Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I on the right track?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I on the right track?

The Jeep is a 2014 JKU Rubicon X Package with automatic transmission and 3.73 gearing. The X Packages (for those that might not know) include many of the same options as the 2013 10th Anniversary package (same hood, bumpers, rock rails, etc.) I installed a Rock Hard 4x4 engine/tranny skid plate and a Poison Spyder evap skid. Short of the Fumoto oil drain valve everything else is stock. This vehicle is my wife's daily driver but after attending a Jeep Jamboree we're fired up about doing more off-roading (mostly trails and rock crawling...NOT into mud runs).

We went to the Jeep Jamboree last October (at Superlift in Hot Springs, AR) where we had the opportunity to break those skid plates in rather well. It appeared to me that we did a good deal more dragging than the majority of the other Jeeps in our group. I attribute that to the extra weight we had in our Jeep. We had four people (two adults, a 13 year old, a 6 year old, and assorted extras) compared to the average two adults per Jeep. Adding insult to injury, one day we also had our luggage with us. To make things worse, I plan on adding MORE weight to this vehicle (winch, bigger spare tire, lights, etc.)

So what is the goal? Get the belly of the beast up off the ground. I would like some feedback to make sure that I’m headed in the right direction. I don't want to go overboard and spend too much on this project but at the same time I want to do things the right way without causing other issues.

So the plan is:
New wheels with 4.5” backspace
35” tires (looking at BFGoodrich KM2s, we really like the KMs that came on our Jeep but they aren’t available in a 35” tire.)
2.5” Metal Cloak Game-Changer Suspension, ARB Edition (formerly the Game-Changer Lite.)
Limit Straps (I need some help here.)

Why the Metal Cloak?
I could be wrong but the Game-Changer seems to be the most complete “bolt on” lift. Key word there is most, it’s still not complete. Keeping in mind my goal isn’t to increase flex (the stock suspension appears to work just fine for my needs) but literally lift the belly while at the same time being able to ensure that the geometry of the suspension is correct. What I feel is missing is maybe some steering geometry correction.

Limit Straps?
So I read and re-read TheDirtman’s post, “My thoughts on lifts” and the replies to that post (here as well as on another site) and that is where I got this idea from. I’m thinking that a limit strap at the differential in the front would prevent me from having to do a drive shaft upgrade/swap on a 2.5” lift.

My questions are:
Based on my goal to lift the belly is the Metal Cloak too much? Is there a better alternative out there that I should research?
What about the steering geometry on a 2.5” lift? Is it a concern? If so, what suggestions does everyone have for me to research?
What about the limit strap at the differential? Is that an inexpensive alternative to exhaust modifications and/or a drive shaft upgrade or will I be limiting the suspension negatively in other areas?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your headed in the general right direction. I have heard good things about Metal Cloak, but have not had any personal experience with their product. Howerver I do have the Rock Crawler 2.5 kit on my Rubicon and love it. RK has very quality stuff and their new triple rate coils ride great as well. You could go with their 2.5 flex kit and that will give you a very complete kit and your geometry should be good to go. As for the limiting straps I would not worry about this on a 4 door with 2.5 inches of lift. You should be fine on the exhaust clearance, but worst case you buy a new front driveshaft if it hits and call it a day.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Don't know a thing about Metal Cloak lifts, but looking at their page that is certainly a very comprehensive kit. For a price. I do a lot of the type of traveling that your describe (we call it overland or vehicle dependent expedition, VDE) and very few people use such "complete" packages. Honestly, there's a lot in that kit that you really don't need. I'd recommend, unless you just really have your heart set on spending that kind of money, that you take a serious look at the AEV 2.5" kit with control arm relocation brackets. I have helped install two of those kits, and it's a very nice one. I personally don't care for the Bilstein shocks that AEV offers because of the difficulty of getting the passenger side front shock in (it's not really that difficult, but they should have done a better job in designing it for the JK). And OME shocks just got the value award in the Overland Journal shock test, so you might still want to keep those. The two folks who are running that lift have not done anything about their driveshafts or exhaust line and have thus far had no problems. One lift was recently installed, but you can see the other one in action on this pretty demanding run up Blanca Peak last year. It's the white four door pulling the trailer. Bear in mind that the white one did the things you might see other Jeeps doing as well, even though I may not have selected video of it for this final product ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFjr3hSzEu4 And the silver four door in this video is our most recent AEV install. And, yes, that is also the white JK from the above video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkNU8d8w-c
Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Oh, and just a bit of advice: Ask most people on this forum how low to go on tire pressure and they'll tell you somewhere around 8-12, perhaps as high as 15. Overlanders go to about 18-20. Enough to improve ride comfort, but protect the tire sidewalls from damage during much longer trips than rock crawlers typically use. That there alone is also like going the next size larger on your tires!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

lift it all you want. your low point will still be your axel. bigger tires = more clearance.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have done your reasearch and made some great choices.
At superlift belly height helps alot. I ran most of the 3-4's with a 4 inch lift and 35s. Of course drive skill helps also.

As far as metalcloak, I have been running there arms for quite some time and they are still holdong up great.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the feedback gang. Those videos were impressive to say the least. I'll check into the AEV and Rock Crawler products a bit more. If anyone has further thoughts please let me know.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the MC ARB kit and love it. Both on and offroad. I did the exhaust spacer mod beforehand. It's cheap and easy and will keep your driveshaft away from the exhaust pipe.
We've hit a few winding pavement roads between trails in the mountains and their coils really kept us planted. It handles beautifully.
I haven't put too much weight on mine yet, so I can't comment on what height is retained with the 2.5" coils and added expedition weight. A swap to the 3.5" coils would be easy enough if needed.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

I love the ride of my MC lift with the OME shocks. Great on and off road handling. Their coils are the longest on the market paired with one of longest extended length and comfortable monotube shocks you can.

As for weight, I have an aftermarket front bumper and rear bumper with tire carrier and it sits pretty straight. I've added about 600 pound to the trunk area carrying pellets and it only dropped about 1".

Quick Reply: Am I on the right track?