Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone building their own bumpers?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone building their own bumpers?

I want new bumpers but they are straight up overpriced. I have the ability, materials, and tooling but lack the creativity. has anyone fabbed their own bumpers? tips, tricks, pics, and thoughts
Old 03-31-2015, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more, bolt on is nice but how do you choose between all those designs? I always want to fine tune so starting from scratch means you'll have the know how to be able to make the changes later. I have a few pointers that will help you not make the same mistakes I did.

Get a welding blanket, they have cheap ones at Hazard Fright. Getting splatter where you don't want it can be avoided, splatter melts glass, so I found out. If your not sure of your welding, go to u-tube and search for "mig welding course", there's a teacher at a university that has uploaded different levels of welding classes, pay attention especially to weld pool, that's the key to tough welds. A good self darkening hood will make things easier for you, and use flood lights so you can see what your doing.

Experiment with designs using cardboard, once you get something you like you take it apart and trace it onto some 3/16" plate. Use 1/4" where you mount a winch, and only use grade 8 bolts to attach a bumper. Cut up the plate with a good 4-1/2" grinder, something that can stand up to continuous use, it's a lot cheaper than a plasma cutter.

I made this rear bumper for my Nissan, it holds fuel, water an ice chest and a Hi-Lift jack. There are web sites that sells fabrication parts, find them and start saving money.

I found the attached plans on a similar forum, it's what I'm going to use to get started. I just sold the Nissan and ordered 2015 JK Willy's Wheeler, still have four weeks for delivery but I'm already collecting parts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	604250   Click image for larger version

Views:	94
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	604251   Click image for larger version

Views:	87
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	604252  

Quick Reply: Is anyone building their own bumpers?