Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

arb snorkel ,,already out? they say

Old 01-11-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arb snorkel ,,already out? they say

there is a post on aussi jeep saying that arb snorkel is already out.
can someone verify this?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by luisjg
there is a post on aussi jeep saying that arb snorkel is already out.
can someone verify this?
Jim Jackson from ARB USA just informed me a few days ago that "It is still 3-4 months away."

I also asked about their plan for the airbox and battery compartments and was told "The snorkel is a priority and is in development, but as Safari is not our company we do not have a great deal of input into that development. Further, unfortunately Safari only builds their snorkels for use with the factory airbox and they will not change that policy. Finally, adding items such as an extra battery box and replacement air box creates significant problems when dealing with left and right hand drive vehicles in different markets around the world as the underhood packaging is altered depending on the configuration. The goal with development is to make it fit as many of those combinations as possible (Snorkels are sold in over 100 countries) without modifications or problems. Trying to attain that goal takes time with testing and fitting (including airflow testing and dyno testing), but results in the high quality kit and product developed in the end that performs as expected."

js.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anybody know if the ARB utilizes the stock air filter or do they make u upgrade to a cold air intake? Bubba
Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a very interesting question you just raised. I have been talking to ARB in their head quaters. The SAFARI snorkel only utilize the factory OEM air box.

All of us who have spent couple of hundred bucks on cold air intake systems will have to think twice before upgrading to snorkel. Because you will loose all that extra power which you were gaining through cold intakes. But on the other hand you will secure your engine by restricting any water going into.

Snorkel is best for people who drive in wet areas, bushes , water crossings mud trail etc but if you guys which most of you are in purely rock climbing dont need it.

Its just purely my opinion i may be completely wrong

Originally Posted by fourwheelingbigbubba
Does anybody know if the ARB utilizes the stock air filter or do they make u upgrade to a cold air intake? Bubba
Old 01-11-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

"All that extra power" is because a colder charge of air is denser, and contains more oxygen for combustion.

The CLEAN air intakes you installed, that were Mistakingly CALLED cold air intakes, still drew the air from under the hood, where, btw, the air is not that cold compared to say, outside the hood. IE: A Shield between the filter and the engine doesn't make the intake air that much colder than the stock air box's intake was....if at all.

The COLDEST intake air will be from the outside of the truck, say, through a snorkel.

As another benefit, instead of hydrolocking your truck going slowly through 1' of water with an open element filter, as the poster in the thread above here did for example, you get DRIER air too, without all those fish and algae clogging up your engine.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TEEJ
"All that extra power" is because a colder charge of air is denser, and contains more oxygen for combustion.

The CLEAN air intakes you installed, that were Mistakingly CALLED cold air intakes, still drew the air from under the hood, where, btw, the air is not that cold compared to say, outside the hood. IE: A Shield between the filter and the engine doesn't make the intake air that much colder than the stock air box's intake was....if at all.

The COLDEST intake air will be from the outside of the truck, say, through a snorkel.

As another benefit, instead of hydrolocking your truck going slowly through 1' of water with an open element filter, as the poster in the thread above here did for example, you get DRIER air too, without all those fish and algae clogging up your engine.

The other thing to consider too, is that a snorkel gives you much cleaner air in dry climates where trails are very dusty.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Default river riaders

we all know i have it and have put it through the test great snorkel great company!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another thing about "all the extra power".....

in order to really gain a significant amount, you need to address the air exiting the Jeep (read exhaust) as well.

I had a snorkel on my '03 Rubi for peace of mind. no power increase from the colder air outside the engine compartment. I also agree with the statement above. Those underhood kits that give you a shield may lower the air temp slightly but by no means as much as an external air source.

Quick Reply: arb snorkel ,,already out? they say