Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know why Goodyear has a tire shortage?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know why Goodyear has a tire shortage?

Ok...so I was finally ready to pull the trigger on some 35's. My budget was only going to allow me to get either the Fierce Attitude 35x12.50R17's or the Kelly Safari TSR 315/70R17's and guess what...none available. In fact, the lady at the Goodyear store checked their nationwide distribution center and guess what...not a single tire of either type in the whole United States, shows both of them on back order...crap!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just got a new set of 35 inch mtr's from discount tire and had them in 3 days so must not be all Goodyear tires
Old 05-27-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

I checked around last week when I ordered my 35's, Goodyear MT/R's were in good supply at discounttiresdirect.com, but a lot of places were out with no ETA. Check with them, they have decent prices, and the tires arrived in 2 working days.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is low stock of a lot of their tires right now. Priority is being given to the dealers they have the biggest contracts with. 4wheelparts can't get MTRks right now in a 35 12.5 17 but Tire Rack and Discount have them out the wazoo. Even the local good year dealer said they'd have to get them from tire rack and not Goodyear.

It was explained to me a wile back why the manufacturers run so low on tires some times, but I either didn't believe the persons that told me or didn't care enough to retain the knowledge lol!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

This always seems to happen around summer time
Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Those 2 tires are also on the lower price range so there are 2 components to the issue:

They sell quicker because of the affordability

Goodyear is prioritizing the higher ticket tires

Also, have you noticed the off-road tires are the trend now? Not only with jeeps but but trucks seem to be more popular then ever.... Damn duck dynasty
Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatalis
... Goodyear store checked their nationwide distribution center and guess what...not a single tire of either type in the whole United States, shows both of them on back order...crap!!!
First, that doesn't mean no on in the U.S. has the tires. That means no Goodyear dealer or Goodyear warehouse has them. There are likely other vendors that have some stashed in the corner somewhere.

And, to answer your actual question, the reason Goodyear has tires going backorder is because of JIT manufacturing--Just In Time. They don't want to pay money for parts sitting in warehouses, so they manufacture them only as they can be sold. Sometimes their estimates are off. Don't blame Goodyear (or any other manufacturer for that matter), BTW. It's our fault. That is, the fault of people who want the absolute best price, but don't realize that tying money up for parts in warehouses costs money. That cost is passed on to the consumer, who is looking for the cheapest price. If you want better and more prompt service, expect to pay more for it.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

I tried to get the Fierce tires - No Go. Then I tried Hankook MT - No Go. They try not to keep too much in the warehouse. We do the same thing where I work. Lay offs and shorter work week to save money. Then when orders come in it is balls to the wall, for a week or two with a lot of temps. Then it is back to the same stuff.
Investors, and the global economy are causing most of these issues. If we made everything in America, prices would be much higher.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a thought, not sure if it relates to the Goodyear shortage, but oil companies are causing freight backups on railways right now and have been for the better part of a year. The reason being, when oil production is high, like it is right now, especially from domestic sources, they pay the highest rates to railroads to carry oil for them. Meanwhile, everything else- Cars, consumer products, UPS shipments, etc sit on the ground / stay in port while oil ships. If Goodyear is using rail freight to ship mass quantities of tires, larger distribution centers may not be able to get supply simply because an order is waiting for freight capacity on a railway.

Like I said, might not be the cause, but could be something holding up the supply.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
First, that doesn't mean no on in the U.S. has the tires. That means no Goodyear dealer or Goodyear warehouse has them. There are likely other vendors that have some stashed in the corner somewhere.
Mr. Doiron...I'm tracking, its just that Discount Tire Direct shows them back ordered so I figured surely GY themselves would have them, went and got myself a GY cc to purchase them only to find they are out as well, guess I should have done a little better on the recon beforehand...

Quick Reply: Anyone know why Goodyear has a tire shortage?