Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable control arm jam nuts came lose

Old 05-15-2011, 03:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable control arm jam nuts came lose

ok so let me apologize now if this issue is all over the site and for my terminology is off. but here we go

just installed a 6inch sky jacker lift of my jk. after driving for maybe 150 miles on the road i was just looking around and noticed my jam nuts came lose on the front control arms and caused the part of the control that mounts to spin to one side. my question is, do you think the bushings are shot now or do you think i will be ok and just spin it back the proper positoin.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

...anyone?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think the bushing would be done but the thread itself. if you tightened up the jamnut and it keeps coming loose that is not good. shouldnt damage the bushings in a short period of time.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default hmm

wow.. almost the same thing happened to my cousin this past weekend while wheeling at the badlands. He drove 150 miles on it.. and we were having a good time at the badlands.. and while out on the trails he noticed his 4 wheel low wouldnt engage.. and while checking into that issue he noticed one of the nuts on the bolt that attaches his drivers side control arm was gone and the bolt was hanging on literally by a thread. lucky enough the pro shop had a spare. that could have been really bad!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DMB1685
ok so let me apologize now if this issue is all over the site and for my terminology is off. but here we go

just installed a 6inch sky jacker lift of my jk. after driving for maybe 150 miles on the road i was just looking around and noticed my jam nuts came lose on the front control arms and caused the part of the control that mounts to spin to one side. my question is, do you think the bushings are shot now or do you think i will be ok and just spin it back the proper positoin.
the bushing should be just fine. just position things back to where they need to be and tighten up the jam nut again
Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Buy these...

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...od=EVO-LINXLOK
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a big wrench to tighten the jamnut. You may also want to use the same big wrench to keep it tight if it loosens again. Locktight is your friend, also some stuff called Amazing Goop.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive seen some guys use a second jam nut stacked to help reassure themselves....Locktite for sure though!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Use a big wrench to tighten the jamnut. You may also want to use the same big wrench to keep it tight if it loosens again. Locktight is your friend, also some stuff called Amazing Goop.
Also what I have found effective is clear RTV, take some of it and put it on the clean surface of the jam nut and make a bridge of it to the clean surface of the rod or the clean threads. Use it like torque stripe. Hide it on the inside out of sight. I know it sounds like it won't hold, but I've been doing this on nuts and bolts on motorcycles and 4wheelers a long time and none have viberated loose or come out. It really holds nuts, bolts, and screws in their place.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jknockers
Also what I have found effective is clear RTV, take some of it and put it on the clean surface of the jam nut and make a bridge of it to the clean surface of the rod or the clean threads. Use it like torque stripe. Hide it on the inside out of sight. I know it sounds like it won't hold, but I've been doing this on nuts and bolts on motorcycles and 4wheelers a long time and none have viberated loose or come out. It really holds nuts, bolts, and screws in their place.
Yeah,that works good aswell,I've used rtv in the past for alot of stuff until I started using the Amazing Goop stuff.

Quick Reply: Adjustable control arm jam nuts came lose