Advice On rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

View Poll Results: Which side mount gerry can bumper/carrier?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Garvin

0 0%
  • AEV (not ARB)

1 25.00%
  • Hanson

0 0%
  • Rock Hard

0 0%
  • Shrockworks

2 50.00%
  • LOD

1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Advice On rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

Default Advice On rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

I know, I know, I know...this has been beat to death by now, but there are always new products that I might not be finding.

First thing first: I'm a mild off-roader...drive Jeep to all off roading events, so I need to keep it together, so I can drive it home. Don't plan to bounce off any rocks, so I could go steel or aluminum. 33" KO2s.

In the market for new bumpers. LOVE the style of the OR Fab tire carrier and new ShmittyBuilt Atlas. I'd prefer having gerry cans between the spare and the back of Jeep...don't like them sticking out the sides, and if I put bags there instead of gerry cans, I like that location.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8c9d8bb9bff0d1a7f172985cc276b534.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	676269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a4e933aef2fa8cd22e479ffa71eb50cd.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	676270

JCR has one, but I don't want rotoplex cans, because I'd rather have 10gal.
    Name:  86cbf24327159844290d6b91e5d53cca.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  12.3 KB

OR Fab is out of business (or I'd get that one), and I have my doubts on ShmittyBuilt quality. My main concern is rattles, and the Atlas hasn't been around long enough to have reliable reviews...and it weighs almost 200lbs.

Does anyone know of a different tire carrier that has gerry can storage between the spare tire and the back door?

Is anyone selling a used OR Fab tire carrier?

Does anyone have the Atlas rear bumper? I'd appreciate hearing about the quality so far.

If I don't get the SmittyBuilt (or similar) I'm going to have to go with side mounted gerry cans (Garvin, Hanson, RockHard, ARB, LOD, Shrockworks), and would eventually want a spare tire rack (above the spare). This is going to be a tough choice, because they all seem similar. Again, low rattles, weight, quality would be how I choose. It wouldn't hurt if the matching front bumper/winch set up also looked cool.

Thanks JK Dudes (and possibly Dudettes)
    2007 Stone white X
    Hard top
    6 Speed manual
    1.5" OME Lift
    33" KO2
    Wheelin

Sorry I can't help you out with your particular problem but I can't support the teraflex hinge enough. Simple, they have a spare tire rack now, rock solid hi lift and antenna mount, and rotopax mount from hi lift. Even though this doesn't leave room for your gerry can problem there are numerous other places to mount them. My favorite spot is the morryde side mounts. Check it out!

JK Side Mount (Passenger Side Universal Tray Kit) - MORryde Products
    07 Jk 2DR. OME 2616/2617. Pro comp 7069. Cooper Discoverer ST 285/70r/16. Teraflex Hinge Carrier. Warn M8000. RK LCA. RK Front Trackbar. JKS Rear Trackbar. RK Quick Disco. OME Steering Stabilizer. Spohn Mountain Goat Tie Rod. Coverking Nylon Seat Covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    Sorry I can't help you out with your particular problem but I can't support the teraflex hinge enough. Simple, they have a spare tire rack now, rock solid hi lift and antenna mount, and rotopax mount from hi lift. Even though this doesn't leave room for your gerry can problem there are numerous other places to mount them. My favorite spot is the morryde side mounts. Check it out!

JK Side Mount (Passenger Side Universal Tray Kit) - MORryde Products
    Thanks! I was wondering about the stronger hinges. Can you attach one of those racks that goes above the spare tire to those?
    2007 Stone white X
    Hard top
    6 Speed manual
    1.5" OME Lift
    33" KO2
    Wheelin

I can tell you first hand the Shrockworks is a beast! It is bulletproof; and is exceptionally quiet.

It is pricy, but is totally worth it. Their turn around time from when you order it to when you receive it is still crazy long, (a couple of months), but I went and picked mine up in person, and they showed me around, and they are very busy.

I love mine, can’t say enough good things!

Happy Jeeping!
    2013 JK Rubicon 2-Door in Dune
    6-Speed Manual/4.10 gears
    OR-Fab Full Width Front Bumper
    Warn VR-10,000 Winch
    2.5in Teraflex Lift + half in. Rear Spacer
    Bilstein 5100's
    315/70r17 GoodYear MTR K

Quote Originally Posted by XPoser View Post
    Thanks! I was wondering about the stronger hinges. Can you attach one of those racks that goes above the spare tire to those?
    Yes sir, Teraflex has a spare tire rack but it is really expensive for some. I have been looking at alternate options through fabrication or modification of something like the bestop highrock spare tire rack. However, I have not come up with a suitable solution yet.
    07 Jk 2DR. OME 2616/2617. Pro comp 7069. Cooper Discoverer ST 285/70r/16. Teraflex Hinge Carrier. Warn M8000. RK LCA. RK Front Trackbar. JKS Rear Trackbar. RK Quick Disco. OME Steering Stabilizer. Spohn Mountain Goat Tie Rod. Coverking Nylon Seat Covers.

I ran the smittybilt xrc back in the day and honestly, if your concerned about rattles..your better off going with a teraflex tire carrier or evo tire carrier and a stand alone rear bumper you like. I had nothing but issues with rattles on that xrc setup, and have seen others deal with rattles on their integrated bumper with tire carriers. I went with the TF tire carrier and the evo d ring with fascia setup, love the look and its rock solid with my heavy 37 on beadlocks. Just my opinion. Good luck
    Mike
    08 JKU 3.5 RK X-Factor w/ 37s

I went with TF myself and I'm glad I did after seeing problems on other's rigs.
    JKUR - 3" TF ST Lift; Fuel Recoils w/ BFG 35s; TF Bumpers; Warn Zeon 10S; Lifetime LEDs