Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV, Teraflex, or Rancho?

Old 05-09-2019, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AEV, Teraflex, or Rancho?

Looking for advice on a lift. Jeep is mainly driven on the highway but does see action on weekends. Any advice, reviews, or other recommendations would be appreciated.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/prod...uspension-2-5/
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-2...-w-9550-shocks
2018 - 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 Door - 2-in. Sport System w/RS9000XL Shocks - RS66118BR9 - Rancho® Performance Suspension & Shocks
Old 05-09-2019, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

None of those options supply a means to correct caster, so keep that in mind and budget $90-$160 for some control arm brackets which are probably the best method for your stated use. I'm getting to the point of not really suggesting specific lifts so I'll leave it to others which will surely chime in on what they think you should get. Keep in mind that lifting a JK and adding larger tires will often lead to you addressing some steering components as well. Ball joints are a weak link in the D30/44 axles. You should have an adjustable front track bar, and may likely want a new tie rod along the way as well. These are just a few things that a lot of people don't think about. Lifting often costs a good bit more than what people initially plan on spending. Just budget appropriately. Best of luck with the build!
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
JoeDavis (05-09-2019), Maven4x4 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

I know that AEV has a geometry correction kit which i would buy with the AEV lift. Control arms are also going to come later.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDavis
I know that AEV has a geometry correction kit which i would buy with the AEV lift. Control arms are also going to come later.
Rancho and Metalcloak make nice 1-piece control arm brackets. They cost a little more but you might want to at least look at them. They're not quite as cumbersome to install.

Do you plan on lifting higher in the future? Unless you're wheelin hardcore things and need a beefier arm, most don't need after market control arms for something in that 2.5" range. The real need for adjustable arms is lifting higher. The arms allow you to re-extend the wheelbase and adjust pinion angles when doing so. Really, a 2.5" lift with some control arm brackets is going to make a very capable and fun vehicle both on the pavement and some moderate off-pavement play. The biggest aspect is always just correcting that caster so the jeep's road manners stay compliant.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
JoeDavis (05-09-2019), Maven4x4 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

I dont think im going to go much higher than 3/3.5.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Many of the CA Brackets have holes placed for 2.5" / 3.5" / 4.5", so they can grow with your build. If you choose to go with arms, just remember that a single set is all you need to rotate the axle at lower heights. The second set will be for more fine tuning, and at taller heights will allow you to reposition the axles forward/backward in the wheel well. But yeah, at 2.5", a single set of arms up front is all you will need. Not all 4 sets...
Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

aev 2.5 is a great handling on and off road kit. you can drive 80mph for 750 miles without an issue and then play when you get where you are going.

The following users liked this post:
Maven4x4 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

thanks so much for the advice man!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Some how I always walk away shaking my head when reading these discussions, where the thought seems to be that when purchasing a kit, it's a purchase that kit and you're done or if you determine you need additional parts you then need to continue to purchase those parts from the same vendor since they're just extensions to that already purchased kit.

In my opinion most the kits mentioned are just a starting base point of lifting. There are always additional parts which need to be considered on adding for 90% of the kits out there, especially in this price range. Those additional parts typically aren't always the best path if you stay with the same vendor of the kit. Most of the more educated folks on these forums may start with a kit as a base but tend to go with other vendors on additional parts since the reality is that a vendor who is good at manufacturing springs may not be very good at manufacturing control arms and joints. Often a Frankenlift tends to be a very good solution approach.

None of these kits have HD ball joints, HD tie-rods, HD Drag links, HD Track bars, caster correction, brake line extensions, axle breather hose extensions, replacement drive shafts, or factory drive shaft clearance solutions.

In my opinion if you're asking which brand of lift to get, you're starting out asking the wrong question. The better question approach is that I'm interested in these 3 lifts, I've done my homework and understand what the purpose each of the included components are needed, I've identified this particular lift includes this component, and this other one doesn't or has this part instead. What are the differences and what are some additional component recommendations I would need to add to this kit and what would I expect to experience if I didn't add this additional component to the lift?

With that said, I personally would go with the AEV lift of the 3 options but there are quite a few components I would add quite a few components to that lift to further complete it and they likely may not come from AEV and may come from TF or Rancho instead.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-09-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

I know that these kits need all of the other components but just wanted any advice on which performs the best. I plan on adding things gradually.

Quick Reply: AEV, Teraflex, or Rancho?