Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice from those who painted or bedlined your bumpers

Old 10-11-2018, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my old bumper in bed liner before I sold it. Raptor liner. Super happy - looked tough but never got a chance to test it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo857.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	677216  
Old 10-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Currently here's my best recipe I've came up with for a great powder coating look, using rattle cans.
1. Wire brush any existing rust areas down to bare metal. (Use an angle grinder with wire brush wheel and/or a Dremel with wire brush wheel depending on size job of rust to remove).
2. Sand any uneven areas
3. Go over any bare metal areas with rust reformer. This will contain any rust that has started to form previously. Even if you think you wire brushed down to bare metal, there are still small pits that will eventually start to grow from underneath any paint you put over the top.

4. Use self etching primer to go over any bare metal to create a paintable surface on top of the steal.

5. Spray paint with Rustoleum Fine Textured Black (This is the best I've found for color and the right amount of texture to match the powder coating of the hard rock and AEV bumpers.)
6. Go over the paint with Rustoleum "Matte" finish clear coat. The matte finish will maintain the non glossy look while adding a top layer of protection to protect against chipping and scratches. I recommend at least 2 coats of the matte finish clear.

My AEV front bumper before/after which had seam rust. It is holding up well, and I think it looks great.

Before

After

This is my "Mo-China-Par" fuel door cover which I put through the same process.

Before

After

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-16-2018 at 03:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice from those who painted or bedlined your bumpers