Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Control Arms Jam Nuts

Old 08-20-2016, 04:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
is it lowers for both for the wheelbase I heard the rear uppers were for wheel base?
Rear Uppers are commonly used to raise the pinion to correct pinion angle. Youll see people will install front lowers for caster and rear uppers for pinion only. Rear lowers add wheelbase and front uppers are kinda a waste in a short arm setup.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Who you calling a loser? Lol Correct, decide and set your wheelbase with lowers. I prefer to install the lowers, ensure axles are parallel and square, then hold pinion angle where you want it and adjust the uppers to the mount locations. Torque before dropping the jack. Front you can do easily with the tires on the ground. Rear will need to be on stands with tires removed to gain access to the uppers. The lowers locate the axles so the settings of each arm are more important. Uppers lengths dont matter as much, setting to the mounts so all 4 bolts slide in/out ensures theres no binding or preload.
I was so confused until I re-read my previous reply. I meant to say *lowers*, lol.

Also, are you suggesting the control arm bolts be torqued while still up on the jack? Don't people always preach to leave them loose, drop the jack, shake the jeep a bit, and then torque- in order to avoid binding/preload on the bushings?
Old 08-20-2016, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I was so confused until I re-read my previous reply. I meant to say *lowers*, lol. Also, are you suggesting the control arm bolts be torqued while still up on the jack? Don't people always preach to leave them loose, drop the jack, shake the jeep a bit, and then torque- in order to avoid binding/preload on the bushings?
Yes sir, front is done "on the ground" rear stands are under the axle... Same as on the ground. The jack is supporting the pinion (angle)
Also tightening at ride height mainly refers to the stock bushings or any arm with bonded rubber joints. Heims, Spherical joints wont matter as much as far as binding because the ball spins.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:38 PM
JK Junkie

After adjusting my fronts I got 4.90 driver camber and 4.77 on my passenger. On the center of the road of a 3 lane drives straight.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
After adjusting my fronts I got 4.90 driver CASTER and 4.77 on my passenger. On the center of the road of a 3 lane drives straight.
If you had 4-5* of camber then you'd have some funny wearing tires
Old 08-22-2016, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If you had 4-5* of camber then you'd have some funny wearing tires
gotcha right now I'm at 1.3 driver and .9 passenger on camber will be doing my ball joints this weekend. Hopefully it is just ball joints not the c's if it is the c's I heard there's this wedge people can install to fix the camber issue, but pretty sure it's my ball joints that are bad.

Last edited by matt852; 08-22-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Crows foot and breaker bar
I figured I resurrect an old thread due to having to tighten my LCA jam nuts.

I didn't have a Crows foot but I found a very similar method that worked for me.

Bench vise + C-Clamp

Then tightened down with a pipe wrench with a long pipe from my floor jack.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-08-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I figured I resurrect an old thread due to having to tighten my LCA jam nuts. I didn't have a Crows foot but I found a very similar method that worked for me. Bench vise + C-Clamp Then tightened down with a pipe wrench with a long pipe from my floor jack.
There you go. The 2nd time around i used a c-clamp and spacers i made for the vise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo630.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	908.4 KB
ID:	673997  
Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a little Video on how to properly tighten a Jam Nut

https://youtu.be/gvkSpsvVkPA
Old 08-09-2017, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Metal cloak has these nice crows foot wrenches in 1 1/2" and 1 7/8" . We have them in the shop I help at and they are handy and the price is pretty good. They allow you to get into tight spaces where you might not be able to get a big wrench into.
Crow's Foot 1 1/2" Duroflex Jam Nut Wrench

Quick Reply: Adjustable Control Arms Jam Nuts