Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which side mount gerry can bumper/carrier?
Garvin
0%
AEV (not ARB)
14.29%
Hanson
14.29%
Rock Hard
0%
Shrockworks
28.57%
LOD
42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Advice On rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

Old 12-01-2017, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

I know, I know, I know...this has been beat to death by now, but there are always new products that I might not be finding.

First thing first: I'm a mild off-roader...drive Jeep to all off roading events, so I need to keep it together, so I can drive it home. Don't plan to bounce off any rocks, so I could go steel or aluminum. 33" KO2s.

In the market for new bumpers. LOVE the style of the OR Fab tire carrier and new ShmittyBuilt Atlas. I'd prefer having gerry cans between the spare and the back of Jeep...don't like them sticking out the sides, and if I put bags there instead of gerry cans, I like that location.
Click image for larger version

Name:	8c9d8bb9bff0d1a7f172985cc276b534.jpg
Views:	1463
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	676269Click image for larger version

Name:	a4e933aef2fa8cd22e479ffa71eb50cd.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	676270

JCR has one, but I don't want rotoplex cans, because I'd rather have 10gal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	86cbf24327159844290d6b91e5d53cca.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	676271

OR Fab is out of business (or I'd get that one), and I have my doubts on ShmittyBuilt quality. My main concern is rattles, and the Atlas hasn't been around long enough to have reliable reviews...and it weighs almost 200lbs.

Does anyone know of a different tire carrier that has gerry can storage between the spare tire and the back door?

Is anyone selling a used OR Fab tire carrier?

Does anyone have the Atlas rear bumper? I'd appreciate hearing about the quality so far.

If I don't get the SmittyBuilt (or similar) I'm going to have to go with side mounted gerry cans (Garvin, Hanson, RockHard, ARB, LOD, Shrockworks), and would eventually want a spare tire rack (above the spare). This is going to be a tough choice, because they all seem similar. Again, low rattles, weight, quality would be how I choose. It wouldn't hurt if the matching front bumper/winch set up also looked cool.

Thanks JK Dudes (and possibly Dudettes)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry I can't help you out with your particular problem but I can't support the teraflex hinge enough. Simple, they have a spare tire rack now, rock solid hi lift and antenna mount, and rotopax mount from hi lift. Even though this doesn't leave room for your gerry can problem there are numerous other places to mount them. My favorite spot is the morryde side mounts. Check it out!

JK Side Mount (Passenger Side Universal Tray Kit) - MORryde Products
Old 12-03-2017, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tilly
Sorry I can't help you out with your particular problem but I can't support the teraflex hinge enough. Simple, they have a spare tire rack now, rock solid hi lift and antenna mount, and rotopax mount from hi lift. Even though this doesn't leave room for your gerry can problem there are numerous other places to mount them. My favorite spot is the morryde side mounts. Check it out!

JK Side Mount (Passenger Side Universal Tray Kit) - MORryde Products
Thanks! I was wondering about the stronger hinges. Can you attach one of those racks that goes above the spare tire to those?
Old 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I can tell you first hand the Shrockworks is a beast! It is bulletproof; and is exceptionally quiet.

It is pricy, but is totally worth it. Their turn around time from when you order it to when you receive it is still crazy long, (a couple of months), but I went and picked mine up in person, and they showed me around, and they are very busy.

I love mine, can’t say enough good things!

Happy Jeeping!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XPoser
Thanks! I was wondering about the stronger hinges. Can you attach one of those racks that goes above the spare tire to those?
Yes sir, Teraflex has a spare tire rack but it is really expensive for some. I have been looking at alternate options through fabrication or modification of something like the bestop highrock spare tire rack. However, I have not come up with a suitable solution yet.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the smittybilt xrc back in the day and honestly, if your concerned about rattles..your better off going with a teraflex tire carrier or evo tire carrier and a stand alone rear bumper you like. I had nothing but issues with rattles on that xrc setup, and have seen others deal with rattles on their integrated bumper with tire carriers. I went with the TF tire carrier and the evo d ring with fascia setup, love the look and its rock solid with my heavy 37 on beadlocks. Just my opinion. Good luck
Old 12-13-2017, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

I went with TF myself and I'm glad I did after seeing problems on other's rigs.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by XPoser
I know, I know, I know...this has been beat to death by now, but there are always new products that I might not be finding.

First thing first: I'm a mild off-roader...drive Jeep to all off roading events, so I need to keep it together, so I can drive it home. Don't plan to bounce off any rocks, so I could go steel or aluminum. 33" KO2s.

In the market for new bumpers. LOVE the style of the OR Fab tire carrier and new ShmittyBuilt Atlas. I'd prefer having gerry cans between the spare and the back of Jeep...don't like them sticking out the sides, and if I put bags there instead of gerry cans, I like that location.
Attachment 676269Attachment 676270

JCR has one, but I don't want rotoplex cans, because I'd rather have 10gal.
Attachment 676271

OR Fab is out of business (or I'd get that one), and I have my doubts on ShmittyBuilt quality. My main concern is rattles, and the Atlas hasn't been around long enough to have reliable reviews...and it weighs almost 200lbs.

Does anyone know of a different tire carrier that has gerry can storage between the spare tire and the back door?

Is anyone selling a used OR Fab tire carrier?

Does anyone have the Atlas rear bumper? I'd appreciate hearing about the quality so far.

If I don't get the SmittyBuilt (or similar) I'm going to have to go with side mounted gerry cans (Garvin, Hanson, RockHard, ARB, LOD, Shrockworks), and would eventually want a spare tire rack (above the spare). This is going to be a tough choice, because they all seem similar. Again, low rattles, weight, quality would be how I choose. It wouldn't hurt if the matching front bumper/winch set up also looked cool.

Thanks JK Dudes (and possibly Dudettes)

Does anyone own the XRC Atlas? The on-line videos make it seem solid, but wondering how it holds up to offroading, and if adjusting the angle of the tire carrier fixes any rattles.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tire Carrier

What about the Poison Spyder JK Tire carrier? It's built like a tank, and is quiet as a church mouse. I just installed mine and ran the wires through the tubing for a clean install. I also custom fabricated a rear mount plate for License plate, Plate light, brake light and rear camera. When the brake light is off the Poison Spyder is body color (Mango Tango) when on it lights up red. I absolutely love this set-up, it has multiple different mounting points for high lift jack and rotopax. I highly recommend it to everyone.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2985.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	676582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2966.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	676584Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3012.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	676585Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2993.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	676586Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3011.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	676587
Old 12-21-2017, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

After cursing tire swings for years I got a Teraflex hinged unit and love it. Wayalife be damned, works great. Even Mopar now fits one to the Recon, and there are some less expensive clones to chose from.

Quick Reply: Advice On rear Bumper/Tire Carrier