Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in PA running on 40s?

Old 03-04-2019, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, it’s almost done. Way over budget of course. For those following, the factory tie rod and drag link did, in fact work. The ultimate 60s seem perfectly set up for 3.5-4.5 lift. Can’t even use a drag link flip. Had to go back to stock.

the guys at Jeff Daniels ended up cutting some metal flares and welding in an extra 4 inches. Rear wheels are fully covered. Front wheels, almost. Here are some teaser pics.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update

So, to all the haters saying my jeep would turn into an unruly, hard to live with, miserable beast- I don’t know what you’re talking about.

yes, I went from getting 275 miles a tank to 225-250. No, I’m not out accelerating any Ferrari’s. With the 5.38s I’m not really any slower than I was with 35s and stock 3.73s. I’ve had it over 90 briefly, and it wasn’t any more scary than it used to be. In fact, I’ve only really noticed two issues: I went from about 6’2 to a little over 6’6, so now I don’t clear at the garage I park at, and the turning radius has increased substantially. The result- I had to pay extra at the garage for a reserved spot, and u turns suck a little.

im going back to the shop this weekend to have everything re-torqued because I already have more than 600 miles, and we will check the steering to see if there is a clearance issue that I’m not seeing or a way we can improve it. Basically, I need 3.5 lanes to make a u turn in one shot. It doesn’t affect driving at all until you get in a tight parking lot or need to turn around.

I’m hugely impressed with the tires. They are almost as quiet and smooth as stock, and handle well on the road. Off road? I haven’t found anything to stop them yet. Dirt, sand, mud, water- walks right through. I haven’t had them on rocks or snow yet, but so far I’m blown away by these tires (milestar Patagonia, 40x13.5x17, if I didn’t mention above).

the brakes on the d60 stop really well, but the pedal feel is really soft. It takes getting used to, but once you realize they stop a whole lot better than they feel, they inspire confidence. I did the booster kit at the time of install, and stainless lines.

the d60s and Eaton lockers make this thing an absolute beast off road. I was out with a bunch of guys in all kinds of rigs, and stuff they were struggling with I just walked right through. I went through about 60 yards of deep, sticky mud that I was sure I was going to have to winch out of with minimal wheel spin. Only one other guy in the group was even willing to try it, and he got through with a lot of speed and liberal use of the skinny pedal.

one last issue- I’m now wide for a jeep and rubbed my flares on a tree or two getting down some narrow trails. A couple of F150s had to turn back, so I don’t feel too bad about it.

honestly, if you have the budget, I would totally recommend 40s on a JK with the Dana ultimate 60s. But get it done right.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Who on here hated on your thread? I read the whole thing again and see nothing.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Hater's on your thread?

If anything, it looks that you got good information that pointed you in the right direction which resulted in you being pleased with what you purchased.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

You are correct. No haters on this thread. But read every other thread about going to 40s. . . It seems I got lucky and only got useful responses.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Turning radius has improved. Turns out the steering stops weren’t properly adjusted. Easy fix. Now it turns like normal.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have UD 60's (with ARBs) on my 16 JKU with a OME JK4 BP51 kit. I have 39x13.5 KM3s on 17x8.5 TrailReady beadlocks with 5" back spacing. The combination drives really well but not as well as it did with the 37's (also KM3). You can tell the tires are heavy. With the Dana recommended booster and master cylinder it stops incredibly well. So much better than even bone stock. No soft pedal here.

The bigger tires are a great option but you have to be ready to Jeep....just empty....
Old 04-12-2019, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Your not having any clearance issues in front with 5” backspace? I’d really love to drop to 4.5 from 3.5. It would give me a whole lot more wheel options. I have yet to need to air down the Patagonias to get through anything, so I’m not sure I need beadlocks. And I sure would love to save some weight with an alloy wheel.

can you give me a link or part number for the master cylinder/booster? I think the guys at the shop used something from terraflex and not gm. My pedal is still softer than I like.

does your parking brake work decently? If so, did you do anything other than attach the cable? Mine has always sucked. It’s not any worse now, but it’s barely functional.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The recommended booster and master cyl kit is under part # OE-p5160050

I don't have any clearance issues at all with the 5" backspacing. The only thing I had to do was make sure the wheel balancing weights were in far enough to clear the caliper.

The parking brake adjustment slot is covered by a bracket. You have to adjust the parking brake when you assemble the rear hub assembly.

Quick Reply: Anyone in PA running on 40s?