Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag didn’t go off - why?

Old 04-20-2019, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stood it on the bumper in a steep little waterfall on Gold Bar Rim. I’ve got a JK on 33” and 2 1/2” lift. If I had a JKU or LJ or even 35” tires I would have been fine.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My understanding of airbags and their associated sense/deploy mechanism is that it's purely based off accelerometer data. Don't pull enough G's and you won't get a deployment, simple as that.

Of course, I could always be wrong...
Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRubycon
My understanding of airbags and their associated sense/deploy mechanism is that it's purely based off accelerometer data. Don't pull enough G's and you won't get a deployment, simple as that.

Of course, I could always be wrong...
You are correct. There is one accelerometer by each headlight, and one in the center console. If the vehicle has side airbags, there is an accelerometer on each B-pillar.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag recall on jk?

Not sure i'm in the best spot for this but recently my airbag light has been coming on and then goes away. I looked it up.. it has a recall.. anyone done this?
Old 07-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by BCCBFarris
Not sure i'm in the best spot for this but recently my airbag light has been coming on and then goes away. I looked it up.. it has a recall.. anyone done this?
Yes, you need to make an appointment with a dealership and they will replace the airbag. It's a common well known recall. Google Takata airbag recall for more info.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If the airbag llight is going on and off, it's usualy the clockspring causing it. Have your VIN checked at your dealer and see if your model year is covered under the recall or extended clockspring warranty.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Hey Ben. We've had our differences, but in the future you're likely better starting a new thread so that more people see your issue and chime in. The problem with posting in an existing thread is that the only people that see your question are people subscribed to the thread unless someone randomly wanders in here. From the sub-forums, people only see the name and date of the last post, but not the actual comment in the post unless clicking on the thread. In this situation, there are good few regulars that have posted in this thread and are likely automatically "subscribed" to see future responses.....otherwise it would kinda be no-man's land.

As already mentioned, best coarse of action would be call the local dealer. If a previous owner hasn't already replaced under recall, they should set you up. If they did already replace under a recall, they'll be able to tell you and you'd likely be on your own dime to figure out the issue and repair.

Quick Reply: Airbag didn’t go off - why?