Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV High Steer: Loose Drag Link

Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV High Steer: Loose Drag Link

So the drag link end that connects to the knuckle on my AEV high steer kit is loose and moves around on the knuckle. The bolt can not be tightened anymore. The hole that the tie rod goes into is supposed to be .875" and the hole is measured at .917". It looks like its time for a new knuckle.

Would I encounter any problems if I went for a knuckle like the Reid Racing ones that have the lifted drag link end and using a high steer kit? Or Would I have to get a new drag link as well if I went that route? Is it even possible to find new OEM steering knuckles?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

You could go with the Reid or Rancho high steer knuckles and use that same drag link. The DL still mounts from the top on those knuckles just like your factory one.

I'm sure you could probably source someone's factory take off as well and just drill the DL opening to 7/8" and be right back where you were. That would be the cheapest option if you can find a factory one. You may or may not see the benefit vs. price of the aftermarket knuckles.

How did the opening in that knuckle expand from .875" to .917"? That is a huge difference.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

I have no idea how the hole got so big, maybe just excessive wear? It looks like you can get OEM steering knuckles (part 68004086AA) for around $300. The Reid ones are cheaper so I may go that route. I hear the tie rod mount is also higher on them. Would this give me problems if I only got one instead of two?

Last edited by Peytoven; 07-31-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:31 PM
JK Junkie

Do you have the older RHD drag link or no Drill drag link?
If the latter you will have to replace the Knuckle. A friend went through the same deal, taper was drilled to deep on stock knuckles.
That or if you go with Reid, Rancho, you will need a stock RHD drag link.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

I have the older drag link that required drilling
Old 07-31-2017, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by Peytoven
I have no idea how the hole got so big, maybe just excessive wear? It looks like you can get OEM steering knuckles (part 68004086AA) for around $300. The Reid ones are cheaper so I may go that route. I hear the tie rod mount is also higher on them. Would this give me problems if I only got one instead of two?
Y, you're not going to run an Reid or Rancho on one side and factory on the other. It's a replace both sides or find the one factory that you need. There's probably not a lot of salvage yards in the Durango area.....although your trade off is living in beautiful country! The Ranchos are a decent bit cheaper than the Reids, and reviews so far seem to be pretty good if you can get past the not 100% made in USA banner on their website that some throw a fit about. I'd bet around certain cities likd DFW here, one could find a used factory knuckle pretty cheap.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the tapered bushing that goes into the knuckle still there or broken? You may be able to order an upsized bushing.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Is the tapered bushing that goes into the knuckle still there or broken? You may be able to order an upsized bushing.
Or have one machined. Might be cheaper and a lot easier to install.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Y, you're not going to run an Reid or Rancho on one side and factory on the other. It's a replace both sides or find the one factory that you need. There's probably not a lot of salvage yards in the Durango area.....although your trade off is living in beautiful country! The Ranchos are a decent bit cheaper than the Reids, and reviews so far seem to be pretty good if you can get past the not 100% made in USA banner on their website that some throw a fit about. I'd bet around certain cities likd DFW here, one could find a used factory knuckle pretty cheap.
A beautiful area indeed. wouldn't want to be anywhere else, not for all the parts in the world haha.

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
I have the sleeve and it is in good condition. I have been searching around for another one but not much luck with a very particular size

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Or have one machined. Might be cheaper and a lot easier to install.
I will explore this option as well.

Currently, I am going to avoid buying after market knuckles unless for some reason I have to. From what I understand if I go with the Reid or Ranco you have problems with the raised tie rod making contact with bolts on the high steer kit. Fixable but frankly I want to do this repair as cheaply as easy as possible
Old 08-01-2017, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Last question: anybody know anything about the crown automotive knuckle(https://www.quadratec.com/products/56121_0011.htm)?

Quick Reply: AEV High Steer: Loose Drag Link