Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans won’t Manually Shift. 2012

Old 11-01-2017, 12:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Surely you're not building your 14b with 3.73 gearing, so you're gonna need to have a programmer at some point along the line. You may as well elevate that front axle and count the tire/DS revolutions as you turn one or the other and determine which gears are in there. It sounds mainly like a gearing issue and that they are not 3.73 after all......but should be easy to confirm one way or the other. If they are not the same as your stock gearing was, I'd just get programmer (that you'll prob need eventually anyhow) and program for those gears.....drive it for now and build your replacement axles.
I am building with 5.13 ratio. Thats why I don't want to have to throw the 14 b in half ass built without the shaft or locker or wheels I wanted, and then have to regear the front end to match until I get a front 60 built.

If I wanted to regear the stock axles I never would've bought two more stock axles I would've just redone my original ones.

Driving with 37s on 3.21 will be absolutely miserable.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kejtar
Ok, this sounds off..... stock tires are IIRC 225 75 16 which is 30". Going to 37's would require reprogramming as your wheel revs would have been off triggering limp mode. So either someone programmed the tires the first time around or you would have had issues from the get go as 30 to 37 (or even if yours came with 32's 32 to 37) is a huge jump that the computer would choke on.
Nope, the jeep was stock with low miles when I got it, stock tires. I put the 37s on and never had a problem other than incorrect speedometer. Never reprogrammed it.

You don't HAVE to reprogram it unless you don't want it incessantly hunting for gears on long highway inclines, or your speedometer being off by around 9mph.

I never reprogrammed mine because it drove fine, and I knew it was about 9mph off because I calculated it. Never cared to spend the money for programmer at the time and then just never ended up doing it.

Once I have 5.13 axles and 40s I will definitely reprogram.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

on a 12 and up jk with auto having your speedo off by 10mph is going to screw up your driveability no matter what gears you have. also you don't need the vin to check the grears just jack up your jeep and spin the tire and count rotations compared to what the drive shaft is rotating.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
I never reprogrammed mine because it drove fine, and I knew it was about 9mph off because I calculated it. Never cared to spend the money for programmer at the time and then just never ended up doing it.
I think saying it drove fine is a bit of a stretch as with the screwed up shift points for these tires you were putting more strain on the engine and transmission but it's your drive train
Additionally it would be 9mph at a specific speed as your offset really is a percentage based on the difference of the tire circumference.

Getting back to issue at hand. If you still have check engine light pull codes using a reader. Also since you are looking to upgrade the axles and gears consider investing into a gizmo that will allow you to modify tire size and gear ratio. You will need it anyways.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Driving with 37s on 3.21 will be absolutely miserable.
I don't disagree. My previous post was just in reference to you're gonna need a tuner anyhow......and may as well get one and make the best of the current situation....unless the axle's previous owner is willing to give you your money back for em. Kinda just make the best of a bad situation. I'd be frustrated as well if they were supposed to be 3.73 and are not. Time to confirm one way or another. IF they are not, and the person who sold em was a friend, maybe you guys can work something out in regards to a reduced price at least.

If they are 3.21 gears, at least with a tuner the jeep would be driveable while you build out your 14b. Not ideal, but serviceable at least as transportation while you build. I sure hope that is all it is.....gearing/computer issue and not something bigger.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
on a 12 and up jk with auto having your speedo off by 10mph is going to screw up your driveability no matter what gears you have. also you don't need the vin to check the grears just jack up your jeep and spin the tire and count rotations compared to what the drive shaft is rotating.
My drivability was fine. I would never have gone 2 years this way if it was not. I manually shift my Jeep most of the time anyway as I learned to drive on a manual tranny and drove one for 8 years until I got the Jeep, habit I guess, and also makes it worlds better than driving a 3.73 geared Jeep on 37s in automatic.

If I'm not mistaken, that gear check trick won't work with non stock size tires. I could be wrong. Any who, it will be hard to differentiate by eye between 3.73 and 3.21 possibly. I heard something about counting teeth on the ring gear but idk if thats legitimate
Old 11-02-2017, 12:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I don't disagree. My previous post was just in reference to you're gonna need a tuner anyhow......and may as well get one and make the best of the current situation....unless the axle's previous owner is willing to give you your money back for em. Kinda just make the best of a bad situation. I'd be frustrated as well if they were supposed to be 3.73 and are not. Time to confirm one way or another. IF they are not, and the person who sold em was a friend, maybe you guys can work something out in regards to a reduced price at least.

If they are 3.21 gears, at least with a tuner the jeep would be driveable while you build out your 14b. Not ideal, but serviceable at least as transportation while you build. I sure hope that is all it is.....gearing/computer issue and not something bigger.
Yeah, I am 99% sure its just the computer behaving weird due to 3.21 gears with a computer that thinks they are 3.73. It will suck but yeah it would be much better to find out I have 3.21 gears than finding out I have some mechanical problems.

The guy I got them from is just a local guy, owns a couple shops around here. Air Force veteran, seemed like a good dude. If they are 3.21 Im sure he would understand if I were to request he give me some of my money back. Maybe not. Who knows.

About to order a programmer to sort this out, I just haven't decided which yet. Don't want to spend for the $300+ ones.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

About to order a programmer to sort this out, I just haven't decided which yet. Don't want to spend for the $300+ ones.
I have a Bully Dog....can tell you don't get that as it's just not super user friendly. I have used a Superchips Flascal F5 unit before and it was a nice interface

If I'm not mistaken, that gear check trick won't work with non stock size tires. I could be wrong. Any who, it will be hard to differentiate by eye between 3.73 and 3.21 possibly. I heard something about counting teeth on the ring gear but idk if thats legitimate
That hub is turning just the same regardless of what size tire is mounted on it. It might not be as obvious as trying to determine if it was 3.21 vs 4.56, but I'd think you should be able to tell. Put a piece of tape of something on the tire.....turn the DS by hand 3 times.....did the tire make almost a full rotation, or does it take almost 4 DS rotations to turn the tire once?
Old 11-02-2017, 05:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Gears are mechanical tire size won't change the gear ratio only the effective ratio. Rotate tire 10 times count rotations of the driveshaft. Is it 32 or 37?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update. Got a superchips tuner in today and told it 37s with 3.21 and the jeep drove normally and the check engine light went off.

I relayed this info to the guy I bought axles from and he said that it was strange because he ran a 3.73 tune on the axles.

I might go out at lunch later and see what happens if I type in 3.73.

Does this make any sense? Could it run both ways? What if they ARE 3.73 and it’s running on 3.21 tune? Either that is the case, or the guy ran 3.21 gears on 3.73 tune...unless he is totally bullshitting because he sold me the axles in the first place knowing they were not the ratio he was saying they were.

I feel like I financed his little SEMA trip because it wasn’t like a week before....maybe he was being a dickhole and selling me the axles as what I needed when he knew they weren’t, because he just wanted money for SEMA.

he’s an Air Force vet and business owner. Didn’t seem like a liar. But maybe he is.

Quick Reply: Auto Trans won’t Manually Shift. 2012