Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans Cooler Line Repair options??

Old 01-13-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Trans Cooler Line Repair options??

So I start up my 09 JKUR this morning and its been cold/snowing. Well the slightly weeping transmission cooler lines behind the radiator are now dripping. 2 years/11K miles ago I put in the B&M cooler mod and temps have been low, so that has been good. My Jeep only has 37K on it... Climbing these hills in Colorado, I needed that trans cooler, but now it screwed me. The local dealer said that I was covered with the TSB on leaking transmission lines for my jeep, but since I have that aftermarket cooler...no dice.

Dealer quote to fix the lines = 485.11
Local transmission show says they only replace OEM lines.
Local 4x4 shop says they can flare the end of the stock hard lines and use a good aftermarket hose and clamp to connect the two hard lines. That should be 100-200 bucks and sounds like the best option.
Stock lines are only 109 bucks at Quadratec and I can replace them myself, but I'd rather not loose my trans cooler. The stock cooler is super pricey.

What other options might I have? I've read that people have replaced factory lines 2-3 times in some cases and sometimes the replacements work fine.

If you have a good aftermarket set-up, I'm all ears.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by demtek9
Local 4x4 shop says they can flare the end of the stock hard lines and use a good aftermarket hose and clamp to connect the two hard lines. That should be 100-200 bucks and sounds like the best option.
I would go this route.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I don't know if it has changed, but the notice I got in the mail way back when said that the dealership would repair under warranty - or - if I had already had this fixed, Chrysler would reimburse me. I sent the receipt from a local shop and they sent a check. May be worth looking into.

but I'd rather not loose my trans cooler. The stock cooler is super pricey.
The stock cooler is just the lower part of the radiator itself, isn't it? You need the aftermarket, so do whatever you need to do to keep it...
Old 01-13-2015, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

This is what I'm doing to my OEM lines. I have the parts for the flexible portion, but haven't needed to put it together, yet.
By the way, when I purchased new OEM cooler lines for this project, they were only about $30.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AN Fittings on Cooler Lines.JPG
Views:	728
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	676357  

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-10-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

I like the look of those replacement parts for the hard line. Some nice screw in fittings would be great but I'll have to search for a shop to set something like that up. The stock lines have rubber hosed crimped with aluminum caps. The whole kit is on quadratec for 109. I'll post a link when I get back to my computer.

It sucks having something simple yet complicated issue take your jeep down. Maybe I'll buy the new part, have it "fixed" with better fittings offline and then swap the parts in myself and ask for reimbursement.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

This is the link: Jeep Wrangler JK Automatic Transmission Oil Cooling Parts - Quadratec

Line number 1 is the part and the leaks are near the factory crimp areas (circled). The line has a splice in it where the aftermarket cooler goes (x marks the spot).

I used a write up on this form, but just found another person that said the stock fittings will leak after a while.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...nstall-172958/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	713
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	591805  
Old 01-13-2015, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I cut my steel lines and installed braided steel AN lines with compression fittings. Did this 3 years ago, no problems.

But a good transmission repair shop should be able to re-do the line no problem.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by horrocks007
I cut my steel lines and installed braided steel AN lines with compression fittings. Did this 3 years ago, no problems.

But a good transmission repair shop should be able to re-do the line no problem.
Do you mind snapping a pic to show local shops what I want?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had another baby with my wife yesterday, so I might not get to the picture anytime soon.

But:Here is what I ordered from summit racing to do the repair. Make sure you cut the braided line perfectly. Tape it really well to keep it from fraying, and I found using an angle grinder to cut the braided hose gave it the cleanest cut. Here is what I ordered from Summit racing, but the lube was a waist, don't bother with that: Part Number Part Description QTY Tracking Number Carrier: Est. Arrival SUM-2200077B -6-3/8 MALE HARDTUBE FIT BLACK 2 UPS: 3-4 bus. days SUM-220690B -6 STRAIGHT BLACK HOSE END 2 UPS: 3-4 bus. days EAR-184004ERL ASSEMBLY LUBE 1 UPS: 3-4 bus. days SUM-G1001 18 INCH AUTO FLEX #6 HOSE 1
Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dabbing silicon on those connections fixed it for me.

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Cooler Line Repair options??