Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice from those who painted or bedlined your bumpers

Old 10-07-2018, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice from those who painted or bedlined your bumpers

I have a Smittybuilt Atlas front bumper that's taken some stone chips which allowed the road salt to do its thing.

the bumper has the hammered look, which I really like. The finish is semi gloss NOT gloss which I do not prefer.

On the fence....bedline or give the hammered paints a shot?

Rattel can or roll / brush on?

Duplicolor, Rustoluem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2018, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you like the texture then go with the bedliner. I was able to get a finer texture out of a bedliner spray can. I think for just a bumper you'd be coming out ahead with cans of bedliner vs buying a kit or buying the spray kit (Upol). Obviously use self-etching primer under where you're painting and just spray it nicely.

On the finish- the bedliner tends to be more of a matte finish. You can add clear coat on top of it to give it a different finish. The other thing that I've done is prime, bedline, then hit it with your favorite black spray paint. I'm adding a gloss clear coat to all spray jobs from here out though because it does give the paint a little more protection from fading so quickly. I'm using a wheel refinish clear coat on my bumpers and rails. Selecting a matte or satin clear should help you achieve the look you're going for.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you use the hammered paint dupli-color now has a clear bed liner that should help it hold up. Bottom line though is if you wheel it even bed liner will chip and rust.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If you like the texture then go with the bedliner. I was able to get a finer texture out of a bedliner spray can. I think for just a bumper you'd be coming out ahead with cans of bedliner vs buying a kit or buying the spray kit (Upol). Obviously use self-etching primer under where you're painting and just spray it nicely.

On the finish- the bedliner tends to be more of a matte finish. You can add clear coat on top of it to give it a different finish. The other thing that I've done is prime, bedline, then hit it with your favorite black spray paint. I'm adding a gloss clear coat to all spray jobs from here out though because it does give the paint a little more protection from fading so quickly. I'm using a wheel refinish clear coat on my bumpers and rails. Selecting a matte or satin clear should help you achieve the look you're going for.
Thanks for the advice, never thought of painting on top of the bed liner....cool trick. You helped steer me away of roll on going to stick with the rattle cans for sure.

cheers
Old 10-08-2018, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kevinlee
If you use the hammered paint dupli-color now has a clear bed liner that should help it hold up. Bottom line though is if you wheel it even bed liner will chip and rust.
I do like the hammered look, it's what the bumper came with.

Agreed on the chips from wheeling....almost as bad as the stone chips from my daily drive one the highway. Then mix in some good old liquid salt brine.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Check the JCR Offroad site. They had one of the best DIY paint videos I've seen. Don't know if it's still up.

Start with a good wash with Simple Green. Be sure to rinse well and allow to dry.

3 light coats of primer. Grey Black Grey. Alternating the contrasting colors makes it easier to see if you missed any spots.

Start applying the finish coat. I also use some bedliner followed by a finish coat. Spray using light coats with drying time between the coats. Make sure to the grey primer coat is completely covered.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bedlined my Barricade Trail Force bumper about 4 months ago and it's been holding up great through rocky dusty trails all while maintaining that dark black in spite of the SoCal sun. I used the Rustoleum spray can Bed Liner that I bought at Walmart for $6 and it was a pretty easy project. My recommendation would be to remove whatever you want to bedline and do several light coats where you spray in one direction. The hardest part for me was not getting to heavy handed and causing the spray to pool or run in one place but after a couple practice runs it got easy and I'm pleased with the results.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, forgot to mention that I spent a good 30 minutes being OCD with the cleaning and drying of the bumper. I think that was a key part in really getting the spray to hold up.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Prep, prep, prep, then spray

Ive done alot of spraying, i have a shop with a booth....finisher by trade....i have those smittybilt xrc bumpers that have the removable skid plates that i did in red and tank( jeeps body color)...and the poison spyder diff covers that i did in black and red....i also had a visor/ grill that i did in the bedliner to match the xrc rock rails.....but ya...prep alot and scuff with 280 grit and follow that with a burgandy brillo pad to fully remove any previous sheen or petina....i would be careful not to put the primer on too thick....the thinner the coat of primer( as long as it adhiring ) the less likelyhood of chipping....

Last edited by Mike Sharrard; 10-11-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Sharrard
.i would be careful not to put the primer on too thick....the thinner the coat of primer( as long as it adhiring ) the less likelyhood of chipping....
That is interesting. I don't think I've ever heard that.

Quick Reply: Advice from those who painted or bedlined your bumpers