Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another lift question (Yes, I read the two stickies about lifts plus many more)

Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another lift question (Yes, I read the two stickies about lifts plus many more)

I have a '15 JKUR with winch bumper and winch in front and rear bumper with swing away tire carrier. After I installed the front bumper and winch I had so much sag in the front end that I installed a 1" coil spacer which brought me back to the stock height/rake. The rear didn't seem to settle at all. I absolutely hate the rake look, I want it leveled with no more than 2" of lift. I'm not looking to run 35's ever so I don't need much. The main reason I want to lift it so I can run chains. I pull a little trailer and where I'm moving is chains required when pulling. this means installed, not just carrying. Oh and of course it looks better a little higher. My issue is figuring out what I need. Most budget kits don't come with 3 1/2" pucks for the fronts and 2" for the backs. I don't know enough about the coils, from what I've read, guys are buying a 2 1/2" coil lift and ending up with 3 -4 inches of lift. I don't want that. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not go for a high quality leveling kit with springs built to hold the weight?

Couple companies out there making these usually under 2" total lift but with good springs, not pucks.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The way it's typically done is that you add a lift which includes springs which are heavier duty, thus are more suited for your heavy bumper loads. If there is rake you don't like, then you add a 1-1.5in spacer on top of the springs to level things out to your liking.

It seems like you're starting with a puck lift and trying to level things out from there. I don't think you have much you can do with that aside from replacing pucks with a different height one.

A 1.5in lift or leveling kit which includes springs is what you may need. Most of the lifts will give you about 1in additional height to their advertised lift amount. Then with bumpers and winch additions it will bring the total lift back down to the advertised amount.

I installed a Mopar 2in lift. With stock bumpers I got 3 1/4" of lift in the front and 2 3/4" in the rear. Then I added an AEV front bumper, winch, etc and now I have about 2.5in of lift in the front. So I lost 3/4in with the added weight in the front.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-26-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Synthetic line for the winch will lighten up the front and will be safer then steel line. Switch to an aluminum bumper?

The JKS ACOS is a coil over lift that will allow you do adjust the height to your liking. Expensive but are high quality made in the USA and work well.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed a 2.5" Rubicon express lift, the 4" of lift I got on the front end was with the winch and bumper installed. My stock springs were pretty compressed with all the weight out front. It brought me to a little over 2.5" higher than stock. I ended up exchanging my rear springs for a 2.5" 4 door spring set because of the extra weight in the back to bring it back to level. I wanted the 2.5" because I planned to upgrade to 35s down the road (which I since have).

Teraflex does offer a 1.5" spring lift for situations like yours, I would check it out as well. You can mix and match with the Daystar pucks as they do sell front and rear separately if you want to just go the spacer route.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not really decided about pucks or coils yet. Pucks are much cheaper and if I change my mind later about how high I want to go then I'm not out that much money. However I feel springs are really the right way to go. My concerns with this is I have no idea how much lift I'll get. For example I'm seeing that people buy a 2.5" and end up with 4" of lift. I don't want that right now. I'm also nervous about getting the coil leveling kit and finding out I have to put my puck back in to make it level. Did I say I hate the rake look? I haven't bought anything yet, I had the 1" pucks laying around from when I had my 07, it had 3.5" of lift, which was too much for me, with factory bumpers front and back. I should also throw out that I am very cheap. I don't want to spend very much. Plus since I'm moving, I'll probably have to have someone install it for me. Les Schwab has a 2.5" puck kit installed for less than $400 and that includes alignment. I think that's a great price but if I end up with a lot of rake I won't be happy. I am really leaning towards coils and I don't want to use any pucks at all plus I am out of time to install it myself all equals $$$ I don't want to spend, especially with the unknown costs of moving coming up (plus 2 house payments until my current home sells). All that being said, if I have to install chains on the way out there (since I'm pulling a trailer) how much damage am I going to cause with the lack of clearance? Thanks again, I could ramble on for hours so I'm stopping right now.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into the "1.5"" Metalcloak Urban Assault lift.
It's 2.5" 2 door springs for your 4door with bracketry to handle some of the other issues associated with lifting(brake lines/caster). I've had mine coming up close to a year and I'm happy with it. I netted 2.25 on stock weight and am probably sitting closer to 2 inches now with front bumper armor and all my gear. It's a good first step if you are undecided on final height and the ride quality is great on and off-road.

Now that I have more weight I'm probably going to move up into proper 2.5" 4dr coils and add trac bars but for now I'm extremely satisfied
Old 01-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

$400 for the 2" puck kit and an alignment is a bad deal every day of the week since all they're adjusting is your steering wheel.

You're on a budget so check out eBay for coils. I bought a set of RK fronts with some miles on them and they set me right at 2.5" though it doesn't feel like it. The tape measure doesn't lie so I can't argue. Stacking spacers will give you that dialed in height but at the expense of ride quality if you're honestly looking at a 3" spacer.

Another option you may want to look into (as a cheap/ not as adjustable as the JKS ACOS) would be the aluminum stacking spacers for the front coils. They'll allow you 3 different heights out of the one kit.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard good things about Metalcloak, I just may go with them. Everything is on hold now, I leave this week for my new job, my wife will be following in a couple of weeks. Haven't found a place to stay yet (hotel, here I come). Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: Another lift question (Yes, I read the two stickies about lifts plus many more)