Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone touch up their oem front bumper with paint?

Old 05-12-2019, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone touch up their oem front bumper with paint?

I just got a new oem bumper and it has a couple small scuffs that bug me. I am curious what others have used to touch the dings up.

Type of dark grey matte back paint?
Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Would be helpful -- is this a Sport with texture?? If Sport I used a black Sharpie on my 2013.. was much better, still okay 4 years now. Textured will not paint well. There are products to restore the black on the textured body parts.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could mask it or take it off and spray the whole thing with bed liner.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkdailey4
You could mask it or take it off and spray the whole thing with bed liner.

Textered

Old 05-14-2019, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Scrub it with a good brush and simple green, rinse well, then use Penetrol. Use a foam brush to apply it, don't get any on paint. Then buff it off with a microfiber. The bumper will look like new.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ghost JK
Scrub it with a good brush and simple green, rinse well, then use Penetrol. Use a foam brush to apply it, don't get any on paint. Then buff it off with a microfiber. The bumper will look like new.
Thats interesting. How does it work?

it seems like the plastic is almost painted, but it’s not. That’s why I don’t get how there is little white/cream color nicks or dings
Old 05-14-2019, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

You dab/ spread it on the plastic with a foam brush. Let it sit for a little while, maybe 10-20 minutes, then buff it off with a microfiber cloth. You need to do it on clean plastic, and it looks like new when done.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost JK
You dab/ spread it on the plastic with a foam brush. Let it sit for a little while, maybe 10-20 minutes, then buff it off with a microfiber cloth. You need to do it on clean plastic, and it looks like new when done.
How is that stuff at repelling dirt from the plastic? Does it make it easier to clean dirt off? I get so tired of cleaning all my interior trim pieces after wheelin' trips. Usually I just don't cuz as soon as I do.....guaranteed someone else will hit me up to go out on another trip. So, get old mud and dirt built up on things like the plastic door surrounds and b-pillar trim. Wondering if maybe I should think about using Penetrol on those if it makes em easier to clean. Once that old mud sits on the plastic a bit, it is so hard to get the "stains" off.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't used it on the interior since I've kep that 303'd since new and don't have it topless unless I"m actually driving. 303 is a dust magnet on that stuff anyway. ON the outside pieces it's been pretty decent. I use simple green and a scrub brush on the bumpers and fenders to get the mud off, the penetrol is pretty good at beading up water so the dirt comes off the bumpers easily.
The following users liked this post:
resharp001 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

@Rednroll - do you have an opinion on using Penetrol on interior plastic trim?

Quick Reply: Anyone touch up their oem front bumper with paint?