Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV Vs. Metal Cloak Vs. Other Lifts

Old 08-07-2017, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Vs. Metal Cloak Vs. Other Lifts

It's time for me to lift my jeep and I would really like to do it right the first time to save as much money as I can from upgrading in the future. I have a 2012 Jeep JKU with 35" tires, stock suspension, and flat style fenders. I would like to keep a low center of gravity so I'm concentrating mostly on 2.5" lifts right now. This is my daily driver and I plan to use it mostly for overlanding and some moderate offload use. My leading choice at the moment is the AEV Duel Sport Lift based on the reviews but I also really like the Metal Cloak lifts except for the $$$. I understand that the Metal Cloaks are a much more complete lift kit but for what I use it for at the moment I don't think I need all of that. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get the AEV now and then in the future get the Metal Cloak Game-Changer without shocks and combine the two using the Bilstein shocks. Anyway I would love to hear your opinions on what you all think would be best. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2017, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

I started with the AEV 3.5" lift and was extremely happy with it. Excellent on road handling and it would handle everything I threw at it off road. Unfortunately, I ended up bending my factory front axle housing, but it opened the door for further upgrades. I added a Dynatrac PR 44U axle housing which negated the need for the control arm brackets. I also added Rock Krawler control arms along with Synergy steering components. I was banging and grinding the control arm brackets and the LCAs pretty good. That's the major drawback with them. I don't think AEV's 2.5" kit includes them, but if a majority of your driving is on road, they really do work. I don't think you can go wrong with either kit.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

By all accounts, many people run AEV lifts and give them rave reviews. There are a couple things about the 2.5" lift to note. First, they don't include caster correction, so add another $105 for some geo brackets. Also, they use relocation brackets for the sway links rather than just including new sway bar links. I really don't get this at all.....I mean, how much more could it cost for some new sway links in that kit.

One thing to come to terms with right up front......if you want to do it right, and not be replacing things down the road, it's going to cost you up front. Realize that it’s probably going to cost you more in the end than you are planning. Even the MC 2.5” lift isn’t 100% complete. You’re likely going to need an adjustable track bar with that as the springs will most likely net you more than 2.5”. Even at 2.5”, you really should consider an adjustable TB with either kit.

If I was choosing between those two, I'd choose the MC kit and add an adjustable front TB and a raised rear TB bracket to it. The components in that kit will not need to be replaced, and if anything, it's a better base to build on if you ask me. Add shocks now or later, Add the remaining 6 controls arms later for the complete suspension, upgrade steering components and you're set. It might cost more, but I'd rather have that than all sorts of AEV brackets. If you go MC, they will run flash sales.....sometimes free shipping, sometimes 10% or what not.

Just food for thought:

I have a friend that bought a 3.5" AEV edition. Oh he loved it at first....the he started realizing that all that money he spent got a lot of brackets with factory components. I like to joke with him about his fancy AEV front track bar....aka the factory one, or his AEV high steer kit....that is just a factory RHD DL, or the great AEV geo brakets that he was constantly scraping on the rocks. Well, couple year later and he's pulled a lot of stuff off.....soon to pull off AEV bumpers as well, and has replaced with real components. I'm not say AEV isn't a good lift.....cuz lotta people love em, but for the price that they charge, you'd sure think you'd get better components that you wouldn't want to upgrade a year or two down the road.

On that MC lift, the only thing you'd be scrapping is the shock brackets if/when you use real shocks. you get quality bumps front and back, quality springs, quality front upper arms, 2 actual brake lines, and some new sway bar links. All of those items you'll have for years.

Last edited by resharp001; 08-08-2017 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MinorTrash (09-22-2022)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree the better base kit is the Rock-krawler and the better complete kit is the Metal-cloak. The RK can be upgraded easier as funds become available.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

I've got the same set up (2012 JKU w/ 35" tires) on a Teraflex 2.5 lift kit (coils). I use it for the same purposes you described. Instead of the teraflex shocks, I have the 5100 bilstein shocks.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with it. It is my DD, on-road it rides great (know that the bilstein shocks are said to be stiffer than most, I've only owned these shocks in two different vehicles). Off road experience is great as well, my jeep is definitely more capable than my driving skills as of yet. The price was just right ($700-800) compared to others. I replaced my track bar to an adjustable one. Besides that, all control arms are stock and other components. Perhaps you'd be able to justify the teraflex kit more than the others. Hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

I have the top of the line 3.5 inch AEV lift and it has been perfect. I have the same driving habits as you. It has exceeded my expectations. Handling is perfect and I run 35 inch Nitto trail Grappler and the alignment and wear has been exceptional. While the Metal Cloak will be more capable off road, the AEV will be perfect for your usage habits.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I feel like the only people that buy AEV stuff are people new to jeeps. It's literally overpriced brackets for factory components....cheaper to just buy rancho if you're going that route, which you shouldn't anyway.

With the exception of the front CA brackets, MC is better on road and off. the CA brackets will be better on road but a hassle off.

Get MC or something similar, don't waste youre money on AEV.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

If you are only going 2.5 springs, adjustable track bars, and upper control arms should be enough. Really don't see the need to drop the cash on a MC Gamechanger. However, the reason I run the MC 3.5 Gamechanger is because after pricing out the separate components from RK, Rancho, Evo, and other big name suspension makers the MC Gamechanger was cheaper and more complete. I have a couple guys in my group that run the MC 2.5 and love it, not the Gamechanger just one of the base lifts.

Quick Reply: AEV Vs. Metal Cloak Vs. Other Lifts