Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV, Teraflex, or Rancho?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Some how I always walk away shaking my head when reading these discussions, where the thought seems to be that when purchasing a kit, it's a purchase that kit and you're done or if you determine you need additional parts you then need to continue to purchase those parts from the same vendor since they're just extensions to that already purchased kit.

In my opinion most the kits mentioned are just a starting base point of lifting. There are always additional parts which need to be considered on adding for 90% of the kits out there, especially in this price range. Those additional parts typically aren't always the best path if you stay with the same vendor of the kit. Most of the more educated folks on these forums may start with a kit as a base but tend to go with other vendors on additional parts since the reality is that a vendor who is good at manufacturing springs may not be very good at manufacturing control arms and joints. Often a Frankenlift tends to be a very good solution approach.

None of these kits have HD ball joints, HD tie-rods, HD Drag links, HD Track bars, caster correction, brake line extensions, axle breather hose extensions, replacement drive shafts, or factory drive shaft clearance solutions.

In my opinion if you're asking which brand of lift to get, you're starting out asking the wrong question. The better question approach is that I'm interested in these 3 lifts, I've done my homework and understand what the purpose each of the included components are needed, I've identified this particular lift includes this component, and this other one doesn't or has this part instead. What are the differences and what are some additional component recommendations I would need to add to this kit and what would I expect to experience if I didn't add this additional component to the lift?

With that said, I personally would go with the AEV lift of the 3 options but there are quite a few components I would add quite a few components to that lift to further complete it and they likely may not come from AEV and may come from TF or Rancho instead.
This all may be true if you are racing KOH or are hardcore but if like most of us we spend most of our time on roads or forest service roads and in fact do very little real offroading. The jeep I posted a photo of had AEV 2.5 and AEV geo brackets and did most of the trails in Moab including behind the rocks, golden spike, rose garden hill, potoato salad hill, Kane Creek etc and never had an issue and never had a scratch on the geo brackets. I have done the Rubicon trail and Dusy ershim etc without incident and go to Moab every year. I think people get caught up in the "I need to build a beast because it is the thing to do" vs what do I actually need to build to do what I do 95% of the time.

Last edited by jadmt; 05-09-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I know that these kits need all of the other components but just wanted any advice on which performs the best. I plan on adding things gradually.
So you're ok with starting minimal and adding as you go, you just want a good set of coils to build from. That's not a bad plan, as it let's you pick and choose the components you want, as you want them. (or find that you need them)

If you are open to other suggestions, there are a few 2.5" lifts here that might be worth adding to your list. (from somewhat minimal to way more than you need)
https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrang...uspension.html
Old 05-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDavis
I know that these kits need all of the other components but just wanted any advice on which performs the best. I plan on adding things gradually.
Define "Performs the best", since that is pretty vague and in most of the instances all of them could be considered to perform pretty poor without caster correction and depending on the size/weight of the tires you plan on pairing with the lift could perform even worse without the supporting steering upgrades.

The Rancho kit has the best shocks included out of the bunch but the springs only raise your rig high enough to accommodate 33in tires. What size tire are you going with for this lift? 35s perform better offroad, 33s perform better on road. Does that answer your question?

The Teraflex kit is designed to accommodate up to a 35in tire and includes a rear track bar bracket and replacement rear sway bar links which aren't included in the Rancho kit. Some TF springs have also been known to sag over time.

The AEV is designed to accommodate up to 35in tires. It includes a front track bar, and brake line extensions over the TF and Rancho kits. It also includes a rear track bar bracket which looks to be a stronger design than the Rancho.

So which will perform better really depends on what you're asking for in regards to performance. All three of them are from respected name brands. The AEV includes more of the essential components than all the others. The Rancho's shocks can be adjusted to your preference of on-road ride quality, the AEV can't but the shock valving has been tuned by AEV to better match their spring rates. The AEV included Bilstein shocks have been known to be stiff and are shorter lengths than other options which limits the amount of axle flex. Therefore the AEV may have a better on road ride quality but the Rancho and TF may have better performance off road.

You're currently making very generalized and vague statements. That is part of the problem, where you are going to get very generalize and vague responses in return. You might as well be just flipping a coin in the air to make your decision or picking the one which you think looks coolest.

I would suggest to start by reading the 1st 2 posts at the top of this forum. They should help provide you with more information so you can start making more informed questions instead of attempting to pick lifts based on name brands and the colors painted on the outside and asking others which they would buy since those others will have their own definition of priority in regards to performance.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...bie-has-18617/

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-09-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in this same boat now. I went with the Teraflex Budget Boost and now I'm looking at a new front trackbar, tie-rod, and drag link.

Last edited by Tactical_Geek; 05-09-2019 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

If you have extra weight, bumpers, skids, winch, etc., avoid the Teraflex. They are designed for stock weight Jeeps running soft tops, they will not give advertised height if you are heavier then stock. (According to the Teraflex rep I talked to on the phone (3 or 4 years ago when I first got mine), they even consider a full size spare or a hard top as additional weight). If you are planning on adding weight later, but are light now, then the Teraflex might be ok, as long as you go in expecting to have to replace your springs again as the Jeep gets heavier.

Speaking from personal experience.

My Jeep is about 800lbs over stock now, and at that weight, the 2.5 Teraflex springs were only about 1/2 in above stock in the front, and were actually about 1/2 below stock in the back. I have switched to Rock Krawler 2.5in 4-door springs on my 2door, and am currently sitting around 3 to 3.25 actual lift.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical_Geek
I'm in this same boat now. I went with the Teraflex Budget Boost and now I'm looking at a new front trackbar, tie-rod, and drag link.
Check out this link for an affordable TR and DL idea. Don't be scared off with the idea of "building" one. The vendor is drilling and tapping threads and everything, all you're doing is screwing in the TRE's.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ie-rod-346539/
Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know what your budget is, but for a complete kit in the lift range you are looking at, I would choose this one:
https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrang...x-edition.html

I have ran Metalcloak on both of my Rubicons, recommended them to friends, and helped with several other installs. That kit will address caster, track bars at both ends, bump stops, brake lines, longer end links, etc... I would still add HD ball joints and possibly an upgraded tie rod.

The few times that I have dealt with AEV or Teraflex, I have not been disappointed with their products either.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If we are in the running, don't forget to save some money with our rebate
Promotions

Quick Reply: AEV, Teraflex, or Rancho?