Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know...

Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
The best looking rigs I see tend to be 2.5" lift, 37's and flat fenders. I run 37's on a 2dr at 3.5" with flats and could easily run 2.5" and be happier. What are you looking to get out of the 3.5" vs the 2.5" besides the number itself?

Maybe nothing. 2.5 seems fine. I get the real look from the tire size as long as there is clearance for them. I run with flat fenders and 31's stock now and about to level it out until I can get the lift I want/need. I really do want the 37's but man IDK if I want to tackle that beast just yet.

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
This is a good read... courtesy of Planman

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...8/#post3375491

Thanks. This will be a big help.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Think flat fenders and leave the lift alone. Will give you plenty of room for 37's and a 2.5" lift and a better ride.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

What about just adding a body lift to the 2.5in lift you already have? That wouldn't impact the DS, and then gain you extra fender clearance. Am I right, or am I overlooking something?

If I ever decide to go to 37's, that's what I was thinking would be my approach to get some additional clearance on top of my 2in lift.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to throw a couple of cents into this.

You can get by with relatively little to make a 35" tire work well. With a 37" it's a whole different ballgame. Anything more than a 35" tire on a JK and you're at a tipping point. It's less about ride height than it is about the entire philosophy of the vehicle: axles, gears, driveshafts, steering, tire clearances, brakes, wheel bearings, ect are suddenly an issue with a 37" tire. It's simply more than the "quarter ton" drive train of the JK is able to handle well.

Sure, you can make it work, but if you're on a slim budget I would wait and save up to do a Jeep on 37s the right way. It's not that you have to ditch the whole thing and go to coilovers and Pro Rocks, but you'll want to address a little of everything to make it right.

A JK that is excellent on 35s can suddenly become a giant turd on wheels when larger tires are added. I acknowledge that we have really high standards, we see A LOT of JKs, and we know what they are like on a 37 or a even a 40 done properly, vs a 37s that's slapped together.

Obviously do what makes you happy, but I would urge caution when trying to find a cheap way to throw a 37" tire on a JK.

Quick Reply: Anyone know...