakes are getting worn and I have added a fair amount of weight to the vehicle in tires, body armor, winch and other upgrades. I am looking for recommendations to upgrade the brake system to compensate for the added weight without changing rims or adding wheel spacers. Looking for recommendations for pads, rotors, calipers, etc... that will improve my braking performance compared to original OEM parts.Thanks.
Here's a link to our fitment guide, so you can verify if our ProGrip brake upgrade will fit your 17-inch wheels.

https://www.dynatrac.com/downloads/W...structions.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Ireding (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I put the Dynatrac kit in mine, front and rear. Stops better on 37s now than it did all stock. I have 17" Level 8 Tracker pros on mine and the clearance is tight, but it works. Dynatrac has templates that you can print out and check inside your wheels.
I don't want to sound argumentative, but I guess I'll risk that. Please, these are honest thoughts about your statement above because I'm confused. And I've discussed this with my daughter, who happens to be an engineering physicist IRL, a year away from her PhD, and she agrees with me.

The stopping power of an OEM Jeep is the tires on the pavement. You can't stop any faster because the antiskid will kick in. Once the antiskid kicks in, that's it. You're not going to stop any faster. So, unless you've done something to the Jeep that keeps the antiskid from kicking in, you can't stop faster. It has to do with the coefficient of friction between the tire and the surface the tire is on. NOTHING can make you stop any faster once antiskid kicks in.

Now, that isn't saying these big brake kits don't have a place. They certainly do. Smaller brakes overheat more quickly, so brake fade is reduced. And towing trailers and the mass of mods can push the vehicle along, overpowering the antiskid. So, I'm not disagreeing that you've improved your brakes. I'm disagreeing that putting these brakes on an OEM Jeep will make it stop faster. Or, at least the implication I read in your post.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Raybestos EHT brake pads

Originally Posted by Ireding
<snip> ... Looking for recommendations for pads, rotors, calipers, etc... that will improve my braking performance compared to original OEM parts.Thanks. </snip>
Copied from a previous post, this might be what you're after:

Installed the new Raybestos ceramic-metallic hybrid brake pads (EHT1273H & EHT1274H) about 500 miles ago. The DOT friction code rating is GG for all pads, factory is FF -- A higher coefficient of friction should translate into more braking force for the same pedal effort. The shims on the back of the pads are thin steel bonded to resilient material that's bonded to the back of the pad.

Can't quantitatively say how much better the braking might be, but it feels like an improvement.

Attachment 663601
Attachment 663602

Last edited by Mr.T; 03-15-2018 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ireding (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I don't want to sound argumentative, but I guess I'll risk that. Please, these are honest thoughts about your statement above because I'm confused. And I've discussed this with my daughter, who happens to be an engineering physicist IRL, a year away from her PhD, and she agrees with me.

The stopping power of an OEM Jeep is the tires on the pavement. You can't stop any faster because the antiskid will kick in. Once the antiskid kicks in, that's it. You're not going to stop any faster. So, unless you've done something to the Jeep that keeps the antiskid from kicking in, you can't stop faster. It has to do with the coefficient of friction between the tire and the surface the tire is on. NOTHING can make you stop any faster once antiskid kicks in.

Now, that isn't saying these big brake kits don't have a place. They certainly do. Smaller brakes overheat more quickly, so brake fade is reduced. And towing trailers and the mass of mods can push the vehicle along, overpowering the antiskid. So, I'm not disagreeing that you've improved your brakes. I'm disagreeing that putting these brakes on an OEM Jeep will make it stop faster. Or, at least the implication I read in your post.
It's all about leverage. While tire surface area does play a factor, the inertia of the rotating mass plays way more of a part in getting your Jeep slowed down and stopped. Especially when you have a Jeep with larger wheels and tires installed, which are typically heavier than factory units, and that increased weight adds even more inertia to the package that the breaks have to overcome when getting your Jeep stopped. It's a lot like when you're trying to loosen a nut or bolt that's really tight. You go get a longer ratchet, wrench or breaker bar to get it loose. That's leverage, and it's similar to how larger brakes work to increase stopping power and ability.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

Hrm... I don't buy that completely. So, first, the constants. In this case, we will say the same size tires, the same weight for the rig, and the same ABS system, same pavement, and same weather conditions. Same ABS means that the length of time and pressure exerted by the calipers is the same for OEM and Dynatrac. So far, they would produce the same braking performance. What does differ is the distance from the axis where the braking takes place. OEM is closer to the axis. Dynatrac is further. From physics.bu.edu - The size of torque depends on the size of force applied (in this case the caliper so OEM and Dynatrac are equal) and it's perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation. Dynatrac places the caliper further from the axis of rotation so it produces more torque. So even for the very small amount of time the brakes are engaged by the ABS system, the Dynatrac brakes are doing more to stop the vehicle.

SO.. does the Dynatrac system cause a jeep to stop faster than the OEM brakes... hypothetically, yes... in real world tests... well, Dynatrac reports "fully instrumented testing showed lower brake pedal pressure and a reduction of stopping distance of up to 30 percent compared to stock brakes on a Jeep JK outfitted with a 4-inch lift and 37 inch tall tires. Measured G-force during moderate braking (1,000 psi brake fluid pressure) increased from 0.48 Gs with stock brakes to 0.63 Gs with the Dynatrac ProGrip system."... this is from the Dynatrac website, so of course it's in their interest, but I'm sure they can produce the information on testing.

<EDIT> ... you assumed that you've consumed all of the stopping power of the tires (friction between the tires and the pavement)... from above, it would appear that the OEM system does not consume all of the stopping power, which is why the Dynatrac system can produce better numbers with all constant other than the rotors and pads.

Last edited by jedg; 03-15-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: brake upgrade needed using stock 17" wheels