Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment specs for modified Jeep (if ever in Keene, don't use Cheshire Tire)

Old 09-13-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment specs for modified Jeep (if ever in Keene, don't use Cheshire Tire)

So I had my jeep aligned today after I installed the Rock Krawler Tie Rod this weekend. The shop where I had it aligned (Cheshire Tire) called me to say that they would have to charge extra because the tie rod could not be turned to adjust the toe. I knew this because the bar is angle forward to provide clearance for the Diff at full turn. He said it would take trial and error to get it right and that I would have to pay by the hour. I called them a few hours later and they said they had it close but because the tie rod has to be facing forward, they could not get the adjustment exact because they were limited to a full turn on one of the tie rod ends. They said the didn't feel comfortable letting the jeep go like that and wanted to order adjustable ball joints? I asked them what spec was on the toe and they said .1 degree in. I asked what my jeep was at and they said .2 degrees in. I said, what's the problem with that and they said that my tires were going to grind right off. Am I crazy or is Cheshire Tire crazy? When I said that it was fine, that I wasn't worried about a 10th of a degress they told me that it was a huge difference, probably like an inch off at the front of the tires. I was floored that people that call themselves professional could be so ignorant. I haven't done the math myself but I wouldn't think I would be off by anything more than millimeters. He went on about how far I would be off if I projected the 10th of a degree for a mile Does anyone think that this place has any validity to what they are saying?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

anyone know if .2 degrees toe in is acceptable?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, first off, your tierod is not angled. Your toe can be adjusted. My toe running 37x13.50 tires is .11 by alignment machine(or should I say was, got in a wreck) I had f'd around with the toe myself and was chewing up the tires at .65 toe in by alinement machine( that's a tad more than 1/2in) IMO .10-.20 is just about as good as u can get. that should put you at about 1/8in toe in, which is where u want to be. Alinement gurus please correct if I'm wrong.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

thanks for the input. my tie rod has two bend in it on each end to put the straight part of it out away from the diff. It's the rock krawler tie rod. it's angled out enough so that you can't spin it without it hitting the diff when you rotate it.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rockrawler Tierod, duhhr, thats what I get for drunk posting, either way, your toe should be alright set at that. Mine is, tires been wearing fine for 15,000m
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Rockrawler Tierod, duhhr, thats what I get for drunk posting, either way, your toe should be alright set at that. Mine is, tires been wearing fine for 15,000m
that's okay, i figured you missed that part. You've been helpful in the past. Hoping for a chime in from planman or Jpop, a couple of my JK infocons
Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

anyone figure out how degrees translate to inches toe in?

Quick Reply: Alignment specs for modified Jeep (if ever in Keene, don't use Cheshire Tire)