Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag didn’t go off - why?

Old 04-17-2019, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
That guy hit one of the spectators. They had to amputate part of her leg because of it.
Wow...that is definitely tragic and makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it.

Just looking at the pic, I'm really scratching my head wondering how all of that went down. The only thing I could figure is that he was driving too close along that edge and a front tire slipping off.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Wow...that is definitely tragic and makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it.

Just looking at the pic, I'm really scratching my head wondering how all of that went down. The only thing I could figure is that he was driving too close along that edge and a front tire slipping off.
From what I've seen, the JL was hung on a rock... he gave it too much gas and it came loose quicker than he expected. He ran through the crowd (injuring the woman) and right into that crevice.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya so a guy in one of my groups was there and he told us that he was getting aggravated and not listening to the spotters. He got hung up and gassed it to get off and it launched his jeep into the crowd hitting her and then going into the crevice. They had to airlift her out. Sucks that it happened, and for my disclaimer im not saying this is 100% true, just going off his Facebook post.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
From what I've seen, the JL was hung on a rock... he gave it too much gas and it came loose quicker than he expected. He ran through the crowd (injuring the woman) and right into that crevice.
I have a co-worker that managed to total a car in our parking garage. He came around a corner and there was a long pickup parked. it was early in the morning and it caught him off guard, and instead of hitting the brakes, hit hit the gas and had a total freak out moment. I have to think that something like that had to have happened in this situation, or that has the jeep came off it kinda bounced and by accident his foot laid on the accelerator again.

It is unfortunate turn of events for two peoples' lives, but it could have been even worse. If anyone sees it mentioned what obstacle on Golden Spike this happened by, I'd be curious to hear.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Picture in this link has a wider angle shot if you guys have not seen it yet -

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...10#post-657863

Different than I envisioned.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001

Thanks for that. From the original photo, I was convinced that was just an Axial RC because the guy behind the Jeep looks like a damn giant.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001

Same here. Based on the picture, my best assumption of what may have happened is that once he climbed over that rock, he launched over it out of control, likely saw he was headed at the bystander, cut hard left to avoid her, driver side tire dropped into into ridge which pulled the rest of the vehicle straight down into that ridge.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Havent seen that. ya would be interested to hear his side of the story. Thats a good ways to go.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedg
Man that’s a sad deal for sure and exactly what went through my mind when looking at the pic

Sometimes you just need to take a breath and calm down if you are in a bad situation.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If you guys are not following that thread on the JL site, appears the lady hit posed to FB -

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...11#post-658176

I suspect if anyone had video, it would be circulating by now, and the driver, rightfully so, is keeping mouth shut for liability reasons....although someone in that thread snapshotted proof they were monitoring that thread which is interesting.

OP, you still around? Any pictures or explanations of your mishap that started this thread? I presume nobody hurt since you posted it up.

Quick Reply: Airbag didn’t go off - why?