Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run stock looking JK with lockers + anti-rock swaybars

Old 02-14-2018, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone run stock looking JK with lockers + anti-rock swaybars

Hi All,
I currently own a 2 door and wife drives the 4 door. My 2 door looks stock with its 29in tall x 9 in wide (commute with it so enjoy the 22~23MPG's). The Wife's since she works down the road has 32 KM2's, rock sliders, LED bars, horrible on gas but looks like most modded JK's.

I love the factory look. Simple and functional reminds me of an old Defender with pizza cutter.

I still want my JK to perform a bit better. Are there JK's with stock wheels/tires but with E-lockers, swaybar upgrades, and perhaps 30~31inch AT/MT tires? Was thinking some AT 235/85 R16 on stock 16 rims

Seems like every JK modded out there is over the top. Nothing simple like an old Defender on pizza cutter tires.

Anyone drive such a JK?

Last edited by bigchelis; 02-14-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bigchelis

It is our hope to create a systematic upgrade for our 2017 unlimited using better than normal stock components on our jeep. Nothing over the top as you say. Not going to be using lockers, but everything else wouldn't be taken off the table until we reach that point.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock Rubicon’s (atleast 2010 like mine) come with lockers and what measures out to be a 31” tire. They have an electronic disconnect sway bar instead of the anti-rock.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You need to explain "perform". Tires and lockers make a big difference off road so does gearing. The anti rock may help you flex a bit more off road depending on how you are set up but tends to give you more body roll on road during cornering. A stock rubicon model gives you what you are asking like kevinlee said. It may also have better gearing for bigger tires and have a lower gear ratio in the transfer case for better off road performance. The big thing is cost, adding lockers to a sport is costly ($3k) and the anti rock is expensive at $500 and you can get better on road performance and off by using manual disconnects for around $125. The "JK crowd" is more concerned with looks then performance and dump loads of money on anything you can bolt on and don't like to spend money on stuff you can't see. Too many Sema and manufacturers builds out there that get people wanting that look.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking in cars we have sleepers that look slow and can be fast

with JK aftermarket it’s easier to be all show with little regard to performance off road although big tires and lift do help a lot.

just curious if there Rubicon like JKs that look like a simple X or sport model with 30 inch wheels. Kinda like idea of going to off road park with stock looking JK and out performing crazy looking upgraded JKs and having people wonder how !!
Old 02-14-2018, 04:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I have seen some remove the sticker from the hood as well as all the other badges.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Consider the 'Rubicon' upgrades previously noted. Even if you add selectable lockers, you will still have a D30 instead of a rubicon D44, so much weaker gears up front. Your transfer case has a ratio of 2.72:1 instead of the rubicon 4:1. Both of your axles will have slightly weaker axle shafts. And for the gear ratio, 3.21 or 3.73, while Rubicons can have 4.10 from the factory. Many people build their non-rubicon JK's to be equal or better than a stock rubicon, it just depends on how much you are willing to invest.

And I guess another thought might be the driver. Someone who has never been offroad, even though they have a shiny new rubicon, could easily be left in the dust by a stock non-rubicon with a more experienced driver.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigchelis
I was thinking in cars we have sleepers that look slow and can be fast

with JK aftermarket it’s easier to be all show with little regard to performance off road although big tires and lift do help a lot.

just curious if there Rubicon like JKs that look like a simple X or sport model with 30 inch wheels. Kinda like idea of going to off road park with stock looking JK and out performing crazy looking upgraded JKs and having people wonder how !!
That's an easy one. I see it almost every trail ride I go on. The factor is the driver. Become a good driver, use lockers, and you'll make most people on 37s look stupid.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by bigchelis
IMO, going to an offroad park to impress other people is senseless. It should be more like golf....it's really just you against yourself, and trying to improve your own driving abilities. I couldn't care less what others think of my jeep on or off road, and honestly prefer to not have others watching to see what I can or can not do. But, I also couldn't care less to stand around and watch strangers doing this or that.

I'm sure that's not really how you meant that comment, but I'll say it anyway. In all honesty, if you have a sport/saraha and are striving for what you described, you're better off just trading in and getting a rubicon, cuz it's gonna cost you more to build a rubicon....and that is pretty much what you've described. A stock rubi can do quite a bit off road. You'd be limited by clearance issues regardless if you build something or swap to a rubi.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Having been out on the trails with the big boys in a stock Rubicon, I can tell you it performs admirably. I can also tell you that you will mangle your frame rails, sliders, control arm mounts and skids at stock ride height on stock Rubicon tires. There's fun in that for sure, but you're inherently limited compared to the same jeep with better clearances achieved through larger tires and taller ride height. I've been through the stock suspension/tires, stock suspension on 35s, stock suspension on 37s (don't bother with that one unless you're sawzall happy), 2.5" lift on 35s and 2.5" lift on 37s. Every increase makes the trails easier. What was a challenge stock, I just drive through now to get to the next thing. It's all relative. Unfortunately the things you want to retain for that sleeper look (ride height and tire size) are the things that increase your clearances and make your vehicle more capable. I'm not knocking going out with a stock Jeep at all though, load up on underbody protection, ditch your bumpers and go hang with the big jeeps.

Quick Reply: Anyone run stock looking JK with lockers + anti-rock swaybars