Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum 1/2 doors

Old 05-17-2017, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aluminum 1/2 doors

Looking for opinions on 1/2 doors.

JCR vs Savvy.

I have best top doors but want painted doors that's why I'm considering the switch.

Northridge 4x4
Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm sure that someone somewhere makes a decent set of aftermarket half doors, but I've not seen them yet. My advice is to save the money and buy the factory doors. Yes, they're outrageous, but nothing I've seen compares to them in fit, finish, or otherwise.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
I'm sure that someone somewhere makes a decent set of aftermarket half doors, but I've not seen them yet. My advice is to save the money and buy the factory doors. Yes, they're outrageous, but nothing I've seen compares to them in fit, finish, or otherwise.
If they were sold as a complete door I would agree, but they don't. You have to sit at the parts department ordering every component of the door separately. Dumbest thing ever!

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
Old 05-18-2017, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ReconJeep
If they were sold as a complete door I would agree, but they don't. You have to sit at the parts department ordering every component of the door separately. Dumbest thing ever!

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
Yeah, Harley does that kind of stuff too. The old days of buying something as an assembly are pretty much over. You have to enter every single component. Things like a saddlebag, that used to be a line item, are now close to 60. Great use of time. The parts guys HATE the new system. That, and Harley likes to redesign everything about every 5 years and nothing interchanges.

I'm thinking there are some aftermarket Jeep parts places that sell the doors as a complete kit. I was referring to the price tag as they're about $4K for the set for a JKU last time I looked when a buddy was trying to find some.

Quadratec has the full kit and they've come down a bit. You'd still be in the $4K range with paint:

Fronts: https://www.quadratec.com/products/55011_1100.htm

Rear: https://www.quadratec.com/products/55011_1001_07.htm

The only thing missing is the mirrors.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wrangeler X
Looking for opinions on 1/2 doors.

JCR vs Savvy.

I have best top doors but want painted doors that's why I'm considering the switch.

Northridge 4x4
I really like my JCR doors...Savys door latches line up but the use a cantilever type latch...JCR is right on the striker so they are not centered. savys doors are more flimsy where jcr is a thicker cut of aluminium...wish i could afford Mopar doors but JCR's are the next in line...hope this helps you decide
Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

So I have the Savvy half doors and I am really happy with them.
I also have the Bestop uppers too.
From what I have heard the Bestop and Rugged Ridge uppers pop right in these days, my half doors were a very first run on the "uppers" and weren't made for the Bestop upper, but a little drilling and they do fit.
I takes a bit to get everything lined up, but once dialed in smooth like butter.

Good luck in your choice, I went with a gloss black powder coat, BTW.
And don't those aftermarket chrome hinges just pop!!!!

Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been going back and forth on this as well -

Ended up going Savvy; with the sole reason being that they don't have the offset handles like JCR and Rugged ridge. I'm usually not OCD, but for some reason that really bugs me.

Just ordered them this week, should arrive early next week, then just need to track down some hydro blue pearl and dust off the spray gun.

If you can swing it, the Mopars are really the way to go... they give you the best odds of staying dry in a downpour or water crossing. I just couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of coin right now.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with either brand, we like the JCR because it uses the same kind of latches at the Bestop, which is easy to use and adjust.

There is no replacement for factory half doors though. They are expensive, but if you run them for a lot of the year with the half doors installed, they're at least worth considering. If you're going to just run with the windows out I don't know if it's worth the expense.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

My Savvy's are bout to go on for the summer
Old 05-19-2017, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Again, the take on this thread is the good ones are expensive, so buy ones that suck for less money instead of saving.

I suppose for you guys with all the seasons it's not that big of an issue as you only have to deal with them for a short time. I'm in Phoenix and have had the full doors on for about 3 months at the most, once. I have the uppers for the front and a divider to close off the front seats, which I used when I drove to Moab last Easter. I'm all half door all the time, so it makes sense. I have a hard time even looking at my Jeep with the full doors on and am considering selling them as I'll never use them.

Quick Reply: Aluminum 1/2 doors